Fanatec Beta Driver V352/356 [DD Performance Update] for Podium Bases ONLY (all steering wheels)

Comments

• Would it be possible to back port any outstanding bug fixes to the v346 (or even v336) branch and stabilize that for release, if it's going to be a while?

Alternately, you could wrap anything that's not finished in feature flags (like LaunchDarkly), so that we could have a stable driver while development continues on the performance features.

• Tried v356 drivers but my DD1 still gets bricked, same as set v352.

Started from driver set v345, WB FW v662, motor FW v30.

Updating to driver v356, WB FW v670 while remaining on motor FW v30 seemed ok at first, but in game the wheel was unusable. It just constantly turned in random directions. Then I updated the motor to v38. After that, I would brick within a few seconds of turning the wheelbase on.

Fanalab was not used, had Porsche 918 wheel on and off

• edited January 2020

Did you uninstall the old driver from your PC first --> Restart the PC -->Install the New Dr-356 to PC --> Restart PC then try to flash Wheel base and Motor Fw???

If You install the Driver to PC and wheel is Not Recognized after PC Restart --> Select Driver again Select Install then when prompted select Repair ---> Restart PC --> Wheel should be Recognized and all should be well. <--- This is what works for Me 100% of the time --> Windows 10/64bit, DD2

If you followed these exact steps already then I suggest Running a Disk Clean up on your main Hard Drive then a Defrag <-- Yes I know some Frown upon Defragging your HD and say its Not Needed but in cases like this it cant hurt to try every thing you can try on your end before escalating the matter to the Next level.

• Jean MarthJean Marth Member
    edited January 2020

My Wheelbase DD2 sometimes stops completely working. It happened 4 times, 2 times while pressing the tuning button (wanted to change the FFB strength) and 2 times closing the game. Game used at this time was Dirt Rally 2.

Each time the wheelbase got stuck, it does not react to any button press and it was also not possible to switch the wheelbase off with the small on/off button on the backside. So I had to disconnect the power. The display shows the default display and the wheel shows gear and the LEDs for revs are on as they where at the moment.

Since a few days I operate my DD2 without the Kill-Switch / defect, send to Fanatec so I could check if that would help to shut the base off.

Wheel Base Model (product ID): DD2 / I used the base with the default display (Fanatec logo).

Steering Wheel Model (product ID): Porsche wheel with PBME

Driver Version: 356

Base FW Version: 670

Base Motor FW: 38

SW FW: 9

PHUB FW: 2

FanaLab Version: not installed

• Mike MarMike Mar Member
    edited January 2020

I tried your suggestions of uninstalling first, running error checking and defragmenting, but still doesn't work.

I would like to correct my earlier statement though. After I install driver v356, but before I flash the wheelbase, the wheel works in game but vibrates uncontrollably like it does during FFB testing, rendering it unplayable. Then when I flash the wheelbase to v670, steering stops working altogether but strangely the shifters work. Next, when I update the motor, it bricks.

Also, when I revert back to driver v345, WB v662, but remain on motor FW v38, the steering doesn't work but shifters work, as above. When I then revert to motor v30, everything works again.

• What do you mean when you update motor FW it bricks??? Do you mean motor FW fails to install???. If so very strange your motor will install 30 but not 38... The update process is identical No matter the Dr/Fw.... Try plugging your wheel in a different USB port to update<-- Make sure the USB port is 2.0 and Not a 3.0 port.

• I made some videos for the Fanatec support guys and want to share them with you as well. The first one show the lack of FFB in GT Sport, with the base FFB set at 35 and then 70, in-game Max torque is 5 and in-game sensitivity is 5: https://youtu.be/vQGmOxM7YgQ.

The next one show how the wheel can spin very fast automatically: https://youtu.be/bEn51Na1mrA

The third show the wheel disconnects from the base and wheel spins very fast: https://youtu.be/NsnAzHZcmGE

The fourth show how the base fan goes 100% even after reflashing the motor firmware and doing a motor sensor recalibration: https://youtu.be/qDBbOX39VFU

GT Sport was just updated to v1.55. Driver version is v356, base firmware is v670, motor firmware is v38 and wheel firmware is v28.

• You definitely should stay in contact with the support. This looks like your base is badly damaged and needs to be exchanged.

• When I say it bricks, I mean when I turn on the DD1's power, it will suddenly freeze up within a few seconds so that it doesn't respond to anything. Not even the power button will turn it off. I have to pull the plug. Luckily, I can boot directly into wheel updater mode by holding down the power button for 8 seconds or so, in order to revert back to v30 from v38.

• is very funny and sad. must be very embarrassing for jackermayer

• Dear Marcel, all,

I'd need your kind advice on an issue I have with my DD2 (Formula V2, Porsche 918 rims). When turning the powered off DD2 I feel some sort of notchiness / cogging which I think is normal due to the motor. When powered on, no matter if in game or not, the notchiness used to disappear, which I understand is the anti-cogging at work.

Recently I updated the driver from 335 to beta 352 incl. update of firmware and motor firmare and incl. recalibration of the motor. For a few days everything continued to work fine. After a big FFB spike the DD2 started to feel notchy even when powered on. When setting NPR, NFR to 0, the notchiness feels exactly the same as when powered off, such as if the anti-cogging stopped working. Reinstallation of driver beta 352, reflashing of both firmwares and recalibration of the motor didn't help.

Fanatec Support kindly issued a RMA, however an inspection of the HW didn't bring any defects to light. Any idea what could have caused the problem and how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance!

• leon liuleon liu Member
    edited January 2020

Many problems are solved by changing USB port.For example, the driver cannot detect the device, device disconnect when flash firmware.

It's a very frequent problem.Hope for a better solution.

• edited January 2020

I do not have any problems with the DD1 and the new drivers and the Porsche Podium Endurance .

What issue I did have was related to windows eg USB 3 drivers on my ASUS Mobo and also issues like Win 10 was not fully up to date .

Man , those USB 3 drivers are absolutely lousy on Windows ...the USB port vendors never really got it right and could not even agree on a standard to apply.

I use a USB 2 port for my DD1 and it works like a dream.

Big thanks to the guys at Fanatec for helping out those with problems !!!

😀😀😀

• edited January 2020

Hello,

I updated the base with the new firmware and as usual fans at 4000 rpm that stabilize at 660 rpm after the engine update. With the 356 (ex 352) the base makes the noise (dung) as already reported by others, but what worries me most is during the rotation of the steering wheel you hear a noise as if there were stones inside the base , a certain graininess. The problem of freezing of the engine update menu has also remained, in fact I have to use a laptop to update. I followed all the steps as required by the assistance, doing the sensor calibration after updating the motor firmware. I have performed all clean installations as required. For the moment I have decided to return to the version with less problems the 346 waiting for a solution. Thanks to everyone in advance for the time you want to dedicate to me.

Wheel Base Model: Podium Racing Wheel F1 - PS4

Driver Version: 356

Base FW Version: 670

Base Motor FW: 38

Fanalab: 1.23

• Hi Maurice

I contacted support again and was told to downgrade to driver v347. Wasn't v347 and the firmware versions it comes with not recommended for DD wheelbases? I told him I could try it out, but I am still feeling good about trying that versions with all the bad stuff being written.

I even made it clear that I am sure v347 doesn't support the P_BME, which I need my drivers and firmwares to support as I bought the Porsche Podium wheel. Even if I didn't buy the Podium Porsche wheel, I am not sure v347 would solve my issues with a base that doesn't have any force feedback, constantly has the base fan go 100% and other weird issues like the wheel spinning at high speed in various situations and other problems.

So if any can point me in the right direction of doing a proper downgrade of the firmware it is most welcome. When having the lower driver version installed, should I then proceed with downgrading the base fw or the motor fw first?

Thanks!

• Which drivers are Now RECOMENDED and best for CSL ELITE PS4??? TNX

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

Was it when having a specific screen visible on the DDs display? The graphs seem to cause some FFB problems which should get fixed in the next update. Otherwise you can revert to an older firmware and driver to see if it also happens there, this helps to find out if it's a firmware or hardware issue.

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator
    edited January 2020

Try it again on the default DD screen which shows the Fanatec Logo instead of the FFB graph.

Is this done in-game or outside of a game? In-game a low Interpolation setting can cause this.

You can check if the motor sensor calibration was saved with the info screen you can access through this button combination: TuningMenuButton + D-Pad Down.

The info ACV: v3 will tell you the cogging calibration is active, ACV: - says the sensor calibration has to be done.

• Lost some hair whilst updating my v3s, r300 rim with Xbox hub and DD1 all at the same time. Didn’t realise the motor had to be done so when fan was at 100% I went back to driver 335 then read this thread.......

redone it all this morning, what can I say other than OMFG and thank you for the update Fanatec. 100x times better for me, my times are dropping lap after lap.

😘

• edited February 2020

After updating the driver, my DD2 isn't detected anymore in Fanalab. In the driver I see 2 entries, but clicking on 'Properties' does nothing. Please help me quick, monday I leave to Lapland for ice driving and I need to practice. Thanks!

I removed the driver, installed it again several times, rebooted, cleaned up the hard drive, nothing helps.

Serge

• Tomaz HocevarTomaz Hocevar Member
    edited February 2020

First of all, you can drive perfectly fine without fanalab. Most people don't even use it. So don't say you can't practice. Second, did you read the known issues of the driver: "FanaLab 1.12 is not compatible, you need to download 1.23" ? Did you do that after updating everything to 356? And if this doesn't help, you can still revert back to previous drivers that worked for you so you can practice this two days if you must.

• Install the Driver 356 again--> Restart your PC --> Power wheel on check to see if its detected in Properties --> If wheel is Not detected Do Not Uninstall Driver --> Click on Driver to install it when prompted select Repair --->when repair is finished Restart PC Power wheel base on and Report back.

• It's not only a Fanalab issue, the driver too doesn't see the DD2 . In Assetto Corsa, the steering wheel is jumping all over the place. And yes, I installed version 1.23 AND 356. But you are right, I just revert back.

Thanks,

Serge

• I did what you suggest… In the driver, the wheel is detected (not in Fanalab) but I can't get the properties of it.

Serge

• edited February 2020

You saying your base is detected in Properties but Not in Fanalab??? Strange Check to see if your in Podium mode or v2.5 mode...

• Hi Stephen

Can do some detailed explaining on how exactly you redid it? I'm having issues with all drivers, no force feedback, 100% base fan even after motor sensor calibration, connection between base and wheel is not working so I cannot use the buttons on the wheel.

• Hi there!

Wheel Base Model: CSW 2.5

Steering Wheel Model (product ID): Porsche GT3 Steering Wheel

Driver Version: 352

Base FW Version: 669

Wheel FW Version: 22

FanaLab Version: V1.23

Since updating from 347 the fans are not turning on during races anymore. I notice the base gets very hot, however the fans are turned off. Any fixes for this? Otherwise the 352 drivers have been working fine for me.

• Driver 352+ are not officially for CSW v2.5. Please stay at driver 347 until a new CSW ready driver was released.

• In the driver I can click on one of the 2 occurences of the base, but can't get its properties. I reverted back to the old driver and Fanalab 1.12, but the problem persists.

This discussion has been closed.