CSL Elite McLaren Steering Wheel will ship in June

Comments

• I’m basically trying to figure the odds this thing gives me problems.
    I hear ya, I've got a DD1 pre-order in.  While I love the idea of the tunable clutch paddles and like the overall look of the McLaren, I don't want to buy something that is likely to have issue.
    It's such a shame too. It's a fantastic wheel when it works. The thing is, it doesn't affect everybody that has one. I watch some streamers that use the rim without any issues at all. Very frustrating.
  • George RocheGeorge Roche Member
    edited December 2018
    In regards to the QR coming standard now,  yea pretty big let down.  Have had my wheel just barely over 2 months and I decided to hold off on the QR because it was an extra 100$.  I did get the email but it was sent to me back in Sept. less than a month of actual ownership and at the time there was little reason to get one since my wheel at the time was working as intended,  however,  recently I have noticed my rotary encoders glitching on me every so often that requires a wheelbase reboot to fix temporarily,  and my mappable analog mode for the clutch paddles works when it wants to and one single instance with no response shifting.

I have yet to remove the rim from the base because with my luck something will fall apart and since it's the holiday season and the hype around Fanatec is very high atm,  the potential scenario of waiting days even weeks just for an email reply(which is currently the issue) let alone how long I can imagine the RMA process would more than likely take has left a very sour taste in my mouth towards Fanatec support.  

Not even pairing together the scrapping of the clamp entirely that I currently have the displeasure of interacting with and making the QR standard along with 40$ off the current price(at least for the holidays).

Considering the email sent to me for 50% off the QR,  in hindsight its almost as if they knew there was a high enough probability that the majority of the rims would defect and tbh at that point if not only to save face for not only returning customers but also new ones, they really just need to provide the QR free to anyone with a valid purchase of the wheel at a date prior to the clamp being discontinued within their warranty period.

I also agree that it is a fantastic product when it works as advertised.  Adding to it the more than obvious probability that Fanatec already has a good amount of ppl that have or are getting ready to cancel Podium pre-orders and sadly tarnishing the hype they have been building around them for half the year, seems enough by itself that there is quite a large field of interested buyers and owners stretching a large enough spectrum regarding the financial investments they commit when choosing Fanatec that admittedly are all currently not satisfied with their choice to go with or stay with Fanatec past the last or first purchase they made or have yet to make. 

Podium pre-order casualties get a 350$ F1 Rim for free,  on top of the fact that Fanatec originally advertised it as very limited edition and has been sold out since day 1 only to resurrect it as a way of saying sorry for the delay/technical issue but we still value your business and hope this will keep it,  but then they can't do something similar at a third of the price for a defective product they released and otherwise left those that are Fanatec enthusiasts as well either pre-ordering the GT3 rim or at least buying it very shortly after release, just to give them a discount on the item that is now standard at no increase to the price of the wheel.  

Makes little sense to me tbh, not even needing to mention that it's the holiday season and individuals gathering info to help make a purchase decision might be more inclined to look elsewhere.  That alone should be enough for them handle the GT3 rim situation same or at the very least comparable to some degree as the Podium delay.  That's just a delay mind you, but keep in mind, we have defective already purchased products, with owners(not for all but for some i would at least imagine) possibly under the impression our purchase and continued business is held at a lower standard because of either price difference or status of the product as the Podium series is likely to be the flagship for them possibly for the foreseeable future.

Besides the fact they have gone about to fix the issue by no longer using the clamp,  the ones that are kind of being let down are the ones that already trusted the brand and knew it was going to be day 1 purchase.  It kind of puts a damper on the whole concept of continued support for the brand because the support isnt reciprocated from Fanatec for the continued growth of the company.

Sorry for the rant but my wheel was my first purchase from fanatec and a decently pricey first time investment with the other included products to which i had zero previous experience with.  My mind was helped along from the continued positive community feedback for past products and I think that Fanatec decision makers need to realize that and should want to maintain that level of quality,  products and service alike.

• Yesterady my shifter issues with the Mclaren GT3 Wheeel started. Misshifts and double shifts with the paddles (with the quick release adapter). I have contacted the support and now i am waiting for a replacement. My mclaren gt3 wheel is just a few weeks old and i am very disappointed by now. If they will replace the wheel i am afraid of another failure with the new wheel...
  • Yesterady my shifter issues with the Mclaren GT3 Wheeel started. Misshifts and double shifts with the paddles (with the quick release adapter). I have contacted the support and now i am waiting for a replacement. My mclaren gt3 wheel is just a few weeks old and i am very disappointed by now. If they will replace the wheel i am afraid of another failure with the new wheel...
    They've said multiple times it's a firmware issue. Yet no new firmware fix yet. Very frustrating. If they send another rim there's a chance of the same issue since no firmware has fixed it yet. I guess they're concentrating on fixing the direct drive wheel bases first....
    They've said multiple times it's a firmware issue. Yet no new firmware fix yet. Very frustrating. If they send another rim there's a chance of the same issue since no firmware has fixed it yet. I guess they're concentrating on fixing the direct drive wheel bases first....
    They said to me that they will repair the wheel. Furthermore I don't think it's a firmware problem because the device has worked fine before (using it 10 hours without any issues). Also i did a factory reset to check if it is software related...
  • They've told me multiple times it was firmware related. I still have the emails stating as much. They'd really want to make their minds up on it.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    It is not a firmware issue. If you contact support they will help you out.
  • David HeaveyDavid Heavey Member
    edited December 2018
    I have done. Multiple times. And each of the multiple times in the multiple emails I have from them they said it was a firmware issue. Why contact them yet again only to get the same answer from people that seemingly have no idea how their own products work?

Not having a go at you. I appreciate you're time to try and help. It's just frustrating that they're telling one side it's firmware and telling the other it's a hardware issue. They can bring out new rims and wheel bases but can't fully fix the McLaren rim. That's just awesome isn't it?
    I have done. Multiple times. And each of the multiple times in the multiple emails I have from them they said it was a firmware issue. Why contact them yet again only to get the same answer from people that seemingly have no idea how their own products work?

Not having a go at you. I appreciate you're time to try and help. It's just frustrating that they're telling one side it's firmware and telling the other it's a hardware issue. They can bring out new rims and wheel bases but can't fully fix the McLaren rim. That's just awesome isn't it?

Hey, I totally understand the frustration. When was the last time you had contacted them? I know only recently in the last couple of weeks they might have found the solution.
  • Does anyone want to buy a McLaren CSL Elite Wheel from me?

Sorry to read about the problems here but I haven't got any with mine in case people wonder.
    I'm selling because I'm going to order the new F1 wheel.
  • It is not a firmware issue. If you contact support they will help you out.

Hey, I totally understand the frustration. When was the last time you had contacted them? I know only recently in the last couple of weeks they might have found the solution.
    6 or so weeks ago.
  • David HawkeDavid Hawke Member
    edited January 2019
    Hey David Heavy i agree 100%.

They can release all this new stuff but my Mclaren GT3 wheel i bought in the beginning of August last year is still malfunctioning with the shifting issue.

They told me as well it's a firmware issue in August, then in December they asked me to send my wheel back to have a part fitted to fix the shifting problem

I have sent my wheel back in December and the returned unit has just started doing the same thing again .

I am currently in contact with support in regards to my wheel playing up after being returned for repair , I would have sent it back for a full refund but when it works it's an awesome wheel and i really want to use it.

This is extremely frustrating that after 5 months and returned for repair it still has the same problem . 

This should be top priority for Fanatec and fixed before releasing new products.

Fanatec seem to be destroying any faith people had in there products due to not being able to fix the Mclaren GT3 wheel shifting issues in a timely manner and all the delays for there new products.

I hope they can sort this soon as it's like the never ending story.

• Any updates regarding the shifter issues? I have had my wheel for 3 days and it has developed the same shifting problem (miss-shifts or double shifts). Have opened a ticket Friday evening but won't receive a reply before Monday at the earliest!

Best Regards
    Simon
    Any updates regarding the shifter issues? I have had my wheel for 3 days and it has developed the same shifting problem (miss-shifts or double shifts). Have opened a ticket Friday evening but won't receive a reply before Monday at the earliest!

Best Regards
    Simon
    Hi Simon,

Which firmware are you running? Support should be able to help you out with this issue.
  • Any updates regarding the shifter issues? I have had my wheel for 3 days and it has developed the same shifting problem (miss-shifts or double shifts). Have opened a ticket Friday evening but won't receive a reply before Monday at the earliest!

Best Regards
    Simon
    Hi Simon,

Which firmware are you running? Support should be able to help you out with this issue.
    This is what I have done so far:

Sim: iRacing

Setup when issue started:

Wheel Base Model (product ID): PS4 CSL Elite
    Steering Wheel Model (product ID): McLaren GT3
    Driver Version: 311 BETA
    Base FW Version: 476
    Base Motor FW: 18 
    Wheel FW Version: 25

Issue still exists with the following:

Driver Version: 326 BETA
    Base FW Version: 594
    Wheel FW Version: 30

Any updates regarding the shifter issues? I have had my wheel for 3 days and it has developed the same shifting problem (miss-shifts or double shifts). Have opened a ticket Friday evening but won't receive a reply before Monday at the earliest!

Best Regards
    Simon
    Hi Simon,

This is what I have done so far:

Sim: iRacing

Setup when issue started:

Base FW Version: 476

Issue still exists with the following:

Driver Version: 326 BETA
    Base FW Version: 594

I would definitely continue to communicate with support for a fix on this issue.
  • I'm resurrecting this thread as now that I have read it I'm a bit worried - just ordered one and now wondering whether it was good idea! I'm hoping that there has been no comments for the last two months because the issue has been resolved - is that right? I've been into minds about waiting for the new Formula rim or taking my chance with this - hope I've made the right decision!
  • From what I gather, the issue is not solved, but also not as widespread as reading forums would lead you to believe. Also, apparently Fanatec now has a reliable method of fixing the shifter issue should it occur. It's therefore somewhat likely that you may have to send it back for repairs, but highly unlikely that it will keep malfunctioning after that.
  • Thanks Gian-Luca. Let's hope that Fanatec will have made some design changes to negate the need for returns. I'm sure they will do, however with manufacturing lead times taken into consideration, and the slow boat from China - I suspect that current stock will still have some wheels affected by the issues. I suspect that Fanatec will be reluctant to post publicly on whether they have made design changes for fear of alienating those who purchased earlier - but that's just speculation...
  • Hi  

same problem for me  !   I ve open a ticket but no reply ! 

Wheel Base Model (product ID): PC CSW 2.5 
    Base FW Version: 474

Thanks
  • Hi

New driver 3.28  - 

My PC

Windows 10 Pro - 1809- 17763.437

CPU INTEL  I7  7700K  
    RAM 16 GO
    GPU NVIDIA  1080TI 

Wheel Base Model (product ID): PC CSW 2.5 
    Driver Version: 328
    Base FW Version: 628

ClubSport Pedals V3
    Clubsport Shifter SQ V 1.5
    ClubSport Handbrake V1.5
    ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2
    CSL Elite McLaren GT3 CSQR EU

Same problem with McLaren GT3 new driver 3.28 , missing  shifts ,double shifts or any  up shifts !

Where is the support FANATEC ?

RMA ?

I want to buy the new Formula V2  but  I think I'll wait a long time before I get an answer ?

Best Regards

• edited April 2019
    hi i have the maclaren gt3 rim for a few weeks using the latest firmware and drivers ,shifting problem came up after 2 weeks use ,contacted support they said to go back to v311 firmware  tried this 10x worse after that ,now trying to return for fix but email responce time is awfull.
    would like to add this wheel is fantastic when it works 
  • Unfortunately, I have to post this here now.
    From what I gather, the issue is not solved, but also not as widespread as reading forums would lead you to believe. Also, apparently Fanatec now has a reliable method of fixing the shifter issue should it occur.
    I have the switching problem now since October 2018 and have tried every software there is.
    Sim´s I tried Assetto Corsa + Competitione, rFactor 2, Dirt Rally and Raceroom, there is no difference.

It's therefore somewhat likely that you may have to send it back for repairs, but highly unlikely that it will keep malfunctioning after that.
    Meanwhile I have sent in my wheel now for the second time with the request this time at least to tell me what is or was broken about it.
    The first time I was told only on request that a complete circuit board had been exchanged.

For me personally, the wheel was a bad buy so far and I asked for a replacement or upgrade to another wheel.
    Now I am curious what comes from Fanatec.

The other Fanatec hardware I have, Clubsprot V3 pedals and CSL Elite Wheel Base + I don't want to give away anymore and I'm completely satisfied with it,
    but the problems with the wheel aren't funny anymore.
    hi i have the maclaren gt3 rim for a few weeks using the latest firmware and drivers ,shifting problem came up after 2 weeks use ,contacted support they said to go back to v311 firmware  tried this 10x worse after that ,now trying to return for fix but email responce time is awfull.
    would like to add this wheel is fantastic when it works 
    Hi Antony,

Support is your best option. They could be quite busy with the DD shipping and users having questions. They will respond.
  • is the GT3 wheel supposed to be limited to Low Torque mode on the DD1 with the QR adapter fitted?

• is the GT3 wheel supposed to be limited to Low Torque mode on the DD1 with the QR adapter fitted?

No. As Fanatec explains very well Only CSL wheels with plastic QR have reduced Torque. McLaren with ClubSport QR has full Torque.
  • Hi Antony,

Support is your best option. They could be quite busy with the DD shipping and users having questions. They will respond.
    thankyou ,yes support have now responded and i will be sending back the wheel for repair,i hope this will be a long term fix as i have read of people having issues after the fix ,its just a shame people having alot os hassle with what is a great wheel when all is working as it should

No. As Fanatec explains very well Only CSL wheels with plastic QR have reduced Torque. McLaren with ClubSport QR has full Torque.
    So why would my McLaren wheel be limited to low torque and how do I fix it?

So why would my McLaren wheel be limited to low torque and how do I fix it?
    ??? Dont understand. You cant fix it. If you use the McLaren with the Plastic QR then the Torque WILL be reduced to not break the plastic QR into thousand pieces with full Torque.
    If you want full Torque with the McLaren you NEED the optional ClubSport QR! 
  • I should add to my comment above, that the torque key is in, as it works fine with my F1 LM, included F1 and uni hub.