Podium peripherals UPDATE: Products are now available for pre-order

Comments

• Thanks Dominic
  • Podium Software (Final name still pending)
    The software has still some major problems and is simply not ready yet but you can expect at least a good beta version in May so you can try it out.

You meant the May 2020?  :D Because its July and we still have nothing available.  :-S
  • There are also upcoming button modules that will be compatible with the R300 and Podium Hub that include a Tuning Menu button and display.
    Hope that it doesn't take long for the tuning menu buttons and displays, have you guys notice that all brands of racing steering wheels come in alcantara instead of leather? Don't get me wrong but I hate to put on gloves to drive on the sim.
  • Ivan HruškaIvan Hruška Member
    edited July 2019
    Is there planned similar wheel to McLaren GT3, but in ClubSport or Podium specs?
    I mean magnetic shifters by default or compatible with APM, rev LEDs on wheel, some carbon or metal instead of plastic. 
    Overall more premium quality than CSL series. I love this "butterfly" shape and size of current McLaren GT3 wheel and something like this would be insta buy from me. 
    =P~
  • Is there planned similar wheel to McLaren GT3, but in ClubSport or Podium specs?
    I mean magnetic shifters by default or compatible with APM, rev LEDs on wheel, some carbon or metal instead of plastic. 
    Overall more premium quality than CSL series. I love this "butterfly" shape and size of current McLaren GT3 wheel and something like this would be insta buy from me. 
    =P~
    I'm in the same boat.
    I have the Mclaren, the new F1 2019 and the Forza wheel(Xbox hub).
    F1 is very well build, but is small for my hands.

The Mclaren has the perfect size, but the quality is not so good, the paddle shifters are horrible.

Maybe a BMW or Porsche GT3/GTE st.  wheel :)
  • Is there planned similar wheel to McLaren GT3, but in ClubSport or Podium specs?
    =P~
    I'd like to see basically a bigger version of the V2 formula rim's. Identical layout so I wouldn't need to memorize a different arrangement, just in a GT3 size.
  • Ivan HruškaIvan Hruška Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes, size is main problem for me with Formula wheel either. Also I personally like more when wheel is "bent" up like GT3 instead of down like on Formula.  :D
  • Is there any information about the Podium Software? Or was the project completely pulped?
  • Is there any information about the Podium Software? Or was the project completely pulped?
    It's still coming Noel. They're just sticking to the standard Fanatec release schedule principle of 'Soon! = Sometime... Eventually.'   <:-P
  • First it was called in April, then a good beta in May, now you can't hear anything anymore. I think slowly they started writing the software in May.
  • I love how a beta was promised and yet here we are. Nothing and no real update.
  • Hello to the Fanatec Team.  can you give us some kind of update on the new software? my guess at this point based off of what has been said about the software is that what you were going to put out at first was not what what people were thinking it was going to be and now you have gone back to the drawing board. I think I speak for most of us consumers when I say I understand that **** happens but please at least tell us what is going on. Being treated like mushrooms just makes us feel like we don't matter.
  • Yes, size is main problem for me with Formula wheel either. Also I personally like more when wheel is "bent" up like GT3 instead of down like on Formula.  :D
    I am in the same boat :D To be honest I would love to see a V2 of the McLaren wheel, with alcantara grips
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Hello to the Fanatec Team.  can you give us some kind of update on the new software? my guess at this point based off of what has been said about the software is that what you were going to put out at first was not what what people were thinking it was going to be and now you have gone back to the drawing board. I think I speak for most of us consumers when I say I understand that **** happens but please at least tell us what is going on. Being treated like mushrooms just makes us feel like we don't matter.
    Hi Nathen,

We never went back to the drawing board. The situation hasn't changed, but it is taking longer than we anticipated, for various reasons. It is still coming, and we hope that we can give you a positive update soon.
  • Hello to the Fanatec Team.  can you give us some kind of update on the new software? my guess at this point based off of what has been said about the software is that what you were going to put out at first was not what what people were thinking it was going to be and now you have gone back to the drawing board. I think I speak for most of us consumers when I say I understand that **** happens but please at least tell us what is going on. Being treated like mushrooms just makes us feel like we don't matter.
    Hi Nathen,

We never went back to the drawing board. The situation hasn't changed, but it is taking longer than we anticipated, for various reasons. It is still coming, and we hope that we can give you a positive update soon.
    Is the Podium firmware on the same release schedule as the software? There are some bugs in the firmware from 335 that are a nuisance (hard freezes when using the Formula wheel that require a power cut to restore use), and I'm avoiding 340 beta since there are some behaviors (like the power button) that are still under active experimentation. Thanks!
    Hello to the Fanatec Team.  can you give us some kind of update on the new software? my guess at this point based off of what has been said about the software is that what you were going to put out at first was not what what people were thinking it was going to be and now you have gone back to the drawing board. I think I speak for most of us consumers when I say I understand that **** happens but please at least tell us what is going on. Being treated like mushrooms just makes us feel like we don't matter.
    Hi Nathen,

Is the Podium firmware on the same release schedule as the software? There are some bugs in the firmware from 335 that are a nuisance (hard freezes when using the Formula wheel that require a power cut to restore use), and I'm avoiding 340 beta since there are some behaviors (like the power button) that are still under active experimentation. Thanks!
    Firmware development happens in parallel, but they are not reliant on each other and are not on the same release schedule.
  • Are you not making any progress with the firmware? How else explains that there was only a firmware update?
    Are you not making any progress with the firmware? How else explains that there was only a firmware update?
    I'm not sure what you mean. Our firmware/driver development is continuous.
  • since the podium release, there was only one update! Is there no improvement?
    since the podium release, there was only one update! Is there no improvement?
    By my count there have been three publicly available driver updates with improved firmwares on the beta forum since the original Podium wheel base availability (end of April), as well as a few more available to closed beta testing.
  • edited July 2019
    since the podium release, there was only one update! Is there no improvement?
    As Dom said, there are way more than just one new firmware... First units were delivered with Firmware 651. Then there were updates to Firmware 653, 656 and 658 which are 3 new firmwares available to the public since release. There was even a motor firmware update from v29 to v30 available since release. So lot of improvements.. And as Dom also said, development of the firmware is continuous and never stops ;)
  • Noel GrunderNoel Grunder Member
    edited July 2019
    unfortunately, these firmwares never appear in the official download feed. They are always in beta only and will never be final. There are always only new beta versions but never finished/stable download versions.
  • You can install the beta versions without any risk. They work even better than the "stable" 335. If you don't, then you miss some improvements and fixes etc. Just because something is in beta state doesn't mean it's no improvement over the latest stable release. Just install driver 340 and enjoy your DD and keep an eye on the beta forum to not miss any new beta driver release. Stable releases mostly only will be available when a new product launches, in the meantime beta drivers are the way to go.
  • You can install the beta versions without any risk. They work even better than the "stable" 335. If you don't, then you miss some improvements and fixes etc. Just because something is in beta state doesn't mean it's no improvement over the latest stable release. Just install driver 340 and enjoy your DD and keep an eye on the beta forum to not miss any new beta driver release. Stable releases mostly only will be available when a new product launches, in the meantime beta drivers are the way to go.
    The problem with that is that the betas are still somewhat experimental - a good example would be the current power button handling. It's fine to say "try this out", but definitely not production-ready.
  • That example is actually a bit wrong. The current power button behavior introduced with the latest driver and firmware was never intended to act like its doing now and since day1 it was said it will be improved in a next update. So nothing "experimental" here, just a slight imperfection of a new feature.
  • Maybe some confusion could be averted if you remove the "Beta Drivers and Firmware" under "Fanatec Software" at the very top of all the forums listed to the right.  It is inactive or misleading.  Or add as a subtopic the "Public Beta Testing" with the subtopic "Beta Drivers" contents.  
  • That example is actually a bit wrong. The current power button behavior introduced with the latest driver and firmware was never intended to act like its doing now and since day1 it was said it will be improved in a next update. So nothing "experimental" here, just a slight imperfection of a new feature.
    Doesn't really change my point, though: that with beta firmware, you're basically trading whatever's fixed from the old version for whatever's broken in the new. The right way to do this is to limit work in progress, use automated testing to validate changes against the desired behavior, and release often (ideally, every sprint) so that changes that don't work out can be quickly reverted (if you go back to the prior version, you only lose one sprint's worth of fixes) or lived with (since you're never more than one sprint away from the next release)
  • I agree with Kevin. If the firmware has so many improvements why is it not officially offered under downloads? The 0815 user certainly does not look in a subforum for a firmware update.
    Thanks for your feedback everyone.

@Bill The notification thread was supposed to be kept up to date but it was not handled correctly, hopefully it will from now on. I've also made an adjustment to the positioning of the main beta subcategory so it is easier to find.

@Kevin @Noel The team has regular discussions for improving our firmware roll-out precedures, but in the near term it will continue to function as it is today.
  • Yes, size is main problem for me with Formula wheel either. Also I personally like more when wheel is "bent" up like GT3 instead of down like on Formula.  :D
    I am in the same boat :D To be honest I would love to see a V2 of the McLaren wheel, with alcantara grips
    Alcantara grips, better paddle shifters, more rotary buttons :) Podium Spec