Fanatec Driver 402 (before 399) incl. new Firmware Manager for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• Speaking only for my self, but I have had my DD1 for two years now, trouble free. The early drivers where a bit skethcy, but in my opinion that is to be expected for a new product. Later drivers have been good and stable. Using 381 now, and no odd behaviour at all. I have several wheels, all behave as they should.

Some jolts once in a while when the display is showing anything else than the Fanatec logo, but as the display is mostly hidden behind the wheel it is not a problem for me.

As always users that are happy seldom post on forums, and I guess a large percentage of users aren't even on the forums.

• As far as these jolts are concerned, is it best to have the screen on anything but the Fanatec Logo screen? I only really feel the jolts when turning the base on and off, but probably don't feel the other jolts while playing as I have bass shakers etc.

• You do not need to go to the properties page, just press the pedals after starting your wheel base before you start driving

• It certainly is, if you don't own a DD1/2 already i wouldn't step in at this moment also.

Last driver / firmware is from January, no known progress on the fixes / future development and it wouldn't surprise me if Fanatec came up with an updated version of the DD1 / 2 with an inrunner motor ( that basically is a larger version of the CSL-DD), the QR2 by default and some other fancy features and would give existing Podium users who thought there would ever come a solution for issues that are open for such a long time the (3rd one from the left or right) finger.

• Folks - lost as what to do here. CSL Elite (PS4 version) on the PC keeps disconnecting. I even tried to downgrade the firmware, and no go. It will show up in device manager/controllers but disconnects as soon as I start a game. Any ideas?

• I would give it a go again. Using the DD1 here since the beginning and never had big problems. Ok, qr is not the best, but no other issues here.

The Jolts are very rare and don’t Hit That hard. I don’t see anything against this base.

• I hope you're totally wrong...

My DD2 has 5y warranty, if they send anything to replace this DD's without fixing current problems I'll ask to return mine, but I sincerely hope this doesn't happen, I like Fanatec, usually defend it, but if they do this I'll get very very angry and will demand to return mine, when i bought it there were certain functions announced that still not work correctly, so I'll demand return and refund.

But, like I said, I really hope that's not the case...

• How does SC2 compare ? Im going to trial one this weekend for myself

• I think they are well aware of this fact, so there won't be new versions of the Podium DDs until this is fixed.

• I hope that i'm wrong also but looking at the recent history when it comes down to software / driver development , the quality control of it and the fact we keep getting the same repeating message "we are aware of it, but it's a lot of work" for more than 1.5 year now doesn't give me a lot of faith in a happy end on this topic ;)

But things can change so let's hope i'm misjudging this big time.

If that is true the current versions are probably also the last version of the Podium series with the current speed of development 😂

• making mistakes is human ...... the absurd thing is that none of fanatec seriously respond to user complaints, silence, apart from "we are working on it", "it is known", which is not an answer, they believe there is will we forget?

• Hello everybody,

I also feel tremors sometimes, but not always

he does it at corner entry, but does not do it in all laps

sometimes it is very annoying when you are in the race,

I hope they update these drivers soon

for the cost they have it is not nice, sometimes it happened to me

that the pedals are both brake and accelerator in the race the vibration is activated continuously at maximum and does not stop until I restart the whole base, and the other evening the car was accelerated in a braking even after removing the foot of the accelerator and braking, I had to restart everything again, to be honest I'm not very happy, I spent a lot of money on Fanatec ... Pedal base 2 steering wheels 2 damper kits

more than 2600 €, so one expects the best but for now it is not

I hope they resolve it as soon as possible, I am very irritated

• Since I have a wheel base (CSW 2.5), I am in no hurry to upgrade to DD. Instead, I decided to buy a Recteq grill instead 😂.

I'm going to let the market shake out a bit, as I do believe the CSL DD will be a game changer in the next year. I think other companies (simcube, VRS, Thrustmaster, etc. will either offer DD's, or bring forth cheaper versions of their DD's (obviously with lower NM).

Fanatec is the first out the gate with a reasonably priced DD, but I am sure others will follow as the CSL is really going to pull the rug out on the higher priced hardware. At least, I suspect it will.

• That’s why it’s important that we “the users” keep reminding them they have some work to do. Besides that it should also be a “warning” for future customers that the although the hardware is top notch their software certainly isn’t.

And some would say people who keep reminding them are just a bunch of salty users but hey… we paid premium for the podium series so I think we have the right to expect premium support also. 😉

• I was a Fanatec DD2 user, due to some unresolved problems I sold everything and today I am a Simucube Ultimate user, I am immensely happy, I have no problems and the equipment in my opinion is much superior.

• Well as an Simucube SC2 sport and DD2 user i can say that if you are a bit less biased and run them both for a longer period (aka after the honeymoon period ;) ) you will notice the SC2 isn't perfect either (try to find some nice steering wheels for it that won't cost you your kidneys or a lung. Not even mentioning the "wireless" part which is way more limited than the Fanatec wheels).

I do however agree on the software part and the way they solve their issues.

• its simucube compatible with Playstation?

• Well, it seems that a little bit if they are forgetting about us. but I am sure that the waiting time is to get some incredible driver that will leave us all amazed. You have to have a little family patience. Although a message from them informing about the situation would calm things down;). Greetings to all

• That is what people are expecting over more than 1.5 year now. Let’s stop saying “just wait a little bit longer” and stop downplaying the fact that Fanatec is letting it’s users that bought a premium flagship model down big time.

It has been awful quit since the last release in Februari, another 4 months already while the last driver introduced new issues also.

• It’s pathetic really. Anyone that says it’s not is a blind fan boy. I still think it’s a hardware issue myself that’s why there’s no fix.

• I agree .... otherwise the change from out-runner to in-runner in the new csl dd base would not be explained, if they had been convinced they would have kept it

• The simucube 2 is better overall than the DD wheelbases, for a handful of reasons.

The simucube 2 is a smoother motor to turn noticeably, perfectly smooth in fact unless you introduce friction and then you feel... well friction.

The simucube 2 is also noticeably faster, particularly because you have access in the software to slew rates which means you can adjust the speed and responsiveness of the motor, often it feels better slowed down a bit actually but it's for sure capable of being faster.

The simucube 2 also uses more advanced hardware, the encoder resolution is 22bit compared to 16bit of the fanatec hardware, this allows for over 4 million points of rotation in one 360 degree turn of the wheel compared to 65 thousand points on the fanatec but honestly this makes little difference to a human, both respond to even the faintest touch, I suspect this difference would be seen in a factory setting where robots are trying to be as accurate as possible.

The simucube 2 has a far far better QR, its incredibly solid, impossible to flex even when trying aslong as you have a stiff wheel rim. The simucube is also compatible with many wireless wheels, truly wireless, you can disconnect them from the base and still operate all the functions. The fanatec is wireless but only within the wheelbase which is actually better from a functionality standpoint, wheels on the fanatec are powered by the base and it allows for many more functions on the steering wheel, the simucube wireless is a little more limited here but it is a more "true" wireless system, no pins involved.

I have to say with all this said the fanatec system does have some healthy advantages that I miss but not as much as I thought I would, being able to adjust settings on the wheel in the game is just awesome, the simucube requires you tab out to adjust the software. The fanatec also has the advantage of its wheel ecosystem, each wheel comes with the fanatec QR which means slot straight on, third party wheels for simucube are amazing but you do need to buy a quick release for each wheel separate. This can be very costly but the wheels you get are honestly on another level, I have a cube controls formula pro wheel and nothing fanatec comes close... but it was costly.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks . I did that trial and have to admit i wasnt blown away by the SC2 . I think this was more to do with how the wheel was set upnin the software maybe.

I dont think the difference was enough for me to swap out.

Third party wheels can attach using podium hub and yes the current QR is not great but i am patiently waiting for qr2 .

Also think that swapping between sims is more fluid and ability to change settings on the fly are big advantages.

• edited June 2021

Currently on Driver 380 & Wheelbase FW 679 (I know, its old)

*forgot to say- Wheel Base Motor FW 22

Is it worth me updating my driver & firmware? I'm using a CSW2.5.

Thanks.

• any idea on the timing for an update? or a road map on what you are doing ...... an answer would be welcome ... thanks

• Gordon JonesGordon Jones Member
    edited June 2021

"KNOWN ISSUES - PBME on Xbox: Guide button acts as long press instead of short press, even when pressed briefly."

Can you please fix this problem which has been going on for a year now.

Is anybody there?

• new driver will most likely come with the release of the announced products. I wouldn't bet on a new driver until then.

• thanks Sascha, but I have not followed, the release of the new bases when it comes true? thank you

• first batch of the CSL DD is planned to ship to customers mid september, so expect a new driver around this time at latest.

This discussion has been closed.