Real race car steering wheel rims on Xbox One!

Comments

• Andrew ClarkAndrew Clark Member
    edited April 2015
    I'd loved to have been involved in PCars :( unfortunately I found out about the game long after they closed the doors. If they ever do another WMD experience I think myself (and everyone else in here) will be first in line, are you a member?

My Reply: The reason why my reply is in the original message box is I tried to shorten the original message down to what was relevant with your question and would not allow me to type in to the white reply area so I'm working in the blue.

I have been a WMD member since day one in Oct. 2011 and has been a great 3.5 years. Ian Bell the head of SMS studio has said he would like to continue the WMD concept in the future.

The base software for this forum is screwy. I tried to shorten the message I was replying too and ended up with the two posts above over something as simple as replying to question from Natalie

I'd loved to have been involved in PCars :( unfortunately I found out about the game long after they closed the doors. If they ever do another WMD experience I think myself (and everyone else in here) will be first in line, are you a member?

and my answer

• I'd loved to have been involved in PCars :( unfortunately I found out about the game long after they closed the doors. If they ever do another WMD experience I think

edited April 2015

The base software for this forum is screwy. I tried to shorten the message I was replying too and ended up with the two posts above over something as simple as replying to question from Natalie

and my answer

edited April 2015

I have been a WMD member since day one in Oct. 2011 and has been a great 3.5 years. Ian Bell the head of SMS studio has said he would like to continue the WMD concept in the future.

Sorry the software used to build this forum is crap

For the forum section this is better

vbulletin

• Natalie BNatalie B Member, Moderator, Betatester
    edited April 2015

I'm jealous :)
    Yea the forum can be a bit iffy at times, I had a double post issue earlier today?
    If you hear that they are going to do it again (before the general public do) feel free to let me know ;)

Did you invest fully as I remember reading that investors get to have their names as AI in game that would be a nice little bit of memorabilia :)

What do you think of the game and how it's progressed over the years or are you unable to discuss it :)

@Kieren
    i will add this to my list of things to check when the hub arrives. I have 2 headsets for my one (3 including the default wired one) so I'll test it out and see just what is/is not compatible with the hub and to what degree and reliability.

I'll even test and let you know if it works as a bit of a hack job or partially works. I'm sure Thomas already knows the answers but I'll add it to my list anyway just in case that question goes unanswered :)
  • Natalie Bissell im gonna Hook up my TX when i Get time to do so and Run a Few Laps and See what i get... I Havent Raced with a Controler since FM2!!! 2010 is when i got my First Fanatec Wheel...and i Havent touched a Game Pad for Racing Since.

Edit: im looking at the Boards and i See that i Have a 2:29.595 in that car its a Dirty Lap i probably Ran it During a Career Mode Race using the TX... Im Sure Should i Hook up the TX Hot Lap i can Get a Much Better Time on a Clean Rum... This time was set June 2104... No Assist, Manual Shifting No using Clutch.
    edited April 2015

Yea the forum can be a bit iffy at times, I had a double post issue earlier today?
    If you hear that they are going to do it again (before the general public do) feel free to let me know ;)

Did you invest fully as I remember reading that investors get to have their names as AI in game that would be a nice little bit of memorabilia :)

What do you think of the game and how it's progressed over the years or are you unable to discuss it :)

@Kieren
    i will add this to my list of things to check when the hub arrives. I have 2 headsets for my one (3 including the default wired one) so I'll test it out and see just what is/is not compatible with the HUB and to what degree and reliability.

Yes  the #40 Jewel Paint Stockcar  and the Jewel Paint trackside ad banner on Watkins Glen. As for discussing the project we are compelled to discuss non sensitive elements of the game as NDA's for not completed licensing should be avoided .

However since SMS posted it's list of supported Fanatec Wheels that's an open door to discuss this side of it. IMO the support for the different input devices available is wonderful with not many controllers left out.  As for my opinion I think the FFB is wonderful and also customizable to ones tastes. Many options are available to Taylor make the game for you with the exception of modding support at this time.

A wide range of Cars and Tracks with some very special additions to be added via DLC in the future(this is where I have to be tight lipped) but really what's coming has very much the wow factor as regards to what content will be added.

The driving is suitable for the different levels of sim racer and quite immersive

I hope you and all others who purchase this title to have years of enjoyment with it as it is the modern day GTR2 for me.

edited April 2015
    @Grimey
    You! - You! - You're from the future! ;)

So far we have
    James - 2.26 (pad clean)
    Natalie - 2.29 (pad clean)
    Grimey - 2.29 (dirty)
    Josha - 2.31 (pad clean)

Do you think you could get a pad time and a TX time grimey, and I'll follow your ghost :)
    edited April 2015

@Kieren
    i will add this to my list of things to check when the hub arrives. I have 2 headsets for my one (3 including the default wired one) so I'll test it out and see just what is/is not compatible with the HUB and to what degree and reliability.

Yes  the #40 Jewel Paint Stockcar  and the Jewel Paint trackside ad banner on Watkins Glen. As for discussing the project we are compelled to discuss non sensitive elements of the game as NDA's for not completed licensing should be avoided .

However since SMS posted it's list of supported Fanatec Wheels that's an open door to discuss this side of it. IMO the support for the different input devices available is wonderful with not many controllers left out.  As for my opinion I think the FFB is wonderful and also customizable to ones tastes. Many options are available to Taylor make the game for you with the exception of modding support at this time.

A wide range of Cars and Tracks with some very special additions to be added via DLC in the future(this is where I have to be tight lipped) but really what's coming has very much the wow factor as regards to what content will be added.

The driving is suitable for the different levels of sim racer and quite immersive

I hope you and all others who purchase this title to have years of enjoyment with it as it is the modern day GTR2 for me.

Yea, I think they have a great foundation to build upon as you say, they could also have a lot of fun with the DLC too.
    They could even look at using the game engine to create a game similar to horizon to cover that corner of the market. Rally, off road, open world all using the CARS engine wouldn't be a bad thing if done well.

Do you have a favourite car in the game?
    Do you mean that the #40 car is named after you? If so that's brill :D if I see it, I'll be sure to smash it off of the track in a fit of jealous rage!
    /jk that's me joking again ;)

You should start a best CSWV2 wheel config/settings and share them or do you think the defaults are setup very well already?

Have you seen the console versions or is that all hush hush at the moment too?
    I have preordered the PS4 version but I will also order the XBO version now and do a full comparison as this will be with the same wheel, same base, same pedals same game so could provide interesting results :)
  • Natalie Bissell I Can Guarentee that for Me im Much Much Faster with a Wheel...As Long as the Wheel Physics are Good When using a Wheel i Never Tune and i Can get in the Top 1 to 5% easily.
    Im Tweeking My Set up Moving My Pedals and Stuff... the V2 Sits in the Same Position as My CSR Elite but the Rim is Bigger in Diamiter and it Sticks out 1/2 in more than the Elite Rim... Seems like Nothing but for Long Racing Sessions that 1/2 inch space difference Seems Huge... I Found that Because i Moved my Seating Position for space at the Rim im Constantly Locking up the Brakes and when i Sit so my Legs are Good that im Not Smooth in the Corners because i have Less arm room and im Moving my whole upper body especially in Hard Quick turns.... When im Done i will Set up my TX and Hot Lap
  • @Grimey
    You! - You! - You're from the future! ;)

So far we have
    James - 2.26 (pad clean)
    Grimey - 2.29 (dirty)
    Josha - 2.31 (pad clean)

Do you think you could get a pad time and a TX time grimey, and I'll follow your ghost :)
    I thought I'd have a go gotta 2.27.750 clean w/ pad.

Might have another go later only had time for a couple of laps.
    edited April 2015
    That's not a bad time at all. I'm not sure I can get another 2/3 seconds on the pad to match those times. But the great thing about this test is. When our hubs arrive, everyone jump in that car/track combo and see just how much you can tear off it :D

Should be fun :D

So we now have:
    James - 2.26 (pad clean)
    Kyle - 2.27 (pad clean)
    Grimey - 2.29 (dirty) more to come ;)
    Josha - 2.31 (pad clean)

And we will keep adding too and improving these times until the hub arrives, then we can start seeing just how much better we are with the same car/track combo :)

I'm looking forward to it :D

Anyone else joining in?
    Remember it's not about who's fastest, it's just a bit of fun to see how much we can improve on our times with a wheel, which in essence kind of justifies why we buy our wheels in the first place, right :)
  • Jason ShafferJason Shaffer Member
    edited April 2015
    For anyone who fancies hot lapping:

BMW #92 M3 GT2 (Completely Stock - No upgrades - No Tuning - No Tyre Changes etc)
    Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

XBOX ONE PAD/Controller

Suggested Line -OFF
    ABS -OFF
    Steering -SIMULATION
    TCS -OFF
    Manual Shifting -YES
    Damage -COSMETIC

The best I was able to manage under those circumstances with only 7 laps on the track (as I had to get to work) was 2:29 (Clean)

Now, I'm curious to see how much I can improve over the coming days by using the pad (although I'm not a fan of the pad as I find it a tad disjointed) and if i can then improve further (and by how much) using a rim.

Anyone up for posting their time to assist me? :)
    I will try it and let you know. 

Thanks Joshua :)

I'm sure I can shave a little more off the top with a few more laps on the pad ;)
    I'm going to use this as a baseline to see just how much more accurate a wheel can be vs the pad, so thanks for that.

Anyone else going to get a lap in, so we can see if using a wheel can get me closer to your times, than using the pad :)

@Chris what about you :p

Natalie, I believe what you will find is that using a wheel will not make you faster, but it will make you more consistent. The gamepad uses a steering buffer to help the car steer.

With a gamepad I can usually get a top 1% leaderboard time on any track within 5-20 laps depending on track in FM5. With a wheel you can run clean lap after clean lap so your overall race time should improve, but your hotlap time doesn't really benefit any advantage.

EDIT: I purchased the BMW#92 for 650,000cr and ran it stock no assists on SPA for 4 laps my best lap was 2:26.130. All 4 laps were clean that car practically drives itself!

it depends on how good you are with a controller, I would say people who don't play video games can sit down and use a wheel and be a lot faster than using a controller. I can get top 5000 times easy with a controller but to be top 500 I need a wheel, the last few seconds off a lap need the extra precision. 
    People who don't play videogames shouldn't be in the conversation though because a wheel would be more natural for them to use. I think people who use both will give us the best idea.
    Hey Jason,

Will you throw a time in the mix for us :D

Just for fun, to see how much you can rip off it when your xbo hub arrives. I think we have a few more times to go up so I'll do a proper times list when I get a moment, but I think it'll be a fun experience to see how much we all improve over the pad, given that all other factors are essentialy equal.

Remember it's not a competition its to see if you can smash your own best pad time on Forza 5 with your Fanatec wheel hub when it arrives :)

• For anyone who fancies hot lapping:

BMW #92 M3 GT2 (Completely Stock - No upgrades - No Tuning - No Tyre Changes etc)

XBOX ONE PAD/Controller

Suggested Line -OFF
    ABS -OFF
    Steering -SIMULATION
    TCS -OFF
    Manual Shifting -YES
    Damage -COSMETIC

The best I was able to manage under those circumstances with only 7 laps on the track (as I had to get to work) was 2:29 (Clean)

Now, I'm curious to see how much I can improve over the coming days by using the pad (although I'm not a fan of the pad as I find it a tad disjointed) and if i can then improve further (and by how much) using a rim.

Anyone up for posting their time to assist me? :)
    I will try it and let you know. 

Thanks Joshua :)

I'm sure I can shave a little more off the top with a few more laps on the pad ;)
    I'm going to use this as a baseline to see just how much more accurate a wheel can be vs the pad, so thanks for that.

Anyone else going to get a lap in, so we can see if using a wheel can get me closer to your times, than using the pad :)

@Chris what about you :p

Natalie, I believe what you will find is that using a wheel will not make you faster, but it will make you more consistent. The gamepad uses a steering buffer to help the car steer.

With a gamepad I can usually get a top 1% leaderboard time on any track within 5-20 laps depending on track in FM5. With a wheel you can run clean lap after clean lap so your overall race time should improve, but your hotlap time doesn't really benefit any advantage.

EDIT: I purchased the BMW#92 for 650,000cr and ran it stock no assists on SPA for 4 laps my best lap was 2:26.130. All 4 laps were clean that car practically drives itself!

it depends on how good you are with a controller, I would say people who don't play video games can sit down and use a wheel and be a lot faster than using a controller. I can get top 5000 times easy with a controller but to be top 500 I need a wheel, the last few seconds off a lap need the extra precision. 
    People who don't play videogames shouldn't be in the conversation though because a wheel would be more natural for them to use. I think people who use both will give us the best idea.
    yeah, so far I am the slowest with a pad, so I should have the largest jump to a wheel, probably can at least take another second or two off with the pad, and maybe close in on 2:27 with a wheel. 
  • Hey Jason,

Just for fun, to see how much you can rip off it when your xbo hub arrives. I think we have a few more times to go up so I'll do a proper times list when I get a moment, but I think it'll be a fun experience to see how much we all improve over the pad, given that all other factors are essentialy equal.

Remember it's not a competition its to see if you can smash your own best pad time on Forza 5 with your Fanatec wheel hub when it arrives :)

I already did, I ran a 2:26.130, but now you call me James ! I only ran 4 laps though so I know I can go faster my S class time is a few seconds faster in my F50.
  • edited April 2015
    Im Pretty Sure i can Knock 2 Secs off that time with a Clean Run... I Did that time in a Career event Race!!! and We All Know the AI/Avatars on FM 5 are a Bunch of Prize Fighters!!! Also that was with the TX... Good wheel but Cant Compair to the V2!!! The Rim Size on the TX Sucks its Too Small and Makes Dtiving Very Twitchy... with the V2 and a Full Size Rim like the 918Porsche Times are Guarenteed to be Much Faster!!! Smoothness is Very Rewarding!!! All Grip No Slip = Faster Lap Times!!!
  • Jason ShafferJason Shaffer Member
    edited April 2015

Grimey , I ordered a 330mm OMP wheel for my hub, can't wait to get a larger diameter, all I have now is my Formula rim unless I want to swap out my V2 with my CSRE to which I say NO WAY!!!!

This V2 base is amazing even playing a dirty arcade game like The Crew on PC this thing almost dislocated my wrists, those types of games feel so incredibly weak on all other wheels.

• Hello Fanatec, does the XBox One wheel work wireless? Do I need a pc to update the firmware, or does a Mac work or better via USB stick.? At the website is no discription

I ordered the wheel with the GT wheel and got an shipping date of 28th of May which is fine for me since Project CARS will have an similar release date.

Wheel base V2 is waiting since day one unused :( Eigth weeks additional waiting should be possible :)

It does not work wireless. It uses the USB of the base.

You definitely need a PC to update the firmware or boot your Mac in PC mode
    That is very sad Thomas, since the Xbox One has an improved low latency wireless functionality. Maybe with the next wheel. What is the problem there? (time, technical skills?)

• I don't want white noise interfering with my ffb signal...and I don't know if wireless signal can be as good/accurate as by direct ish feed?
  • I have been a WMD member since day one in Oct. 2011 and has been a great 3.5 years. Ian Bell the head of SMS studio has said he would like to continue the WMD concept in the future.

For the forum section this is better

vbulletin

• I think Thomas needs to look or have looked at this closely too.
    On my smartphone, HTC M8 dual sim, I can't post directly. Not with HTC explorer, Firefox for android, Google Chrome for android... Accepted cookies in every browser and have desktop view on too. But still I need to use a 'notepad' to copy paste.
    edited April 2015
    Hey Jason,

I already did, I ran a 2:26.130, but now you call me James ! I only ran 4 laps though so I know I can go faster my S class time is a few seconds faster in my F50.

Why did I change your name, what's wrong with me? :D I'll get that fixed right now :)
    I'll be lucky to get my time down to 2.26 in that BMW (Stock) let alone go FASTER than that in that car :-0

Jason - 2.26.130 (Pad Clean)
    Kyle - 2.27.750 (Pad Clean)
    Natalie - 2.29.433 (Pad Clean)
    Josha - 2.31.845 (Pad Clean)
    Grimey - 2.29.595 (Dirty)

@Josha yea my time is not great on the pad, and I expect to improve on a wheel but likely not that much. It's very likely I'll only gain a second or 2 but I should be more consistent. My aim is to beat my own time AND I'd like to try and match the fastest pad time with my wheel time if I can so I'm going to try to gain 3 more seconds ;)

I'll put the full times up too so we can be more accurate.

@Antoine the forum does seem funky. My biggest issue is that I travel a lot and have to jump on different wifi connections all day which seems to cause me a lot of issues.

So we've all got a base time on a pad, in Forza 5 using an absolutely stock (fresh out the show room) BMW #92 with no assists at SPA. So let's see how good we can get on a pad (in our down time) and then when the hubs arrive we can hunt that ghost down and see just how much of a difference the wheel makes to each of us :D I'm curious to see the results :)

XBOX ONE PAD/Controller

Suggested Line -OFF
    ABS -OFF
    Steering -SIMULATION
    TCS -OFF
    Manual Shifting -YES
    Damage -COSMETIC

Post your before (pad) times and after (hub) times for fun and to help pass the time until the hub arrives :D
    edited April 2015
    As Jedrzej (best regards to Nigeria) cannot participate in the beta test, I will give the unit to Natalie who respondet fastest and is certainly qualified. And hey, she is our first female tester.

If we need more testers, i will let you know.

:-\" 8-> ;;) :\">

That's the forum playing up again Antoine!
    Look it's copied that post from Thomas again all by its self - honest ;)
  • That's not a bad time at all. I'm not sure I can get another 2/3 seconds on the pad to match those times. But the great thing about this test is. When our hubs arrive, everyone jump in that car/track combo and see just how much you can tear off it :D

Should be fun :D

So we now have:
    James - 2.26 (pad clean)
    Kyle - 2.27 (pad clean)
    Grimey - 2.29 (dirty) more to come ;)
    Josha - 2.31 (pad clean)

And we will keep adding too and improving these times until the hub arrives, then we can start seeing just how much better we are with the same car/track combo :)

I'm looking forward to it :D

Anyone else joining in?
    Remember it's not about who's fastest, it's just a bit of fun to see how much we can improve on our times with a wheel, which in essence kind of justifies why we buy our wheels in the first place, right :)
    My wheel times and pad times are pretty similar, well they were on Forza 4 with the CSR Elite. It would depend what track it would be. If there was short corners i would be quicker with the pad and long corners the wheel.

Although it never mattered the experience of using a wheel makes the pad irrelevant. Also with the wheel i would run laps within 1-2 tenths of each other where as with the pad my times would be all over the place.
    edited April 2015
    @Kyle Yea I'm not sure I'll improve much either, but it'll be fun trying :) particularly because I can then directly compare my time to the wheel. I've not done this comparison with Forza before, just other titles.

I also found that the lap I did on the pad was stressful and I never felt totally in control. Exactly like you say, long corners were harder on the pad as I couldn't get a smooth and consistent turn.

You're right Its definitely the experience, immersion and fun factor that a wheel brings to the table but it's gonna be fun compairing the pad vs hub times :)

Kyle do you run in a league online or are you mainly solo or open lobby? What's your preferred series?
    edited April 2015

@Kieren

Yea, I think they have a great foundation to build upon as you say, they could also have a lot of fun with the DLC too.
    They could even look at using the game engine to create a game similar to horizon to cover that corner of the market. Rally, off road, open world all using the CARS engine wouldn't be a bad thing if done well.

Do you have a favourite car in the game?
    Do you mean that the #40 car is named after you? If so that's brill :D if I see it, I'll be sure to smash it off of the track in a fit of jealous rage!
    /jk that's me joking again ;)

You should start a best CSWV2 wheel config/settings and share them or do you think the defaults are setup very well already?

Have you seen the console versions or is that all hush hush at the moment too?
    I have preordered the PS4 version but I will also order the XBO version now and do a full comparison as this will be with the same wheel, same base, same pedals same game so could provide interesting results :)

I don't want you mistaken as to which car to run off the track. Sorry I can't say I painted that car I had one of the best livery painters ever do it for me (Kmax1) as well as the larger portion of the work on the Logo on the tire wall in the photo. I added color and effects.

As for my wheel settings I am running a v1 base at default settings in game with a rotation of 420deg. 100% ffb on the wheel base setting and spring off .

As for my involvement here in the forum Thomas don't like me anymore because I am no longer the Super Fan I once was. My eye started twitching over my worries over my hardware. So my stress level was up from having to deal with support quite a few times over the last 4 and a half years.

I still believe in what it is Fanatec is trying to do but have little faith in his partners in China. I wish it were different because I think Thomas and his people in Germany and his web shops are all around good people but I have to think of me and RMA's weren't helping me to ease my mind.

I sent my v2 back

Don't get me wrong Johannes is a Trooper and is a big part of Fanatec's Moral Fiber

• Trevor GeddisTrevor Geddis Member
    edited April 2015
    Back to the OP, "Real race car steering wheels". Simple, functional. I'm okay with a universal hub and a plain Jane rim. image
  • I threw a Kart Steering wheel on a uni hub today which is the small 3 bolt pattern and it worked

• Ok Here we Go i Dusted off the TX and Hot Lapped at Spa... The BMw M3 GT2 I had set it a while back to R 900 and forgot to down grade it to its original power point...But other than that The Car was All Stock Tune as far as Suspention and aero... I Never Tune in Forza just No Need to because i use a wheel... I think the tuning helps Controler users. Tuning doent seem to make a diff with the wheel to me with the exeption that some cars i do add aero...This Time was done with No assist and im using Manual But Not with the Clutch my Best Lap was 2:21.598 took about 10 or so laps...I Havent Played Forza5 since Last July or so... its been Months!!! LOL... I Must say that the Graphics are Pretty Good... Its been Sooo Long since i played XB1 i Forgot how it is... Ive been on PS3 the Last few Months and before then i was playing F1 2014 on XB360... if PCars Looks and Plays like Forza with Better wheel Physics im Gonna Need time Off Work!!!

The TX while its a Good wheel.it Doesnt compair to the V2 at all in any way!!! I Felt like i was using a Toy Wheel to say the Least... The FFB on the V2 is a Giant Leap ahead of the TX in Every way!!!...Most will Focus on the Power of the V2 but the Power of the V2 is Not its True Beauty!!! The True Beauty of the V2 is the way it Conveys the Soft Subtle Changes in the Road Right to your Hand So you feel Connected to the Car and Road at all Times.
    I am Sure that when i get a XB1 wheel i can take at least 2 seconds off that time because there wers some parts that i Know i could Have been Faster but could Not Feel the Road enough through the TX to Truely Push the Car to its Limits.

My TX Wheel/T500 pedals are unhooked and im putting my V2 back in its place...I dont think i will be Hooking the TX up again any time Soon so Can i Suggest that the Hot Lap in the BMW be done at a 900 power point... My time is up on the leadernboards and i doubt that i will beat it if i Down grad the cars power point also Its Easier to upgrade the car than it would be for me to hook the TX back up because im Sooo Spoiled on the V2...LOL