Fanatec Driver 402 (before 399) incl. new Firmware Manager for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• What was the cause? Failed update or connecting USB and RJ12 simultaneously? If the former I would push for Fanatec to replace, if the latter the situation is less clear cut - instruction is not to do this but there is a case to be made that the circuit design should include mitigation for such circumstances.

• I gave a more detailed response to this but the admins deleted it. The update just failed. Pedals were only connected by USB. RJ was disconnected as recommended.

• Sorry to hear about your pedals Andrew, I've been following this thread daily specifically for V3 pedal update info, and there's been almost none about what the update actually does (is it increased resolution, bit rate, what?). I wonder why your explanation was deleted?

I just really really want to upgrade my pedals. Getting rock solid performance with the DD using the last beta driver, and all I want is a way to safely update the pedals. Can we please have a stand alone pedal update please Fanatec?

• it is a standalone pedal update if you dont connect your base but only your pedals.

And the updater is safe in general, otherwise many more reports of broken pedals would come up, which is not the case.

So, just update and try out the new firmware and see if you like it or not.

• My pedals seem ok so far since UD 402, but I can't play Assetto Corsa; the steering is almost non existent, and I have tried umpteen different settings, also "repaired" the update - no difference, deleted and re-installed it - no difference. If I am stationary on track the in-game wheel turns, almost in sync, but as soon as I move forward the in-game wheel is responding by about 1-2% - basically no steering. When I eventually gave up with AC I moved to PC2, to discover a new fault; I use a Fanatec shifter, and I can see the car dash respond to the gear changes, but, the car remains in the same gear regardless of what is selected and displayed. Go figure - please.

• edited March 2021

Correction - my clutch pedal is not working correctly now. When I refer to the gears being the problem, I puzzled over it some more and tried a few things I discovered the gears are not the problem, it is the clutch, and the game was simulating a slipping clutch. Also, in properties, I have reverted back to Driver 381 now, I cannot calibrate the clutch. The blue fill is half way up the column before I touch the pedal, and when I do press it just the slightest press registers as full on, and the blue colour immediately fills the column. Also, the test column for handbrake is filled half way up - I do not have a hand brake. I have not linked any pedals.

The clutch behaves like this in PC2, ETS2, AC, and AMS2. Steering still does not work in AC. Also in AC, the clutch cannot be assigned, though it does work as described.

Could there be a physical reason for the clutch behaving this way? How do I test? Help please. Fanatec gear is great when it functions as it should, but very frustrating when there are problems.

• MiMMiM Member

im using csl elite ps4 bmw gt2.. when playing FH4 its will stuck and freeze screen when playing and benchmark mode.. using driver from 373 until 402 still same.. other game work perfectly, only FH4 crashing.. can anyone help..

Hardware : CSL elite ps4 bmw gt2 + clubsport pedal v3

Forza Horizon 4 from steam pc

Gpu : nvidia 3070 with latest driver

• then it isn't a wheel issue MiM, better to check your PC then.

• MiMMiM Member

Yes is not wheel issue.. but driver issue.. when i play FH4 without wheel no problem.. game reinstall almost 5x time.. now my brain also stuck.. so what should i do.. i think that driver is clashing with FH4. Anyone play FH4 using csl ps4 elite? Can u list down what driver and firmware are using..

• Hi,

I have migrated assetto corsa comp. to a new PC + base to v381 without any problem and I realise that there is no pedal vibration feedback (clubsport v3). I did set the user preference (Podium F1/ps4 BLI/ BRK LVL) to 95/90/70/50 but no effect.

I am connected directly to a USB3 on the PC. Previously on the PS4 I had the club sport V3 connected to the Base(Podium F1/ps4) directly and I had no problem with break vibration BLI 95.

On PC is it necessary to install Fanalab to have the vibrations recognized? Or is there a parameter to activate in-game to recognize the vibrations?

With a direct USB connection to the PC there are two controllers recognized by Win10. Maybe a special setting is needed in the system controllers ?

Sincerely

• additional information : base update to v381 + clubsport v3 update since the effects no longer work.

• yes you need Fanalab for Vibration on pc for ACC

• Thanks Juergen

• The Brk Lvl vibration only available when the pedals are connected via RJ12 to the Base and not via USB to PC.

Vibration work perfectly with Fanalab Software on USB3

Hope it will help the next one

• Hi Fanatec Team,

Installed 4.02 yesterday having been on the 3.89 release for a while (which had been fantastic for me). I am on a DD2 with the BME, Podium hub, APM and Porsche Wheel.

• Installation went really well and all of the firmware updates were seamless.
    • Jumped in to iRacing and had no FFB at all. Everything else worked fine BME, APM, LEDs etc.
    • Checked it out on the Fanatec wheel properties page with exactly the same result.
    • Downgraded back to 3.89 and everything went back to normal with full FFB.

Admittedly my rig is pretty busy with USB connections etc but nothing else had changed - only the driver upgrade.

Will do some more testing but just thought it was worth reporting.

Thanks for the continued hardwork. Love my DD2!

Cheers

Adrian

• I think they deleted it because I posted how much they charged me to buy a new PCB since they wouldn't replace it under warranty. After I requested support I read a post on reddit that said you should not tell Fanatec how your equipment failed. Unfortunately I told them it was the firmware update up front. If I would of left out the details they probably would of replaced the part under warranty.

If you brick your pedals for sure play dumb and just say your pedals stopped working so you actually have a chance to use your warranty.

PS I still don't have my replacement PCB, my sim rig has been down for 3 weeks. :(

• Assumptions creates the worst fuck ups off all time.

Nobody deleted your post. Hell... They haven't deleted worst post than yours with swearwords and full personal attacks... 😉

As reported in several threads there is a bug that creates issues with posts if posted very quickly between 2 replies or edited in very short time between porting that for some reason get hidden and waiting for approval from admins in order to show.

They are in a black hole in the forum that not even moderators or admins can find them.

When this happen the user sees briefly a message on the bottom left of the screen advising that authorization pending.

Moreover.... On your last actually you are telling people that even if they don't read the manual and do something that is totally they wrong doing to blame the manufacturer by lying and not man up and own their mistake? Very good example for young generations. I hope it only applies to Fanatec stuff and not a moto of life....

• Playing dumb is a bit different then lying, i don't say it's correct but i understand why he mentions it.

I have done a fair amount of beta testing and reviewing for dj equipment in the past and did a lot of firmware upgrades in my life and (knocks on wood) never had any issues with bricked hardware but i would be p*ss*ed also when i brick a good functioning piece of hardware because of a firmware upgrade.

Firmware upgrades however never come without a risk, and when i bought my first Fanatec gear i upgraded everything without any thoughts but last few releases i've been a bit more cautious and waited a few days to a week before upgrading my own stuff (i skipped 400, 401 and went from 381 to 402).

Beta testing is fun but when a manufacturer just says "yeah nice that you are beta testing our stuff and sorry that it broke down while flashing the beta firmware but don't expect anything from us just pay the full price for a replacement" i don't think there will be much users who want to beta test anymore ;) But every story has 2 sides and we only heard one side... i only had positive experiences with tech support and they where fast in finding and coming up with solutions so unlike i'm happy with support but i'm unhappy with other things, lets say no company is perfect ;)

• Hi,

Can we get an update on this ?

Will there be a fix anytime soon ?

• I doubt this is a driver issue. Seems more likely that the wheel is intermittently disconnecting from the PC. This could be a hardware issue or a USB issue.

• Ok can someone help! First I received a defective V2.5 wheel base and Fanatec support has being awesome replacing it with a new one. Now the new one can’t update. So far I’ve downloaded 4.02 driver and failed to load the default hex file. Next line was flash erased. Now the base can’t be recognised. I tried the repair driver function. Then reverted to all of the previous officially released drivers and launched the updater from fw Fanatec folder but can’t discover the base. Base blinks blue for boot loader mode but Fanatec software says it’s not in boot loader or connected

• Please stop repeating the same thing. it’s just wrong. Let Fanatec answer please. There is nothing wrong with my USB connection. If I switch to another wheel the issue is gone.

All the people who have reported the same issue are running the PBME, take a hint.

• Presuming you meant to quote me instead of yourself! Fanatec rarely reply to problems like this in the community forum - they have a technical support department that deals with these issues. You will simply be told to contact them.

I had exactly the same issue as you. I have three wheels - the only one affected was the Porsche wheel with the PBME. I tried everything to fix the problem - it seemed obvious to me that the problem lay in the driver or Fanalab or the Podium Hub that my PBME was connected to. I worked on this assumption for months even contacted support, returned my gear, had some of it replaced and the issue persisted.

I eventually solved the problem by shifting to a shielded USB connection from the wheelbase to the PC. It know it is counterintuitive but my current suspicion is that the PBME is more sensitive than other wheels to USB interference. You could see if this fixes your problem - would cost you 10 minutes and the price of a shielded USB cable. I can't guarantee it will work for you but it's simple to try and there is no reason to dismiss it as 'wrong' without trying it. I think you are wrong in assuming it is driver related. If you are so sure it is - roll back to an earlier driver! (PS, I tried that and it won't help!)

• While updating my Podium Button Module Endurance, the new firmware updater encountered an error with 10% complete. Now, the PBME does not show up at all on the Firmware Manager page. I've tried rolling back drivers, and the PBME does not show up there either. I've tried updating the hub with the button module disconnected, then plugging it in to no avail. Any tips? I put in a ticket but my sense is a lot of people are having this issue based on the forums...

• Ok I sorted my Clubsport 2.5 base and F V2 rim to work. Ffb and everything it’s great but with this driver I get 99% cpu load and game crashes. I borrowed very cheap pxn wheel and with it my game runs flawlessly. Ryzen 3900x here that at max load runs 55c hot. How can this be fixed ? Is it because usb 3 and 2 ports ?

• If you think something is wrong with your BME, open a support ticket.

As Gary has written, Fanatec doesn't answer support question in the forum.

• Sorted with Driver 346. So my wheel base and rim got latest fw but I use 346 pc driver

• Thx Gary.

I will give that a try.

Still I think it is very sad that we are left experimenting and trying on our own to make it work.

If a shielded cable is what is required to have this 650$ wheel work as expected, the least Fanatec could do is tell us.

• 1- I repeat, I think there is nothing wrong with the hardware.

2- This bug appeared after a software update.

3- Who are Maurice and Marcel then ?

This discussion has been closed.