Which version of Fanalab corresponds to which driver version?

I'm currently running the 415 drivers with all the corresponding firmware for my CSL DD and McLaren GT3v2 wheel, along with Fanalab v1.57.4. No complaints to speak of, but I'm considering updating my drivers to the latest (official?) package, 429, which is available here:

Which version of Fanalab should I be using with this, in order to minimize potential problems? The whole situation is rather confusing, as this driver version (429) does not match up with the version (415) shown in the "Latest Public Final Drivers" thread here:

Looking through that thread, it says that when using drivers v415, Fanalab v1.57.4 is recommended. So then when I go to the Fanalab thread for v1.57.4 here:

...it says the recommended driver version is 423 (!!!??)

Seriously, WTF. Can someone please point me in the right direction without leading me around in circles? Should I update anything? Or just stick with what I've got? I like to keep relatively up to date, but I don't want to be messing around with untested (or minimally tested) beta versions of things if I don't have to.

Comments

• edited December 2021

FanaLab 1.57.4 should not be used at all anymore. It's outdated. If used then only with also outdated driver like 402 and before.

It's FanaLab 1.60.2 or even better 1.60.6 which should be used with any driver from 409 up to 429.

And it's even mandatory to use FanaLab 1.60.6 for driver 431 and every newer driver.

• Thanks Maurice. There's a lot of conflicting messaging on this site regarding this subject, makes it very difficult IMO for people to know what is supposed to be used with what. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that that's a significant factor in a good portion of the issues that people report they're having with their setups.

• edited December 2021

As a rule of thumb ... Always use the latest FanaLab Version as it's always backwards compatible with pretty much every older driver. Pretty simple.

• I suppose, but I prefer my rule of thumb, which is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Constantly downloading the latest software just because it's "the latest and greatest" has bitten me in the backside far too many times over the years.

Regardless, thanks again for your help.

• Do let us know what you think of the latest firmware/fanalab that you decid to go with. Cheers.

• The Fanatec software development cycle is shambolic. There is absolutely no sensible reason that there are interlinked products being developed in parallel streams. Any competent development team would combine the driver function, the firmware update function and the customisation control function (i.e. Fanalab) into a single package. This would make everyone's life easier.

• Gotta say, I rather agree.

That being said, for the record, I've wound up going with driver package 429 and Fanalab 1.60.6. I originally tried 1.60.2, but I had difficulty loading setup profiles with the base in CMP mode. I'd select the profile, click Load, and nothing would happen. Installed 1.60.6, and problem solved.

I've only tested so far for a few hours in AC, but no issues to report... it all feels just as good as I remember previously.

• The loaded profile in 1.60.2 was loaded properly but just not shown as Active Profile, so it was just a visual issue and not a functional issue as every LED settings and Tuning Menu settings were loaded properly.