Real race car steering wheel rims on Xbox One!

Comments

• Natalie BNatalie B Member, Moderator, Betatester
    edited April 2015
    No (unfortunately) :(
    I was referring to PCars tiding me over until Fanatec announce the next batch of rims/wheels later this year, I believe this will be the "CSL" line (wheels).

I was hoping (and still am) for a pre built rim much like the BMW/Porshe/F1 with XBO compatibility like many others were.

In the meantime the HUB is going to go through a series of very strenuous tests and scenarios with me that I have already began documenting *Edit: (for clarity, I'm documenting the tests/scenarios that I wish to perform on the hub when it arrives, however it's not arrived yet). I'm also curious to find out exactly how much the lack of "hot swap" will affect me (if at all).

As I am not its target audience, it's likely that I'm going to (perhaps) test it under different conditions/scenarios to others. Which is a great way to find bugs, assure quality and refine a product :)
    Natalie and Josha, driving with a pad is, to me, more difficult than a wheel....but I'm driving WITH clutch since FM3...it's really easy to accomplish this. Set the buttons so that the 'A' button is the clutch. And 'X' down shift and 'B' shift up.
    Your thumb is all ways near button A, so when you shift push A and B or A and X...
    Also makes up A LITTLE time!

Great tip :)
    I'll give this a try tonight :)
  • How to video...

Forza 5 Tips & Tricks - How to Use Manual Shift With Clutch:
  • Question to those wanting a Formula XboxOne rim.

Do you want a formula rim (like current models) or a true F1 rim? (Buttons dials etc). I'm just curious. I've never used a true F1 rim as I've only ever used Fanatec. So what say you, Formula or F1?
  • F1, cause Formula is too small if you've got big hands like me.
    edited April 2015
    @Chris

For me it depends completely on compatibility. If it's an XBO/PS4/PC compatible rim (like the hub) I'd love to see an actual "replica" F1 rim built to the same high standards quality/price as the Porshe Rim.

But if the rim is locked to XBO only (and therefore sold at a lower cost) I'd very happily welcome the current F1 Fanatec rim (with XBO branded buttons) as I LOVE that wheel. That rim is just gorgeous, feels so precise, buttons are easy to reach and I just love the pink trim :)

If Thomas can get hold of a licence for an F1 rim I'd certainly buy a replica and would happily pay up to the same value as the Porsche rim for it.

I'm sure Marussia would give us a licence for next to nothing ;)

@Chris
    Did you set a time yet :p
  • Jason ShafferJason Shaffer Member
    edited April 2015
    For anyone who fancies hot lapping:

BMW #92 M3 GT2 (Completely Stock - No upgrades - No Tuning - No Tyre Changes etc)
    Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

XBOX ONE PAD/Controller

Suggested Line -OFF
    ABS -OFF
    Steering -SIMULATION
    TCS -OFF
    Manual Shifting -YES
    Damage -COSMETIC

The best I was able to manage under those circumstances with only 7 laps on the track (as I had to get to work) was 2:29 (Clean)

Now, I'm curious to see how much I can improve over the coming days by using the pad (although I'm not a fan of the pad as I find it a tad disjointed) and if i can then improve further (and by how much) using a rim.

Anyone up for posting their time to assist me? :)
    I will try it and let you know. 

Thanks Joshua :)

I'm sure I can shave a little more off the top with a few more laps on the pad ;)
    I'm going to use this as a baseline to see just how much more accurate a wheel can be vs the pad, so thanks for that.

Anyone else going to get a lap in, so we can see if using a wheel can get me closer to your times, than using the pad :)

@Chris what about you :p

Natalie, I believe what you will find is that using a wheel will not make you faster, but it will make you more consistent. The gamepad uses a steering buffer to help the car steer.

With a gamepad I can usually get a top 1% leaderboard time on any track within 5-20 laps depending on track in FM5. With a wheel you can run clean lap after clean lap so your overall race time should improve, but your hotlap time doesn't really benefit any advantage.

EDIT: I purchased the BMW#92 for 650,000cr and ran it stock no assists on SPA for 4 laps my best lap was 2:26.130. All 4 laps were clean that car practically drives itself!

• For anyone who fancies hot lapping:

BMW #92 M3 GT2 (Completely Stock - No upgrades - No Tuning - No Tyre Changes etc)

XBOX ONE PAD/Controller

Suggested Line -OFF
    ABS -OFF
    Steering -SIMULATION
    TCS -OFF
    Manual Shifting -YES
    Damage -COSMETIC

The best I was able to manage under those circumstances with only 7 laps on the track (as I had to get to work) was 2:29 (Clean)

Now, I'm curious to see how much I can improve over the coming days by using the pad (although I'm not a fan of the pad as I find it a tad disjointed) and if i can then improve further (and by how much) using a rim.

I'm sure I can shave a little more off the top with a few more laps on the pad ;)
    I'm going to use this as a baseline to see just how much more accurate a wheel can be vs the pad, so thanks for that.

Anyone else going to get a lap in, so we can see if using a wheel can get me closer to your times, than using the pad :)

Natalie, I believe what you will find is that using a wheel will not make you faster, but it will make you more consistent. The gamepad uses a steering buffer to help the car steer.

With a gamepad I can usually get a top 1% leaderboard time on any track within 5-20 laps depending on track in FM5. With a wheel you can run clean lap after clean lap so your overall race time should improve, but your hotlap time doesn't really benefit any advantage.

EDIT: I purchased the BMW#92 for 650,000cr and ran it stock no assists on SPA for 4 laps my best lap was 2:26.130. All 4 laps were clean that car practically drives itself!

it depends on how good you are with a controller, I would say people who don't play video games can sit down and use a wheel and be a lot faster than using a controller. I can get top 5000 times easy with a controller but to be top 500 I need a wheel, the last few seconds off a lap need the extra precision. 
  • This is the first full page of comments that were actually a discussion and on topic that I have read here in months. People offering tips. People showing gratitude and offering to help. Moving forward. Thanks, everyone. Keep it up.  :-c
    Natalie, do you want times from the CSR Elite with FM4 on 360 for comparison, or only from the new bases. I have the new V2 base, no hub/rim yet but on order for May, Xbone, and FM5. I can't help you with the gamepad times. I don't/can't use it for game play. I use the CSR Elite on iRacing, too. If you want times from there. Let me know. Cheers!
  • No (unfortunately) :(
    I was referring to PCars tiding me over until Fanatec announce the next batch of rims/wheels later this year, I believe this will be the "CSL" line (wheels).

I was hoping (and still am) for a pre built rim much like the BMW/Porshe/F1 with XBO compatibility like many others were.

In the meantime the HUB is going to go through a series of very strenuous tests and scenarios with me that I have already began documenting *Edit: (for clarity, I'm documenting the tests/scenarios that I wish to perform on the hub when it arrives, however it's not arrived yet). I'm also curious to find out exactly how much the lack of "hot swap" will affect me (if at all).

As I am not its target audience, it's likely that I'm going to (perhaps) test it under different conditions/scenarios to others. Which is a great way to find bugs, assure quality and refine a product :)

I am almost contemplating buying a hub and dismantling it and building a mod out of it as just for kicks but with a regular hub not the Xbox one.

Anyway it's kind of a shame you didn't get in on the WMD experience. Maybe pCARS 2 hey?

• WMD What is that???
  • WMD What is that???

Your kidding right?

http://www.wmdportal.com/

The home of pCARS

• ok ok I didnt Know i just have the PCars site in my Favorites tool bar... LOL
  • @Chris

For me it depends completely on compatibility. If it's an XBO/PS4/PC compatible rim (like the hub) I'd love to see an actual "replica" F1 rim built to the same high standards quality/price as the Porshe Rim.

But if the rim is locked to XBO only (and therefore sold at a lower cost) I'd very happily welcome the current F1 Fanatec rim (with XBO branded buttons) as I LOVE that wheel. That rim is just gorgeous, feels so precise, buttons are easy to reach and I just love the pink trim :)

If Thomas can get hold of a licence for an F1 rim I'd certainly buy a replica and would happily pay up to the same value as the Porsche rim for it.

@Chris
    Have you seen Marussia steering wheel? That thing sucks! I rather have an updated F1 steering wheel with nice crisp LCD display- update like this is worth every penny to spend.

JC
  • @natalie
    That car without TCS requires tons of throttle control, I will be better with a wheel for sure. I don't think I had anywhere near a perfect lap, would get squirrelly at some point every lap.
     2:31.845 was my best and it wasn't clean. A wheel will help me a lot, I probably can shave at least 2 or 3 seconds off, maybe more, but I am not as fast as Jason. 

• Again Thomas any help would be appreciated thanks.
    For anyone who fancies hot lapping:

XBOX ONE PAD/Controller

Suggested Line -OFF
    ABS -OFF
    Steering -SIMULATION
    TCS -OFF
    Manual Shifting -YES
    Damage -COSMETIC

Hi,

2:26 that's fast, so I'm at least 3 seconds off the pace on a pad.
    I think everything you said is right for those who are good with a pad. I'm not so good with a pad though :)

This "just for fun" comparison can be a good indicator of how much these tools can help improve the gaming experience in both immersion and competitiveness. I think I'll be much faster on wheel and pedals.

Also it gives us something to do while we wait for the HUBs to arrive.

Like Josha, I found my times on PS3 with a pad were drastically slower than with the wheel (almost 4/6 seconds slower on a pad) because I found myself tapping the analog stick left and right and wasn't quite able to get the car to turn in smoothly and hold that precise line, which ended up causing fish tailing as soon as I pressed the gas.

When I used my V2 and F1 rim my lap times increased dramatically as I was now able to feel the slip and hold the line.
    So for those who hate (or just don't do well or feel comfortable on a pad) it's possible they could see a drastic increase in speed and immersion in Forza 5 too, which would be great :)
    No (unfortunately) :(

I am almost contemplating buying a hub and dismantling it and building a mod out of it as just for kicks but with a regular hub not the Xbox one.

Anyway it's kind of a shame you didn't get in on the WMD experience. Maybe pCARS 2 hey?

I'd loved to have been involved in PCars :( unfortunately I found out about the game long after they closed the doors. If they ever do another WMD experience I think myself (and everyone else in here) will be first in line, are you a member?
    @Chris

@Chris
    Have you seen Marussia steering wheel? That thing sucks! I rather have an updated F1 steering wheel with nice crisp LCD display- update like this is worth every penny to spend.

JC

Yea I was joking again :)
    I really should stop as clearly I'm not funny :D I was poking a little fun at their situation. If Fanatec did do an F1 rim I'd like to see McLaren/Mercedes/Ferrari or maybe even some classics :)
    edited April 2015
    @natalie
    That car without TCS requires tons of throttle control, I will be better with a wheel for sure. I don't think I had anywhere near a perfect lap, would get squirrelly at some point every lap.
     2:31.845 was my best and it wasn't clean. A wheel will help me a lot, I probably can shave at least 2 or 3 seconds off, maybe more, but I am not as fast as Jason. 

I initially got a 2:31 xxx and then began coasting round the corners in 3rd and gained 2 seconds and got a 2:29 xxx?

You could try going round every corner (except turn 1) in 3rd or higher and see if that helps. I found 2nd just causes the back end to go for a walk every time I touch the gas. So I kept it in a higher gear which stopped the backend floating out and gave me a little extra stability in each corner? Maybe it was luck, but worth a try :)

So keep this time, keep trying to improve on it, then when the hub arrives let's see how much you can smash it :D

I'll post my improvement too, I think a couple of seconds is possible in my case too.
    I haven't heard back from @Thomas yet though :(
    edited April 2015
    This is the first full page of comments that were actually a discussion and on topic that I have read here in months. People offering tips. People showing gratitude and offering to help. Moving forward. Thanks, everyone. Keep it up.  :-c
    Natalie, do you want times from the CSR Elite with FM4 on 360 for comparison, or only from the new bases. I have the new V2 base, no hub/rim yet but on order for May, Xbone, and FM5. I can't help you with the gamepad times. I don't/can't use it for game play. I use the CSR Elite on iRacing, too. If you want times from there. Let me know. Cheers!

Hey :D
    If you can manage a Pad time in Forza 5 that would be great. The plan is to see how much we improve when our hubs arrive. So even if you hate the pad (like me) give it your best and then in May comeback and show us how much the hub assisted in improving your time, immersion and overall experience :)

That's the plan :)

So far we have
    Jason - 2.26 (pad)
    Natalie - 2.29 (pad)
    Josha - 2.31 (pad)

Looking forward to Chris/Grimey/Antoine You and a few other hub pre order owners posting times too :)
  • edited April 2015
    Hi Thomas

Ein paar kurze Fragen zum XO Hub
    1. Die Verbindung zur XO ist dann wireless oder per USB?
    2. Wann gibts eine Anleitung im Shop?
    3. Werden auch mit der XO Telemetriedaten über das Display angezeigt?

Danke
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    > Luke McLane > Hey Thomas, Just a heads up: on the Xbox One Drift Wheel, the compatibility is wrong. It shows "PC no, Xbox 360 yes, Xbox One no, PS3 yes, PS4 yes".

Thanks Luke!
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Hello Fanatec, does the XBox One wheel work wireless? Do I need a pc to update the firmware, or does a Mac work or better via USB stick.? At the website is no discription

I ordered the wheel with the GT wheel and got an shipping date of 28th of May which is fine for me since Project CARS will have an similar release date.

Wheel base V2 is waiting since day one unused :( Eigth weeks additional waiting should be possible :)

It does not work wireless. It uses the USB of the base.

You definitely need a PC to update the firmware or boot your Mac in PC mode
  • @Chris

@Chris

Natalie

Full compatibility like the X1 hub. Going forward I think all wheels/rims should have this full compatibility. Some non X1 users might not agree as it appears that will add an additional $50 to the price. But it will help keep the resale value up should you want a different rim later on.
    Edit
    @Chris

@Chris

Natalie

Full compatibility like the X1 hub. Going forward I think all wheels/rims should have this full compatibility. Some non X1 users might not agree as it appears that will add an additional $50 to the price. But it will help keep the resale value up should you want a different rim later on.

In that case I would love to see an replica rim. Fully modelled and scaled like the BMW/Proshe rims :)
  • Armin HabermannArmin Habermann Member, Administrator
    I am having an issue with the wheel stand that I have and attempted to reach out to your online customer service department for help. Again this is another instance of where i was told to spend more money and very little help was given. Here is the problem and the conversation which i am posting to you in hopes that you will respond and offer a feasible solution
    Hi Julian,

may I ask what might be a feasible solution if you are requesting a part for a 5-6 year old product which is just not available? I think it might be understandable that not every product can be compatible to every new product which might be released within the next 5-10 years. We did not even think or know about the CSS at that time.

Thank you!
    edited April 2015
    @Thomas
    I feel like Rachel's boss in the episode where Chandler says "we should do this again some time, I'll call you"

But he never does ;)

/jk :p
  • A long time Fanatec fan and I was excited to hear the news (and late to the party it seems!), but unfortunately this confusing rim solution is right out of my price range, heck it's getting close to what I paid for my first real car. I don't care if it's Microsoft's fault or Fanatecs, but last year there was a promise made that if a dongle could be created to allow older rims to work with the Xbone it would happen. Now I see that this will never happen. At least Fanatec have negotiated support for older Fanatec wheels for Project cars on PS4. So a PS4 purchase for me will most likely be, and considering I've owned multiple xboxes over both generations it's going to be a big change. I hope in the future Fanatec can create some more affordable wheels again as I would like to replace my aging GT2.
  • Hello Fanatec, does the XBox One wheel work wireless? Do I need a pc to update the firmware, or does a Mac work or better via USB stick.? At the website is no discription

I ordered the wheel with the GT wheel and got an shipping date of 28th of May which is fine for me since Project CARS will have an similar release date.

Wheel base V2 is waiting since day one unused :( Eigth weeks additional waiting should be possible :)

That is very sad Thomas, since the Xbox One has an improved low latency wireless functionality. Maybe with the next wheel. What is the problem there? (time, technical skills?)
    Hello Fanatec, does the XBox One wheel work wireless? Do I need a pc to update the firmware, or does a Mac work or better via USB stick.? At the website is no discription

That is very sad Thomas, since the Xbox One has an improved low latency wireless functionality. Maybe with the next wheel. What is the problem there? (time, technical skills?)

I think I prefer the wired solution as there should be much less chance of a dropped connection, more resolution in pedal/wheel (likely) and less latency. But I can definitely see why a wireless solution would be highly desirable.
  • Hey Thomas 1 question I have about this hub is does it have support for mics so we can talk on xbox one??