wheels losing connection or freezing

During use, all inputs and displays from the Formula V2 go dead. Nothing on the display, button or paddle inputs no longer go through. Seems to occur randomly and difficult to reproduce on command, but is happening often enough that I can't finish a race in iRacing or ACC.

Also happens with my round rim that uses the Endurance Button Module and Podium Hub in exactly the same manner.

I've noticed that the wheel is no longer displayed in game controller driver settings when this happens. Sometimes it seems that restarting the base will restore working order, but the issue will occur again soon after if I continue. Other times even restarting won't do it, but oddly removing and reinstalling the same wheel does . . . briefly. Of course it happens again not long after.

I've flashed the wheels firmware, and also tried multiple update versions. No change. Odd because it didn't start until about a week or two ago. Starting to wonder if they borked something with the wheelbase firmware, but I have no clue. I'm just using whatever the newest wheelbase firmware listed is.

While I wait to hear back from support, I'm trying things like using other USB ports, just to rule out variables. No luck yet.

I'm seeing some scary long wait times listed in other posts regarding Fanatec support. I'm not interested in waiting several weeks to resolve this, so hopefully they get back to me before I move on to a Simucube system.

Comments

• I'm having the exact same issues. I'm starting to think it is an intermittent loss of connection within the podium hub. I've tried tightening the bolts around the pins and also removed the QR and tightened the three bolts that live under it. It seems to have helped a bit but not sure it has fixed it - will need to test longer - ran out of time yesterday. Already wasted about 10 hours on this.

• Whatever it is, it's bad. It's unusable like this.

Especially odd because it was fine until it wasn't. I'm relatively new to the direct drive setup and only used the formula wheel at first. But I did without any issue like this, until a week or so ago. Became a consistent issue about a week ago, but happened two or three times before that, just not every session. Now I can't even finish a race, sometimes not even the first few corners.

If you have any luck, please share.

• Yup, mine had been ok for the best part of a year, the it wasn't!

Well at the risk of jinxing everything, I raced for four hours today without a single freeze on my Porsche wheel PBME. Previously the PBME would freeze or I would lose FFb every 10 minute or so. It could be coincidence but the only change I made was to tighten the hex bolts on the podium hub which are visible in the QR and then actually remove the QR and tighten the bolts that are hidden by it. None were loose but they all moved a quarter to a half turn. So far so good. Not convinced this is a permanent fix though.

The weird thing is that I was almost certain that it wasn't caused by flex - i had previously turned up the force to the max and driven like a mad man to see if I could force the issue to happen - it wouldn't freeze on demand though!

• Sam BridgesSam Bridges Member
    edited November 2020

Yeah seems odd but if it keeps working, I'd take it. Thanks for sharing. Please post again as things progress!

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Sam,

Just confirming that can see your ticket on our system.

The support tickets system is currently backlogged by about a week, unfortunately. This should improve over the coming days.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• edited November 2020

Fanatec DD1 + universal hub xbox + on pc + drivers 352 or drivers 373 and same problem

oddly the problem started a week ago.

• Did anyone have a Windows update around the time that the problem started?

• Dont remember but i had the same thought.

• I did not have this issue with the drivers 373, however I played ACC with the Porsche Module with Drivers 380 and I had the same issue on a race.

Paddles shifts complety stop working, no buttons working on thhe module and devices not recognize by Windows.

It worked again by turning off & On...

• Has anyone else having this issue run the 'repair' function of the driver installers? I very cautiously think it may have helped.

• Nevermind, its still happening even after running the repair function of the driver.

• i have this problem too( loss of communication, ffb, shift , buttons, display but i can turn the wheel , throtle and brake works.) only on maclaren gt3 and (2)huniversal hub(flat1) with the formula black and bmw gt2 no.

and i tryed evreything (or not)

diferent usb ports (rog maximus xi hero wi-fi) diferent drivers 328,346,352,362,365,372,373,380 . this start in march . i already sent the maclaren wheel to fanatec and got it back without any explanation. so, i thought the problem was on my side and continued to try different solutions(?) that i learned on this forum (thanks everyone) and nada

3 weeks ago i formatted the ssd and installed win 10 home again without success

DD1 (may 2019)

win 10 home 2004

my knouledge about this problem is exhausted so i am here ask for help.

thank you .carlos

• Please do contact Fanatec Support, you may have a hardware problem.

• thank you. i already did. waiting for fanatec answer

• So my problems continue. I've been in touch with support and they helpfully replaced the Podium Hub but the freezing continues with the new one and I have now discovered the freezes also occur with my other wheels - I've really only used the Porsche PBME wheel since I got it so wasn't aware that the issue was now happening with all wheels. Strangely it very rarely happens on the cheapest, lightest plastic wheel - the McLaren GT3, but the freezes happen occasionally on the wheel on the Universal Hub. The freezes are worst on the Porsche wheel though - within a lap!

I've also realised through further testing that I can replicate the loss of connection simply by running the FFB test in the driver so I'm as certain as I can be that this is simply a mechanical loss of connection under vibration or flex / stress. (i've checked and double checked all cables and they are secure - moving / shaking them does not cause freezes)

I'm hoping that a new QR shaft might fix it - would certainly rather try that than have the hassle of having to dismantle everything to send back the wheelbase. Mine is showing obvious signs of being a poor fit - lots of deep erosion and wear marks - not just in the anodisation but quite deep gouges. Have sent support videos of the connection losses and of the QR wear - waiting on their response.

• Well, I've been told by support that my freezes are due to my DD2 being faulty so that needs to go back to be looked at. Hope this doesn't take too long.

• I had a similar problem start yesterday. I tried also repairing the driver and restarting the base, restarting PC, etc. but it would appear again. Game was only in iRacing. Wheel is R300 mounted to Uni Hub with Advanced Paddle Module. The symptom was a brief disconnect of the wheel, occasional missed shifts (APM), LED went blank, and mysteriously ITM would start showing the motor stats instead of the pack I had selected in Fanalab.

It is worth noting that I installed the latest GE Force driver update just before the symptoms started. Prior to this I had no flaws in the base and drive almost daily with it for over six months.

• Interesting. I think I had a geforce update too. Probably coincidence - geforce updates are not uncommon.

• Come to find out that I don't think that was it. I think it may have been a poor RGB lighting connection. More specifically, I ran out of the three pin digital connectors on the motherboard and used a four pin. I then reconfigured the addressable LEDs to the three pin and the problem cleared.

The lesson to me is that it could be multiple things that cause these symptoms. I'll post up in here is the problem reemerges.

• Good luck

• Same problem here but with a brand new CSL Wheel Base.

In ACC in game the wheel it seems lije "disconnected" : no FFB and wheel turn to left or right till the end of rotation with ffb shocks.

This happens randomly and only after a restart of the wheel base in Fanalab I can restore it.

I sent an email to support. Hope to have a solution....

• I have the exact same issue with a v2.5 wheel base, the wheel base/wheel loses all contact with terminal and no buttons work.

Have you had your issue resolved? Was the waiting time long? My equipment is 1 month old and I have been waiting since before before Christmas for a response from Fanatec. Feeling let down is an understatement!

• My wheel base went in for repair. Took around 4 weeks in total - including shipping etc. Mine is better now but I still have intermittent issues where the FFB disappears then comes back and the ITM on the PBME no longer works. Only removing and replacing the wheel fixes it. Support have asked for a video but I've not been able to make one yet - it only happens when i'm not filming!

• hi nicole, it seems that I have the same problem with my brand new fanatec equipment.

every 8.5 minutes (whether in game or just in the menus) looses connection/freezes pedals dont work, steering wheel no response till i reset the base unit via the mode button.

have you managed to fix this issue?

regard

Ulic

• edited December 2020

I receive a reply to ticket sent to Fanatec Support.

They asked me to do some checks on connection status, not only on Fanalab but also on Fanatec Wheel program.

The problem happened also yesterday on a 80min race: last two laps without any ffb and wheel turn completely to right.

I sent a video to Fanatec support. I'm waiting for their reply.

• I also sent a video yesterday, i made sure the firmware showed up on the wheel at start up, how the wheel calibrated, i showed the wheel working and the moment it failed to work.

this morning i received a email saying they want me to send the base unit back , they are going to send another email with how to send it back later.....

so, i think they are doing their best at sorting out .....fingers crossed

• Thanks for info Ulrich.

This problem can happened.

• Just an update.

Today I sent back my wheel base to Fanatec Support via RMA procedure.

Randomly the issue continue.

Hope to receive some good news soon.

• A positive feedback to Fanatec technical service.

Really quick to solve and send back my wheel.

At now wheel runs ok.

• Hi Nicola, thanks for the feedback as I have the same problem...

Problem dissapeared but came back again so it's quite random.

I made a video:

https://youtu.be/U0gFjEd5FqM

I contacted support so hopefully I will be able to send the wheel ASAP.

Quick question, what's the process for sending the wheel? Do you need to go to the local post, pay the fees etc?

Thanks!