Fanatec Driver 402 (before 399) incl. new Firmware Manager for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• Wheel Base Model : DD2

PC Driver : 401

Wheel Base Firmware: 684

Wheel Base Motor Firmware : 40

Steering Wheel Firmware : 17

Podium Hub Firmware : 5

Wireless Quick Release Firmware : 6

After just updating to v401, I performed a reboot of my Windows 10 then verified all firmware was being reported as 'up to date' then I launched ACCM for a blast around 'Highlands Short' in a 'Ferrari SF 15-T', after 1 lap the PBME display froze, the buttons and podium hub gear shifters stopped working too.

Dropping back to 'Fanalab v1.54.3' the active devices had switched from PBME to 'Podium Hub'.

Link to video showing pedals and wheel still functioning >>> https://youtu.be/1yFpC4aXp6M

Looking at the folder "C:\Users\Public\Fanatec Logs" the file "FwFanatecSetup" is the only file that has any errors recorded (not sure they are a red herring).... additionally the reported date in the file is 23 April even though this is a fresh install of Windows 10 this month (Is this the date stamp of the installer?);

---------------------------

Fanatec Wheel Setup Logs

Call: Apr 23 2020 09:59:50

OSVersion: Windows 10

[START TRACE]

Install Start

ASDeleteDesktopShortcut failed!

ServiceManager::ServiceOpen OpenService failed! 1060

Service does not exists

Remove service: ServiceOpen failed

ASServiceUninstall failed!

FWSCASetupApiDeviceInfoSet::HardwareIdCompare SetupDiGetDeviceRegistryProperty failed! Error: -536870389

FWSCASetupApiDeviceInfoSet::HardwareIdCompare SetupDiGetDeviceRegistryProperty failed! Error: 87

FWSCASetupApiDeviceInfoSet::HardwareIdCompare SetupDiGetDeviceRegistryProperty failed! Error: 87

_TARGETDIR: C:\Program Files\Fanatec\Fanatec Wheel\ms\FWVirtualInputDevice.inf

_TARGETDIR: C:\Program Files\Fanatec\Fanatec Wheel\ms\FWFilterUsbInstall.inf

FWSCASetupApiDeviceInfoSet::HardwareIdCompare SetupDiGetDeviceRegistryProperty failed! Error: -536870389

Install End

---------------------------

Grateful for assistance

• edited January 2021
    • Wheel Base Model (product ID): Clubsport 2.5
    • Steering Wheel Model (product ID): XBOX Universal HUB
    • Driver Version: 401
    • Base FW Version: 684
    • Motor FW Version: 22
    • Wheel FW Version: NoN
    • FanaLab Version: 1.54.3
    • With driver related issues collect log files and zip them from C:\Users\Public\Fanatec Logs

Fanalab Crash after Starting iRacing_Race

Practice and Testdrive Work

• Better post this in the Fanalab Thread where the Dev can see this post.

Also please provide the Windows Event Logs which are way more important than the Fanalab Logs.

• edited January 2021

I have a Clubsport v2.5 and i have updated the 400 and now 401 wen it opens ask for firmaware update and do noting!

closes the drive and does nothing, I reinstalled windows, I uninstalled and installed repaired, and it doesn't do anything!

Some help?

Pc driver 401

whell base firmware 680

whell base motor frmware 22

• Are there details on what LIN does somewhere? I know the default was changed this time around, and am trying to understand how I should adjust other settings accordingly.

I tried the DD1 over the weekend and it felt terrible - whereas I'd normally have the force setting at maybe 20-35, I found myself turning it up pat 50, which made me nervous.

I realize I can just turn LIN back off, but I'm sure it's there for a reason so I'd like to understand how it works. Ideally I'd like to know what other settings need to be adjusted to have the same "feel" with and without LIN enabled.

• Jack
  • You've already worked it out. LIN reduces overall force to stop transient peaks from exceeding holding torque. Why be nervous of increasing force to 50? The range is 0-100 so you are only half way. I routinely run my DD2 at 75.

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

Everyone with the issue of Firmware Manager not opening when pedals are plugged in

Please use the following instructions to provide windows event log files of the FirmwareManager.exe

• Since v399 i am having a bug where the wheel got grainy after playing some time, more than 30 minutes. I have it noticed several times in rF2 now. It feels worsa than with interpolation set to off. Its smooth and behaves like normal until some time and then it stays like that, until i switch it off and on again and then its back to normal.

Never had that with previous drivers and 400 did not fix it. Just installed 401, but doubt it will fix this either.

• Why be so lazy?

Why not create a new post instead of editing one from over a week by adding the update & change title.

A lot of us use & read the new feedbacks about the new update.

This post has information from 15th Jan that have nothing to do with the update & people are still talking about the 400 beta etc so information about 401 is being lost.

Come on fanatec admin think before you take short cuts.

• Marcel is there any need to update to this hotfix if the previous 400 driver and FW upgrades went fine? Or should we wait for the next full release.

Cheers

• no need to update, if you didn't have issues with 400.

As a follow up to my previous feedback of my 'Podium Wheel Base DD2' partially freezing during AC. After an evening of further lock ups and investigation, it APPEARS the issue is firmware related not Windows driver.

The Fanatec logs report no event during the freeze, and neither did the Windows logs the next time the freeze occurred (using info previously provided https://forum.fanatec.com/uploads/262/NVJLAQ0JEMTF.pdf).

Starting with everything switched off.

If I power on just the 'Podium Wheel Base DD2', I have now noticed the DD2 resets by itself without any intervention after a random amount of time.

I have today setup my phone to record this

Time line.... 

00:08 'Podium Wheel Base DD2' turned on via 'Kill Switch' Remote Power Button (everything else is off).

00:20 'Torque warning acknowledged' on PBME

NOTHING for 51 minutes.... Then (if you listen carefully, while I'm watching a 'Gamer Muscle' video on the other computer of him reviewing a Fanatec wheel and he's talking about buying either a DD or Simucube wheel 😀)

51:47 'Podium Wheel Base DD2' displays a flicker in the top right of the OLED display, too small to read on video

51:53 'Podium Wheel Base DD2' reboots on its own.

I will setup another recording of just the OLED display to see if I can capture the screen message.

Grateful for some guidance on a resolution.

Thank you.

• I'm relatively new at this and use PS4pro console for assetto corsa competizione. I've been having problems mapping buttons on CSL Elite wheel for PS4. This had occured in the last fortnight and before the recent very troublesome patch from acc. Basically the buttons that wouldn't map or double map were L1,L2,R3,R4. Other buttons and mfu switch work fine. This firmware hasn't resolved this for me. The Ffb is different , wheel feels less precise round centre but definitely more feel on lock. The feel though is different like very hot tyres on hot tarmac. This is even when the tyres are still at optimum temps. Maybe just need to get used to it. Anyway just leaving feedback . I know of other console users having problems with mapping buttons both on CSL Elite wheel and the new McLarenGT3 wheel.

From another camera angle

00:04 'Podium Wheel Base DD2' turned on via 'Kill Switch' Remote Power Button (everything else is off).

00:19 'Torque warning acknowledged' on PBME

09:05 OLED Display updates  - PBME no longer present

15:24 OLED Display updates  - PBME present again "ATTENTION Enable Torque?" even though it is showing in the line above as "HI Trq."

Grateful for some guidance on a resolution.

Thank you.

• I can back you up on the mapping issues.

I got the same with my V2 rim

• Thanks Gary! The nervousness is around safety - in the past the wheel was pretty forceful and I almost broke a thumb. Under the old settings, I knew that in the 20-35 range, I was 'safe'.

Do we know what the mapping is? Is it basically half now? (Ie does 70+LIM ON = 35+LIM OFF) Is it different for DD1 vs DD2?

LIM doesn't do anything as far as the games are concerned right, it's a 100% hardware setting that the games aren't aware of?

• What has changed between driver 400 and 401?

• From the previous page

Marcel Pfister January 27

New driver 401 (Hotfix) available

• Fixed: Firmware Manager does not open when pedals are connected.
    • Fixed: Weird spacing in hint text of LIN tuning menu setting (P DD).
    • Fixed: Text appears twice in DD motor sensor pop-up message.

• Thanks Alastair, missed that one.

Weird, I had no problems with the pedels be it connected through the base or direct as I used to update them.

• No worries it was buried in the middle of the posts on the last page. Yea I haven't had any issues with 400 updating anything as well, it all worked perfectly.

• I'm having trouble with the PBME after upgrading to driver 400/401.

All devices updated successfully and when it was time to update the PBME the installer could not connect and the update failed. After that the PBME is dead and it does not show up in my list of devices anymore.

I ran into this problem in the past and was able to solve using the DeviceModuleBootLoader utility, but it no longer works.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

• LIN on limits your base to the rated holding torque rather than the rated peak torque, so no it's not 50% force with LIN on vs LIN off.

LIN off at 100% FFB on a DD1 allows a peak torque of 20Nm and a holding torque of 15Nm, while LIN on allows 15Nm of peak AND holding torque. with LIN on the FFB delivery between the holding and peak is essentially the same, therefore you get a more linear FFB without the strong peaks you usually get with LIN off.

• To this simple soul, LIN should have no effect at lower FFB settings. It should feel identical whether LIN is on or off unless you are using higher settings where peaks exceed the holding torque. But this is not how it works in practice. According to the forum experts it reduces the power by 20 percent for DD2 (25% for DD1) linearly at all settings. Feels like more to me; my unscientific anecdotal testing tells me that turning LIN on reduces the FFb by more than that.

• Of course it reduces the overall FFB also on lower FFB settings.

When on a DD2 with LIN OFF the Peak Torque is 25Nm and you set the FF to 60 then this will result in Peaks of 15Nm (25x0,60=15). To get the same FFB across the whole range with LIN ON you need to increase the value to FF75 because the Base is now 20Nm Peak Max, so 20x0,75=15.

• Gagaryn .Gagaryn . Member
    edited January 2021

My point is, as you eloquently demonstrated in your example - at 60% the output is already linear with LIN off as it it does not exceed the holding torque capability. There is no requirement for LIN on to reduce output at this setting to maintain linear response - it is already linear. Scaled reduction is only required at higher levels where peaks would fall outwith the operating parameters.

• but that isn't how the linear mode on the DD works. the 60% are always set from the true 100% peak of 25Nm for the DD2 while with LIN on the same 60% are set from the holding torque of the DD2 at 20Nm.

Peak torque is still different at 60% either with LIN on or off like Maurice shows in his small calculation.

Could be a loose contact / connection issue, it could be the base or the wheel, if you have another wheel and it is not happening there it might be the GT-3R but hard to tell, best is probably to contact support.

Nice Cyberpunk in the background 😉

So far I think this is not happening for anyone else, it might be an hardware issue. Can you go back to a driver where you are sure it worked before to find out if its hardware or software related?

This discussion has been closed.