Fanatec Driver 457 Release Candidate for CSL, ClubSport and Podium (all wheels)

Comments

• This what I am saying - the code is faulty and you are right in that over-driving on the PCB side can have all sorts of weirds effects…random failure, overheating, mismanagement of system processes all the way from boot up, to task delegation and system resource application.

The FW was not designed in a manner conducive to the hardware on the board, hence the issues and constant updates to try and nail down the culprit.

• It's just strange, I'm a DD + user and was having on average 1-2 disconnects every 30 mins.

I have now installed the hotfix shared a few pages back. And I haven't had a single issue now since I installed it last Thursday. And the wheel just feels smoother.

• Raymond XuRaymond Xu Member
    edited June 11

Hi Chris, you expressed my frustration (page 20-21) clearly and extensively since I'm not a native English speaker. I don't hate Fanatec or their products. I just feel something is out of their control and they simply don't have a clue of what's going on. That scares me. After all it's a thousand-dollar product and we can accept that it had some minor issues but not this level or scale of breakdown. The reliability is terrible.

I've seen multiple professional GT drivers and big Youtube streamers encountered the disconnects/freeze issue and destroyed their race. That's a shame because when the product works it's actually very good.

edited June 11

From what I can see the main chip on the PCBA of DD+ is labeled "Atmel ATSAME70Q21 CN". Should be revision B. I'm not a tech guy so not sure if the firmware is over-driving the chip or other components.

Chip's page: ATSAME70Q21 | Microchip Technology

• Tomaz HocevarTomaz Hocevar Member
    edited June 11

So i noticed that handbrake input is very jumpy all of a sudden. Anyone else? I don't have the patience anymore to test with which update it has started to behave like that...

• Raymond Xu

by default that is what makes DD/ DD+ best in market but something else seems ruin this device

• So driver 457 will be released as an official?

• Hi Raymond,

The Atmel MCU is an older chip. A 'legacy' product if you will. Mirochip acquired Atmel several years back, and this is one of the carryover parts. The B rev is a die revision, normally after several years in production IC manufacturers will reduce the footprint or size of the die, and improve overal functionality, reliability etc. Or, a die rev can be on account of a different sub contractor now manufacturing it. Of all the IC's on the planet, 80%+ of them come from one of 3 or 4 major subcons who produce the raw subsrtate, wafers, and ultimately die (aka - the silicon chip).

Not to say it is bad product, it is well proven hence the long lifespan as it uses memory profiles and ARM Cortex M7 processing, which is current and still widely adopted in many consumer-based applications. Also, the programmer used to load profiles on the chip (MPLAB), is a well known socket programmer in the inductry.

TL/DR - I dont think the chip is the issue...I think the firware design being loaded onto it is.

edited June 12

Thanks for the detailed info Chris.

Also I discovered that the chip was mounted to the printed board using BGA packaging. While it has some advantages, it also has potential issues like being sensitive to board bending or other mechanical stress that leads to potential reliability issues over time, especially considering the high-intensity movements and vibrations of a 15nm wheel base. Typically if you want to maximize the mechanical stability, LGA is the better choice. This could be the reason why some bases were being good for weeks then suddenly bricked and never came back since.

Though the freeze issue (auto-reconnect in a few seconds) should have nothing to do with this, more likely a firmware issue.

Again I'm not a tech guy. This is based on what I actually found in a DD+ base and some Google search.

• BWX 232BWX 232 Member

GT DD Extreme, Metal QR2, PS5, CSL Elite V2 Pedals (hooked up to wheel

Clubsport handbrake v1.5 (hooked up to wheel),

Driver 457 on PC.

Wheelbase FW 2.1.0.4 "CS_DD_v2.1.0.4_hotfix_disconnection_issue_test_release.eff" manually installed after installing all 457 drivers.

Wheel FW 1.0.7.0 (457) 

Wireless QR FW 1.1.0.3 (test FW June 7th)

Base S/N:GR01401xxxx

GT DD X Wheel s/n GQ47302xxxx

Good news, no disconnects or freezes/ lockups since installing the WQR 1.1.0.3 FW. Several hours of use on GT7.

I've seen other people say they have had freezing/ locking up / soft disconnect with same firmwares installed as I have though.

But I do have a jumpy hand brake signal as you can see in my last post youtube vid.

Reposting vid because someone mentioned theirs is also doing this.

https://youtu.be/6XVLYw7CdLM

• Random disconnects today didn’t notice last few weeks but only do an hour a day. See there a hot fix. Is there a proper fix coming soon for this ps5 gt7.

thanks In advance

• edited June 12

It's still under investigation. We've received some affected bases but unfortunately it was still not easy to reproduce the issue and work on a fix so there seems to be more to it than anyone thinks...

• Is it software? Also is is common for most

• edited June 12

"It's still under investigation. We've received some affected bases but unfortunately it was still not easy to reproduce the issue and work on a fix so there seems to be more to it than anyone thinks..."

Not much to add to this at this point.

• let me guess. slow speed vs fast speed don't want mach each other very well?

• edited June 12

I don’t get it. Does the hotfix only work for some. I’m convince it only happened on cars with heavier steering.

• Apparently, yes.

• David you should try if it works for you or not. there is also one other issue what people talks

• edited June 12

Mine is back from cool whine repair a few weeks. They must have put 457 on also while they had it. How can u check what firmware u have on the wheel without a laptop?

just a little odd iM only getting it today 3 weeks later.

• The firmware is shown in every steering wheel Display on every boot.

I think it's highly unlikely that the support flashes a beta firmware to a customer product during a RMA.

• edited June 12

Would they update the base from 455 to 457?

so on boot up I’m looking for ether of these numbers on my screen yes?

• What did I just wrote?😅

"I think it's highly unlikely that the support flashes a beta firmware to a customer product during a RMA."

• edited June 12

Sorry my bad. It’s all new to me. My base got a

new pcb board thingy. Just presumed they would update to latest driver. Never mind thanks anyway.

makes my more confused as I didn’t think same disconnected issues were same on 455 and 457. Why I presumed I’m on 457.

• BWX 232BWX 232 Member

"I don’t get it. Does the hotfix only work for some. I’m convince it only happened on cars with heavier steering."

I ran the Le Mans McLaren TT and had FFB up pretty far, for me. Not crazy. But it was definitely heavy at times especially going over curbs or hitting bumps. Pretty heavy jolts going through the wheel. I don't like to run extremely heavy FFB, I prefer to get a more realistic experience if possible. I thought there was a correlation between settings and freezing issues, but not so sure now. I think most of my disconnects and soft discos have been with much weaker FFB than this.

GT DD Extreme

- In GT7 -

5 on top slider, 8 on bottom slider.

- On Wheel -

SEN: AUTO

FFB: 60

NDP: 10

NFR: OFF

NIN: OFF

INT: 5

FEI: 100

FOR: 100

SPR/ DPR: OFF

This FFB felt really nice BTW. Lots of info around center and also weighted up nicely.

• urs ok now so ? What did u do

I’ll see later which driver im on.

• Hello dear developers,

my specs:

DD2, Podium Hub with APM, Podium Hub with Club Sport Magnetic Paddles, CS SW Formula V2 with APM or BMW M4 GT3.

After a long term testing I can tell you, that the driver 457 with wheel base firmware 3.1.0.7 is responsible for random miss shiftings.

It doesn't matter which game or steering wheel I use. RRE, ACC or AMS2. About 4 miss shiftings occur within an hour, both when upshifting and when downshifting. No shifting operations are carried out for one shifter input. After that the shifting processes work again until it happens again in isolated cases. ... very randomly, but it happens.

With the wheel base firmware 3.0.4.3 and driver 455 this doesn't happens. With driver 455 and wheel base firmware 3.0.4.3 there are no miss shiftings.

Many regards

Michael Hartmann

• Played on Xbox, pc and ps5 now since patch last Friday. Best part of 30-40 hrs races and not a single drop out using DD+.

I like a heavy wheel and no issues. Even maxed out totally to feel the total force. What a work out that was. Still not a single issue.

• Damion patch as in the hot fix? What issues had u prior to this?

• @Maurice if I’m reading correctly and there is some correlation between the weight of the FFB and the disconnects could I ask what weight they guys testing in the factory are using?

In Fanalab it says I’m using 5nm and in GT 7 I have the FFB at 100% so my assumption is the 5nm is the max torque I should feel in game. I didn’t get the disconnects anywhere near as often a some people in here and I play every night for between 3-4 hours. My experience was I may experience it once or twice a week until I back dated my base to 455 and after that I didn’t have any occurrence up to the point it was taken for an RMA for an unrelated issue.

My theory is if we can find a weight which limits or even eliminates the issue for users until you can get an update released then people who aren’t able to play consistently at the moment may have some luck with it. I know it may not be that simple but it may be worth trying.

Thank you for everything you’re doing.