Csl DD strange 'click' sound when turn to left

Hi all. Just arrived my DD base and McLaren wheel V2 with lite quick release and very weird behaviour was imediatedly note: when i made a severe turn to left, some inside wheel sound clearly like 'click'.

No erratic behaviour of the car, nothing more than a loud 'click' inside it.

any clues?

Comments

• Best would be to provide a video of what you mean..

• I think it's the qr of the Mclaren V2, got the same issue. The issue is not present with my Formula Carbon wheel

• Same here with CSL DD and McLaren V2 on a lite-QR...

I just ordered a QR1 today, to make sure this 'click' comes from the lite-QR.

• edited August 2021

Things are getting worse. At heavy left turns (like beginning of raise from Laguna Seca), after loud click wheel itself stuck and also stuck raceroom...

what the hell!

listen to 0:17 sec of the attached audio file.

Ticket support raised

• Have you tried removing the QR, clean the bolts, lightly oil them, wipe surface between QR and back of wheel and re-install?

• Yep. I did it.

Everything was well fitted. Reassembled and still have that weird 'turn left click' inside

• The CSL DD has a collar on the QR. Have you tried undoing it and re attaching it again?

Can you feel the 'click' through the wheel?

Try it again and even have one of your hands on the base to see if you can feel the 'click' through the base?

• Nothing is transmitted through whell.

If you heard the click (see previous messages) seem to be microswitch inside wheel, that is pressed by QR.

But how it 'click' once is firmly attached to DD and moreover only on left turns, is a mistery

• I would have presumed that it is a mechanical issue with the QR. Someone else has the same problem which I am concerned as I have ordered the same wheel amd base...

• Hello,

I have the same problem. I have made a video about it. But here it was in a right turn. According to my feeling it is a little harder in left turns. But here it did not happen in the few laps for the video.

https://streamable.com/koulbb

• I was having the same issue although my click wasn't nearly as loud as the video, but it felt very off putting when I felt it in the wheel. I got a qr1 quick release today and immediately it made the sound far quieter and I could barely feel it in the wheel. Using the additional locator pin has completely eliminated the problem for me 😁

• Same here for me.

QR1 came today. Without the additional pin/screw the clicking-noise was already gone, but i had much more mechanical play than with the "cheaper" QR.

After using that additional screw, there is no play and no clicking anymore.

• I have identified the clicking source, it is the key-slot on the hub clicking against the sides of the groove in the output shaft of the CSL DD, the 8nm torque is great enough to cause the hub to shift left and right in the slot suddenly and "click" as it contacts the sides of the groove, you can prove this by holding on to the end of the hub at the shaft while turning, you will actually feel it move back and forth. I fear that this will eventually break the pins that connect the hub to the motor base. I cut a small 1/4" strip of heavy electrical tape and placed it in the groove of the shaft to take up the sloppy fit, and it actually made my clicking go away, the tape was strong enough to hold through wheel changes. this is a VERY temporary solution and the sloppy fit of the output shaft to the hub is something that I didn't expect from a company like FANATEC. I hope they address this issue without making the consumer pay for it with a costly replacement or upgrade.

• Please could you post some photos?

Thanks in advance!

• Here are the photos Holger, the little strip of heavy electrical tape takes up enough of the "sloppy fit" to stop the clicking and movement on the output shaft. if you look closely to the hub interior keyway, it is tapered on the sides allowing it to move in the more "squared off" channel in the shaft. the tape has stood up to hours of hard driving in rally and offroad conditions, and survived many wheel changes, as you can see, I have 5 of the CSL-UH setups and two wheels with the QR1 aluminum, both systems still fit, and have no movement that I can detect now, I know this is a temporary fix, but for now it allows me to use the CSL DD at full 8Nm power without risking the pins in the hub. FANATEC has been notified, and wants a video of the issue.. by now a video is moot, the problem is painfully obvious. and I fear the "fix" will be expensive.

• Just got my CSL DD haven't noticed anything for the first day but today it started getting a dull click feeling as I steer under fairly heavy ffb. no audible sounds but certainly feels like its slipping in that groove. (running boost kit)

• FYI,

the tape I used is 8/1000 inch or .2032mm thick,

Since then I have not felt the clicking or slip of the CSL UH on the shaft.

the tape is still stable and survives many wheel changes over the last few hours of racing.

As I see it, this is more of an issue with the ability of the CSL UH to firmly grip the output shaft at 8Nm. 

And not that there are any real problems with the CSL DD base.

the CSL UH Simplified QR inner compression sleeve and channel tolerances are the real issue,

and only when paired with the CSL DD at 8Nm.

for now the tape is keeping the motor shaft socket from moving against the hub pins, and also curing the clicking noise.

• Hello Marek

you video shows a very different sounding "Click" than my unit, it is much more pronounced, I believe you are experiencing a different issue entirely, especially since this is occurring with a metal QR1. the sound my unit makes is much softer and sounds like plastic to metal contact, not a pronounced mechanical click like yours.

I hope they figure these strange behaviors soon so that customer confidence can be restored.

as for my issue I reported to the workshop what I did with the tape, and asked if it violated the warranty, they replied;

"Hi Michael,

thanks for getting back to us.

As soon as I hear about the results from our development department on a permanent fix I'll let you know. For now you can continue using the base with the tape to minimize the play of the QR1 Lite on the base hub without affecting your warranty on the products."

• edited September 2021

• Hello Michael,

thank you for sharing the answer of the support.

I have created a ticket. They will send me a new QR to test if it can solve the problem.

If not I will try your solution.

@Jeffrey, No, they are like that. I have the limited F1 2021 Wheel

• Great 😀 it works with the tape.no click, perfect and silent

great job thanks

but i'm curious how fanatec wants to solve the problem
    that can't be a long-term solution for a product which costs 500 euros
    I hope that they will get in touch with customers via newsletter etc. as soon as a solution is available

• Thank You Micheal! I had the same problem and the tape fixed it. I hope Fanatec addresses this issue, but appreciate your fix!

• Juan ValeroJuan Valero Member
    edited November 2021

Do you happen to have the pictures that you can re-upload please? (Maybe imgur is a better choice) The links seem to be dead. Thanks!

• Ivan LaraIvan Lara Member
    edited November 2021

I have the same problem, just arrived yesterday and already experienced the issue (bought a QR1, another 100$ expended in the wheel + base), Fanatec has to take responsibility on this issue.

• edited November 2021

@Juan Valero - I managed to find Michael's photo via Google. I have the same issue. I might try it but even with the tape to reduce the gap there will always be some gap and some slippage, even if very small. I might just get the metal QR instead.

As a backup for future reference: https://imgur.com/a/BVUC68Z

• Just tried it with the tape and the clunking seems to have gone. Have you heard any more from Fanatec support @Michael Duran?