Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel - GT Sport Compatibility - UPDATE

Comments

• The Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel will be compatible with the game in time for the release of GT Sport. unfortunately it is not the case. there is something new when an update comes. this is really bad what the going
  • Leo WongLeo Wong Member
    edited October 2017
    New GT Sport update:

No Fanatec integration. Just fixes for the issues related to Thrustmaster hardware and a few DS4 updates.

I have to say now a week in i'm really not satisfied with where things stand. If I wanted a G29 I would have bought one, and for all peoples beliefs and views on this product I personally like others have not seen the levels of performance that I come to expect with this product based on the principals which it was sold on. Even if people were happy an intergration was made if it's not for the product you bought it's just not appropriate. I'd rather not have one at all. than settle for something that's not the product we spent our money on!

I struggle with Assetto Corsa, to popular opinion one of the best physics titles in the market and to me feels little different to GT Sport with a BMW Rim and whilst I own a Formula it's not something I wish to use unless driving where one is appropriate. 

We need some form of update on this situation because at the moment to people buying a CSL I wouldn't say based on my findings and experiences from launch it's worth it for the price point. I've tried peoples settings but the issue is everything is personal to that individual for their style and so far nothing has really captured me in the ways I expected.

I hope this improves, but again I feel I rushed to buy a product based upon the name and it's acclaim and have been left rather burnt out by the whole experience. 

• I tried to send you a PM Jonathan, but for one reason or the other I get the mail delivery system error.. After the last new FW update GTS was very playable in the first week, but AC doesn’t keep it wheel settings, PC2 is a joke and the almost continues vibration in the wheel is very distracting.. I totally agree with your post, after years and years of Fanatec (Porsche, CSR and CSL E with lC) I’m starting to get really fed up with this BS.. Spending far over € 1000 over the years and now they leave us in the S...  

• Hi Guys. I am new here with just having purchased the wheel to go with GTS.
    The wheel itself and the pedals far exceeded my expectations with the quality however I have been very frustrated with the performance of the set up with GTS. My wheel ceases to function after about 5 minutes untill you turn it off and reboot it.
    I was also sucked in by the statement that it was compatible with the PS4.
    All I want to do is go racing so with that in mind will the wheel work seamlessly in Project Cars 2. I have Project Cars 1 but it does not work with that on the PS4.
    Philmac
  • It does say *new* on the site of Fanatec when you go to the download page.
    Is that the same "update" as Jonathan is talking about?
  • It does say *new* on the site of Fanatec when you go to the download page.
    Is that the same "update" as Jonathan is talking about?
    Not sure. Didn’t look that far back. But it was updated Friday.
  • Perhaps reading back some of the comments here is a great help, in stead of posting things more than once
  • Hi Guys. I am new here with just having purchased the wheel to go with GTS.
    The wheel itself and the pedals far exceeded my expectations with the quality however I have been very frustrated with the performance of the set up with GTS. My wheel ceases to function after about 5 minutes untill you turn it off and reboot it.
    I was also sucked in by the statement that it was compatible with the PS4.
    All I want to do is go racing so with that in mind will the wheel work seamlessly in Project Cars 2. I have Project Cars 1 but it does not work with that on the PS4.
    Philmac
    Hi Philip, 

Just update the wheel with PC you have two mode to play with and for what I see GTS will be feel far better from you are now
  • edited October 2017
    @Philip McCarthy After updating....GTS is playable in purple mode 1 = G29 emulation, pc2 and AC need to be played in blue = ps4 mode and pc1 needs to be played in purple 2 = V2 mode, you can achieve that function by pressing the Mode button about 10 seconds.
  • edited October 2017
    Comming back to my question above.
    Does that mean we have an updated version 293 now? I mean a revised 293 compared to that one which has been released on Oct.18th? The download link is flagged with '*new*' which was not the case on Oct. 18th. And the file size for the 32 bit version changed from 20.232KB to 20.252KB. At least somehow confusing... 
    Does this *new* driver package file include a revised firmware as well?
  • Thanks for the help. I shall try that later today.
    Phil
  • I have used it in both modes, I have to say through my findings i've been very underwhelmed with both, I don't see any real improvements in the G29 mode Despite peoples settings I have had real issues in fine tuning the wheelbase and again despite what people say on this forum I have not been happy with the title or the base with GT and even though we have an emulation it's not what me or many others had bought into and with no updates from Thomas on the progress made with there now being an update and no acknowledgement from Fanatec it's not looking good from my perspective. 
    I am 100% sure that AC is to blame for weak ffb output. Just because it's not possible to select a preset CSL E wheel base setting. Try the G29 mode, and the game auto selects the G29 settings. Curb and road feel differ night and day between the two modes. Hope Thomas can pull some strings at the portal of Kunos... Cause this is, again a factor that we can't live with
  • I am 100% sure that AC is to blame for weak ffb output. Just because it's not possible to select a preset CSL E wheel base setting. Try the G29 mode, and the game auto selects the G29 settings. Curb and road feel differ night and day between the two modes. Hope Thomas can pull some strings at the portal of Kunos... Cause this is, again a factor that we can't live with
    Antoine, I'm not sure AC is 100% to blame here but i do agree 100% that AC 1.15 on PS4 Pro does not feel right with the CSL-E PS4 in Blue mode.  The FFB has a lot of bounce from the road surface undulation but springy front end feel.  I don't care to use G29 mode since it is only SUPPOSED to be a temporary fix for GTS ... AC is still listed on the fully supported list.  

The other thing that I have found with AC is that the game does not automatically recognize that the wheel is connected and thinks the user is playing with controller.  You have to go into the settings and select one of the wheel presets every time.  This (to me) sounds like the wheel is NOT properly supported my Kunos or AC.

My T300 base arrived from the repair center yesterday.  To make sure my mind is not playing tricks on me I will be back to back testing the CSL-E PS4 vs T300 Ferrari Alcantara over the next two days and will report back.  Lets just hope the T300 lasts long enough to test ... LOL

SA
  • edited October 2017
    The controller issue wasn't there before latest update and I'm 100% sure ffb felt better too. I now have curb feel at 55% and still feel hardly anything. I've BETA tested the CSL E PS4, when I played AC at that time all sliders were set no more than 35%. Either is something wrong with SDK that Fanatec sends to the developers or game devs tune ffb down for themselves.
  • The controller issue wasn't there before latest update and I'm 100% sure ffb felt better too. I now have curb feel at 55% and still feel hardly anything. I've BETA tested the CSL E PS4, when I played AC at that time all sliders were set no more than 35%. Either is something wrong with SDK that Fanatec sends to the developers or game devs tune ffb down for themselves.
    To clarify:

- did you beta test AC with PS4 or PC?
    - which release of AC did you test with?  1.15 came out on the 12th of September.  

SA
  • edited October 2017
    Hi Thomas, beside GTSport obviously there are issues with Assetto Corsa as well. What do you recommend to your customers? Shall we use the compatibility mode instead of the PS4 mode here as well? Could you please address those issues to the Kunos crew? Or do you think your firmware needs to be patched? Thanks for your reply.

• The other thing that I have found with AC is that the game does not automatically recognize that the wheel is connected and thinks the user is playing with controller.  You have to go into the settings and select one of the wheel presets every time.  This (to me) sounds like the wheel is NOT properly supported my Kunos or AC.

//
    ÁC not keeping it's settings started after the latest FW update, it made GTS playeble but the other PS4 games worse..

• http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/fanatec-csl-elite-is-broken-by-update.47744/

Some conversation on the AC board.  Looks like the CSL-E being incorrect is known and is a Kunos issue not a Fanatec Issue.

Getting really frustrated now.
    PC2 - FFB is not properly implemented for CSL-E
    GTS - FFB is not properly implemented for CSL-E
    AC - FFB is not properly implemented for CSL-E

WTF?!?!
  • Hi Thomas, beside GTSport obviously there are issues with Assetto Corsa as well. What do you recommend to your customers? Shall we use the compatibility mode instead of the PS4 mode here as well? Could you please address those issues to the Kunos crew? Or do you think your firmware needs to be patched? Thanks for your reply.

Please let’s not forget PC2, or has any off you found some acceptable settings.. 

• JP Mens said
    Please let’s not forget PC2, or has any off you found some acceptable settings.. 
    I've found the following is the best for my taste of a poorly implemented FFB system in PC2 for PS4

Game:
    Raw
    Gain - 85
    Volume - 60
    Tone - 40
    FX - 40

Wheel:
    Firmware : 297 (no FEI / no G29 emulation)
    Mode : Blue
    Sen : 090
    FF : 100
    Sho : off
    ABS : off
    Dri : -03
    For : 080 (helps take out a bit of the springy feel and leave some of the details)
    Spr : 100 (sometimes I use 120)
    Dpr : 100 (sometimes I use 120)
    Brf : 040 (i like a lighter brake pedal on my load cell)

CSL Elite Load cell setup:
    custom inverted mount
    3 x 65 elastomer
    2 x 85 elastomer
    no foam
    This gives me a more immediate response without the super soft dead zone that the foam gives.

all that gives me the best feel i can find in PC2.  there is little to no oscillation in the wheel.  Everything is smooth and well damped...but the PC2 FFB style is still there - wheel weight increases too quickly with steering angle and little to no road feel.  very harsh shock effects but nearly no kerb or road texture.  

• JP Mens said
    I've found the following is the best for my taste of a poorly implemented FFB system in PC2 for PS4

Game:
    Raw
    Gain - 85
    Volume - 60
    Tone - 40
    FX - 40

Wheel:
    Firmware : 297 (no FEI / no G29 emulation)
    Mode : Blue
    Sen : 090
    FF : 100
    Sho : off
    ABS : off
    Dri : -03
    For : 080 (helps take out a bit of the springy feel and leave some of the details)
    Spr : 100 (sometimes I use 120)
    Dpr : 100 (sometimes I use 120)
    Brf : 040 (i like a lighter brake pedal on my load cell)

CSL Elite Load cell setup:
    custom inverted mount
    3 x 65 elastomer
    2 x 85 elastomer
    no foam
    This gives me a more immediate response without the super soft dead zone that the foam gives.

all that gives me the best feel i can find in PC2.  there is little to no oscillation in the wheel.  Everything is smooth and well damped...but the PC2 FFB style is still there - wheel weight increases too quickly with steering angle and little to no road feel.  very harsh shock effects but nearly no kerb or road texture.  

Nice, did you have something like this for AC too? we have the problem this is the best way to deal with it till they fix it.
  • Cheers Romero, I'll try it later and will let you know..
  • JP Mens said:
    Cheers Romero, I'll try it later and will let you know..
    Romero?!?!?  those were my settings :) :) :)
  • The controller issue wasn't there before latest update and I'm 100% sure ffb felt better too. I now have curb feel at 55% and still feel hardly anything. I've BETA tested the CSL E PS4, when I played AC at that time all sliders were set no more than 35%. Either is something wrong with SDK that Fanatec sends to the developers or game devs tune ffb down for themselves.
    To clarify:

- which release of AC did you test with?  1.15 came out on the 12th of September.  

SA
    The controller issue wasn't there before latest update and I'm 100% sure ffb felt better too. I now have curb feel at 55% and still feel hardly anything. I've BETA tested the CSL E PS4, when I played AC at that time all sliders were set no more than 35%. Either is something wrong with SDK that Fanatec sends to the developers or game devs tune ffb down for themselves.
    To clarify:

SA
    PS4. I've had the beta base since late April... So do the math ;)
  • JP Mens said:
    Cheers Romero, I'll try it later and will let you know..
    Romero?!?!?  those were my settings :) :) :)
    Sorry Scott, It's been a long day..
  • I spoke to forum members on AC and they informed me of the settings they were using and said how brilliant it was with the CSL base. Something that is recognised in a wheel list within the software. As for my feelings with the settings, I was advised by Fanatec to buy a CSW V2 which just showed where they believe things are and perhaps lie in the future with the company.

It's not healthy to hear so many CSL PC users falling in love with the wheel yet us on PS4 have really struggled. FEI at default has helped somewhat but the mechanical knocking is abysmal just for some "Simulated" feetback. I really hope things are sorted, I just want to be assured the investments I made were worthwhile. I never had reliablity issues with Thrustmaster and still wish I hadn't "Upgraded) based upon current data and findings. 
  • PS4. I've had the beta base since late April... So do the math ;)
    Thank you.  So...i'm not crazy there and it is something related to AC 1.15 being crap compared to AC 1.14.  I hope Kunos gets it fixed quickly...but I doubt it.
  • JP Mens said:
    Sorry Scott, It's been a long day..
    No worries...i was just having fun
  • edited October 2017
    Guys - do any of you still have issues with feeling understeer? I had the T300RS for a few days before i bought the fanatec and i hate to say it but it just doesnt feel like this wheel is worth the premium we paid for on PS4. i've updated the new 335 but still compared to the T300s, i cant feel the road...

a good example would be drive the audi r8 on the brands hatch gp circuit (in campagin mode/circuit experience). Honestly the car is too twitchy for my taste but its super fun when you can feel the understeer on the t300rs except on the fanatec its the most frustrating experience to find grip cuz no feedback! tempted to return the wheel and go back to the thurstmaster but maybe keep the pedals....