CSL Elite McLaren Steering Wheel will ship in June

Comments

• Hi , just quick update.

I have been using beta driver V314 and thought it had fixed my shifting issues but it's back , not sure why it worked perfectly for 4 weeks (couple hours a day) then in the last week it has happened a few times (not shifting or double shift) . It seems to happen a few times over a lap or two then goes away for the next 20 - 30 laps . Sometimes it only does it a few times at the beginning of a session then for the rest of the session it's ok or sometimes the other way round.

Before when it would happen it would be almost unusable (happen just about every time) but this time it seems to come good after a while.

It's still seems random as sometimes it works fine.
  • Can anyone having problems with buttons randomly not responding try this. If N stops try and press both N and P, does N work now? If Y stops try Y and A buttons, working? I notice that anytime a button stops responding it will work using a double combination.
    Mate, you're spot on. I had no trouble for weeks then suddenly I had the random pit limiter button not work while I was coming out of the pits. Lost 2nd place because of it. Anyways, I hit both P & N together (after seeing this post the day before) and it worked again.

I'm on beta driver 314 which was meant to fix these issues. 

This issue is driving me crazy. I wonder if someone from Fanatec who understands the firmware coding can explain what is happening with the communication in the wheel that allows two buttons to make the unresponsive button work. I'm on my 2nd wheel with the same issues.
    It is frustrating. And the lack of communication about the issue from Fanatec isn't helping either. the odd update now and again wouldn't hurt anybody.
  • There is a thread on race department about this issue and some guy pulled apart his wheel and reckons it is a mechanical issue and not firmware related. Something about the pads the shifter contacts with moving because it is not secured properly. I believe he apparently soldered it and it is working as per usual. Is worth a look. Link below https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-mclaren-gt3-rim-problems.151970/page-6#post-2838621
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Can anyone having problems with buttons randomly not responding try this. If N stops try and press both N and P, does N work now? If Y stops try Y and A buttons, working? I notice that anytime a button stops responding it will work using a double combination.
    Mate, you're spot on. I had no trouble for weeks then suddenly I had the random pit limiter button not work while I was coming out of the pits. Lost 2nd place because of it. Anyways, I hit both P & N together (after seeing this post the day before) and it worked again.

I'm on beta driver 314 which was meant to fix these issues. 

This issue is driving me crazy. I wonder if someone from Fanatec who understands the firmware coding can explain what is happening with the communication in the wheel that allows two buttons to make the unresponsive button work. I'm on my 2nd wheel with the same issues.
    It is frustrating. And the lack of communication about the issue from Fanatec isn't helping either. the odd update now and again wouldn't hurt anybody.
    Unfortunately we can't provide too many details as the investigation into this issue is ongoing.

There is a thread on race department about this issue and some guy pulled apart his wheel and reckons it is a mechanical issue and not firmware related. Something about the pads the shifter contacts with moving because it is not secured properly. I believe he apparently soldered it and it is working as per usual. Is worth a look. Link below https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-mclaren-gt3-rim-problems.151970/page-6#post-2838621
    We have noted this assessment (and are in contact with the original poster), but it is not definitive. We are currently performing a full investigation with Snaptron, whose technology we use for this shifter system.
  • Good info Dominic, good to see fanatec are trying to get to the bottom of it.
  • There is a thread on race department about this issue and some guy pulled apart his wheel and reckons it is a mechanical issue and not firmware related. Something about the pads the shifter contacts with moving because it is not secured properly. I believe he apparently soldered it and it is working as per usual. Is worth a look. Link below https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-mclaren-gt3-rim-problems.151970/page-6#post-2838621
    That's all well and good but not many of us (me included) want to open up and solder a €200 rim lol
  • We have noted this assessment (and are in contact with the original poster), but it is not definitive. We are currently performing a full investigation with Snaptron, whose technology we use for this shifter system.
    And what about the random button malfunctions? Is this a Snaptron product too? 

Thanks for the info.
    That's all well and good but not many of us (me included) want to open up and solder a €200 rim lol
    And I wouldnt know how to either.
  • I have a question about updating firmwares for my different Fanatec devices. The firmwares are contained in the driver and you connect your full system up (pedals, handbrake, shifter, wheel base and wheel) and run the update. Ok so far. But I have different wheels and think I have read to update the firmware (or install the driver?) I always have to make sure my original PS4 wheel is connected to my PS4 Elite base when updating. I tried it with another wheel attached to the PS4 Elite base and the update went wrong resulting in a replacement of the base though I’m not sure that was due to the update, it was my first update before using the system. But so how do I update the firmare on my other wheels (P1 Elite and McLaren)? Reinstall the driver three times each time with a different wheel attached? Hope someone can help me.

Can anyone help me with this? The question is how to update separate rims on a CSL Elite for PS4 thta came with the PS4 rim. The first time I tried updating with another rim than the stock rim it broke the base but that could have been a coincidence.
  • edited October 2018
    I have a question about updating firmwares for my different Fanatec devices. The firmwares are contained in the driver and you connect your full system up (pedals, handbrake, shifter, wheel base and wheel) and run the update. Ok so far. But I have different wheels and think I have read to update the firmware (or install the driver?) I always have to make sure my original PS4 wheel is connected to my PS4 Elite base when updating. I tried it with another wheel attached to the PS4 Elite base and the update went wrong resulting in a replacement of the base though I’m not sure that was due to the update, it was my first update before using the system. But so how do I update the firmare on my other wheels (P1 Elite and McLaren)? Reinstall the driver three times each time with a different wheel attached? Hope someone can help me.

Can anyone help me with this? The question is how to update separate rims on a CSL Elite for PS4 thta came with the PS4 rim. The first time I tried updating with another rim than the stock rim it broke the base but that could have been a coincidence.
    Only the McLaren has a separate Rim Firmware, all other steering wheels do not have this feature so there is no need to flash the base firmware several times unless there is a bug with your base which eventually could be resolved by flashing the firmware again.
    It is also not neccessary to attach the stock PS4 Elite P1 rim to the Base when updating the firmware. You can do a firmware update even without any steering wheel rim attached.
  • I have a question about updating firmwares for my different Fanatec devices. The firmwares are contained in the driver and you connect your full system up (pedals, handbrake, shifter, wheel base and wheel) and run the update. Ok so far. But I have different wheels and think I have read to update the firmware (or install the driver?) I always have to make sure my original PS4 wheel is connected to my PS4 Elite base when updating. I tried it with another wheel attached to the PS4 Elite base and the update went wrong resulting in a replacement of the base though I’m not sure that was due to the update, it was my first update before using the system. But so how do I update the firmare on my other wheels (P1 Elite and McLaren)? Reinstall the driver three times each time with a different wheel attached? Hope someone can help me.

Only the McLaren has a separate Rim Firmware, all other steering wheels do not have this feature so there is no need to flash the base firmware several times unless there is a bug with your base which eventually could be resolved by flashing the firmware again.
    It is also not neccessary to attach the stock PS4 Elite P1 rim to the Base when updating the firmware. You can do a firmware update even without any steering wheel rim attached.

Thanks Maurice, there must have been something wrong with the base then as I flashed it with the P1 Elite Xbox rim before I used it. One thing I don’t understand though: doesn’t my P1 Elite Xbox rim have firmware since it makes the PS4 base Xbox compatible? So updates to Xbox compatibility for new games etc... are in the PS4 base?

Thanks Maurice, there must have been something wrong with the base then as I flashed it with the P1 Elite Xbox rim before I used it. One thing I don’t understand though: doesn’t my P1 Elite Xbox rim have firmware since it makes the PS4 base Xbox compatible? So updates to Xbox compatibility for new games etc... are in the PS4 base?
    No, the CSL Elite Xbox Rim does not have a separate firmware. All future updates are flashed only to the PS4 wheel base (at least with this rim). As said, only the McLaren does have a separate firmware for the rim itself which could be updated if neccessary.
    The Xbox rim only has a Microsoft security chip build in but that one does not need any updates ;-)
  • No, the CSL Elite Xbox Rim does not have a separate firmware. All future updates are flashed only to the PS4 wheel base (at least with this rim). As said, only the McLaren does have a separate firmware for the rim itself which could be updated if neccessary.
    The Xbox rim only has a Microsoft security chip build in but that one does not need any updates ;-)

Thank you very much Maurice!
    I have done a few firmware updates with the PS4 rim attached in the past 6 months but I'll finally give it a try with the McLaren now.
    Many thanks!
  • No, the CSL Elite Xbox Rim does not have a separate firmware. All future updates are flashed only to the PS4 wheel base (at least with this rim). As said, only the McLaren does have a separate firmware for the rim itself which could be updated if neccessary.

Thank you very much Maurice!
    I have done a few firmware updates with the PS4 rim attached in the past 6 months but I'll finally give it a try with the McLaren now.
    Many thanks!
    There is no need at all to flash your base firmware again with the McLaren rim attached.
    IF there is a new firmware for the rim available, it will automatically show you when you enter the driver menu with the McLaren attached. And IF there is a new firmware and this message pops up, you wIll be guided to the firmware process so you ONLY flash the rim firmware by itself without flashing the base firmware again. That are two totally different parts and you wont flash a rim firmware together with just a base firmware flash.
  • There is no need at all to flash your base firmware again with the McLaren rim attached.
    IF there is a new firmware for the rim available, it will automatically show you when you enter the driver menu with the McLaren attached. And IF there is a new firmware and this message pops up, you wIll be guided to the firmware process so you ONLY flash the rim firmware by itself without flashing the base firmware again. That are two totally different parts and you wont flash a rim firmware together with just a base firmware flash.
    Ah ok, thanks, even easier!

The reason I know so little about it is I hardly ever have my Fanatec setup connectod to a PC.
    I am using it on Xbox and PS4 only atm. since I have been on a Mac the last 15 years.
    I'm still purchasing parts for my upcoming monster gaming PC.
    When I have firmware to flash I usually borrow a laptop from a friend. ;)
  • Stephen FrithStephen Frith Member
    edited October 2018
    I had issues with both N and P buttons not working and Fanatec did an RMA to access the issue and a week later they sent me a NEW rim !
    All seems good atm :)
  • Omg still loving my mclaren wheel. What a Fanatectish wheel!!!
  • Hi Fanatec , how's the fixing of the Mclaren GT3 wheel going (shifting problems) . I contacted support over 3 months ago with this problem and the response was you think it's firmware and to wait for the next release. ( I found reference to this problem back in march on reddit )

Well whats happening ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You guys have the worst communication ever , i work in a service centre and the number one rule for happy customers is communication maybe you guys should try it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so pissed about this i am almost about to sell all my fanatec gear and never recommend or use ever again.

Very unhappy customer.
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Hi Fanatec , how's the fixing of the Mclaren GT3 wheel going (shifting problems) . I contacted support over 3 months ago with this problem and the response was you think it's firmware and to wait for the next release. ( I found reference to this problem back in march on reddit )

Well whats happening ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You guys have the worst communication ever , i work in a service centre and the number one rule for happy customers is communication maybe you guys should try it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so pissed about this i am almost about to sell all my fanatec gear and never recommend or use ever again.

Very unhappy customer.
    Hi David,

I'm sorry that you've had continued issues with this. It has been a complex topic to investigate.
    We will be in touch privately.
  • Can someone help me and confirm if the Mclaren GT3 RIM comes with QR adapter included?? or is it a separate 100 dollar option?? looking at the rim description it seems to be included
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    Can someone help me and confirm if the Mclaren GT3 RIM comes with QR adapter included?? or is it a separate 100 dollar option?? looking at the rim description it seems to be included
    Originally it was a separate purchase. Now it is included.
  • Can someone help me and confirm if the Mclaren GT3 RIM comes with QR adapter included?? or is it a separate 100 dollar option?? looking at the rim description it seems to be included
    Wow. Really? So those of us that had to put up with a €230 rim that was broken for months don't the quick release? That's a bit ****!! Not at all happy about that. People like me that bought the rim early should get some sort of compensation. I'm not normally a "oh my God gimme sh*t for free" type of guy but having a free €100 QR would have been nice from day one. It certainly would have eased the pain of having a rim in the box for two months until **** got fixed.
    Wow. Really? So those of us that had to put up with a €230 rim that was broken for months don't the quick release? That's a bit ****!! Not at all happy about that. People like me that bought the rim early should get some sort of compensation. I'm not normally a "oh my God gimme sh*t for free" type of guy but having a free €100 QR would have been nice from day one. It certainly would have eased the pain of having a rim in the box for two months until **** got fixed.
    ehm.. every McLaren customer was mailed with an offer to buy the CS QRA for 50% off afaik. And actually you dont get it for free, you get it also for 50% - so 230 € in total instead of the regular 280 € for that Combo.
    Did you contacted Support when your Wheel is "broken"? ...
  • David HeaveyDavid Heavey Member
    edited November 2018

Did you contacted Support when your Wheel is "broken"? ...
    Multiple times. As did many other people on this forum with the same problem.

EDIT: I didn't get any mail about 50% off anything.
  • Hi Fanatec , how's the fixing of the Mclaren GT3 wheel going (shifting problems) . I contacted support over 3 months ago with this problem and the response was you think it's firmware and to wait for the next release. ( I found reference to this problem back in march on reddit )

Very unhappy customer.
    Yeah because bitching about it in a forum is going to solve to the problem after 3 months - pick up the phone and get in touch with support.
  • Hello everyone, I am strongly considering this rim. Have the shift paddle, plastic seperation, and hub connection issues been resolved? Thanks for the feedback!
  • Hello everyone, I am strongly considering this rim. Have the shift paddle, plastic seperation, and hub connection issues been resolved? Thanks for the feedback!
    Not for me. I've gone back to using my P1 Elite.I'm can't tolerate the McLaren rim failing me anymore.
  • Thanks for the reply! Is there anyone else able to comment?
  • I’m basically trying to figure the odds this thing gives me problems.
  • I’m basically trying to figure the odds this thing gives me problems.
    I hear ya, I've got a DD1 pre-order in.  While I love the idea of the tunable clutch paddles and like the overall look of the McLaren, I don't want to buy something that is likely to have issue.