Podium Series Status Update: Shipments begin next month, first batch stock almost sold out!

Comments

• Gavin DaviesGavin Davies Member
    edited March 2019
    Has the DD2 sold out in Europe for April release? Never mind, just saw all of them are, this sucks, I just couldn’t decide in time.
  • A couple of questions, a few people who went to the event last year have stated that they felt more detail in the FFB in the DD2 over the DD1 even though it has the same motor albeit with a lower torque limit on the DD1. Are the electronics in the DD1 with regards to the handling of the FFB detail the same? Not the power, but how it handles the FFB, in OSW systems you can have different encoders which can effect FFB detail so is there a similar difference happening here? Why does the DD1 not include the kill switch when that still has enough torque to hurt someone? Does that kill switch also switch on the base or only off? As the connections seem to be the same on both bases is the kill switch/remote power button going to be sold separately for use on the DD1?
  • Lars JoschkoLars Joschko Member
    edited March 2019
    But even then, I don’t get your point... why should they make podium pedal without the good hall sensor they have already?
    Which is exactly what I said ("a Hall effect throttle would be fine").  What exactly are you disagreeing with me about?

I’m not disagreeing with you, I think I’ve understand you wrong. Maybe it was somewhere lost in translation as English is not my first language ;). I believe we’re both hoping for a great podium pedal set to replace the V3s in the future...
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Dear Fanatec,

I own a "club sport steering wheel F1 LE" and the DD1 base  pre ordered.  ( First time use Fanatec)

I hope to ask & know about when will release the "New Pedals" of the Podium Series. I have this thinking I think make sense.
    you know? I don't want to making a situation like after I buy the pedals V3 then you guys release a pedals of podium series. 

Thank you

Unfortunately I can't discuss the details or release schedule for this product, but thank you for your interest!

What connections do the DD bases use? I have my handbrake connected to my v3 pedals(rj?), and then my pedals connected to my v2 base also rj type. Do these bases require/support usb, and what type(s)? It looks like the base has 8 connections of some type(s) from the pictures, but I want to be sure I have all the right cables when my base arrives!;)
    The connections and level of Fanatec ecosystem support is the same as the CSL Elite and ClubSport bases. There are additional connectors on the back of the Podium base for the Torque Key and CAN bus, otherwise it is essentially the same. It connects to PC or console via a single USB, just like the CSL and ClubSport bases. The Podium units come with high quality cables for USB and for your pedals which need to be swapped over if you have existing equipment.

A couple of questions, a few people who went to the event last year have stated that they felt more detail in the FFB in the DD2 over the DD1 even though it has the same motor albeit with a lower torque limit on the DD1. Are the electronics in the DD1 with regards to the handling of the FFB detail the same? Not the power, but how it handles the FFB, in OSW systems you can have different encoders which can effect FFB detail so is there a similar difference happening here? Why does the DD1 not include the kill switch when that still has enough torque to hurt someone? Does that kill switch also switch on the base or only off? As the connections seem to be the same on both bases is the kill switch/remote power button going to be sold separately for use on the DD1?
    The encoder and electronics handling FFB detail are the same for all three Podium systems. The reason why the DD2 feels better than the DD1 is because it can deliver higher torque, and therefore has a wider dynamic range.

The Podium Kill Switch should be considered more of a 'remote power button' rather than an essential safety device. For the typical use case, it is more about convenience, as unlike most kill switches, it features a separate power button that can power up and turn off the base. The standard power button for the base is located around the back of the device, so the Podium Kill Switch allows you to position a power button in a more convenient position on your rig. Of course, it does add another layer of security, and can be important for professional use cases.

To answer your question "Why does the DD1 not include the kill switch when that still has enough torque to hurt someone?", well the ClubSport and CSL bases have enough torque to injure someone too, and all should be used with care. All three Podium systems come with a Torque Key that must be inserted at all times in order to unlock the full performance. A safety check happens on each startup, and you have to accept the warning message displayed on the OLED.

And yes, the Podium Kill Switch is compatible with all three Podium systems, and we intend to make this product available separately for the Podium Wheel Base DD1 and Podium Racing Wheel F1 at launch.
  • Its likely that the base won't get delivered before the weekend. It would have been nice to put it to good use in the 24h special event in iRacing :) I checked the price of faster delivery, but its over 100 euros more expensive. Well, fingers crossed for a miracle of fast delivery
  • edited March 2019

Gavin Davies said:
    A couple of questions, a few people who went to the event last year have stated that they felt more detail in the FFB in the DD2 over the DD1 even though it has the same motor albeit with a lower torque limit on the DD1. Are the electronics in the DD1 with regards to the handling of the FFB detail the same? Not the power, but how it handles the FFB, in OSW systems you can have different encoders which can effect FFB detail so is there a similar difference happening here? Why does the DD1 not include the kill switch when that still has enough torque to hurt someone? Does that kill switch also switch on the base or only off? As the connections seem to be the same on both bases is the kill switch/remote power button going to be sold separately for use on the DD1?
    The encoder and electronics handling FFB detail are the same for all three Podium systems. The reason why the DD2 feels better than the DD1 is because it can deliver higher torque, and therefore has a wider dynamic range.

The Podium Kill Switch should be considered more of a 'remote power button' rather than an essential safety device. For the typical use case, it is more about convenience, as unlike most kill switches, it features a separate power button that can power up and turn off the base. The standard power button for the base is located around the back of the device, so the Podium Kill Switch allows you to position a power button in a more convenient position on your rig. Of course, it does add another layer of security, and can be important for professional use cases.

To answer your question "Why does the DD1 not include the kill switch when that still has enough torque to hurt someone?", well the ClubSport and CSL bases have enough torque to injure someone too, and all should be used with care. All three Podium systems come with a Torque Key that must be inserted at all times in order to unlock the full performance. A safety check happens on each startup, and you have to accept the warning message displayed on the OLED.

And yes, the Podium Kill Switch is compatible with all three Podium systems, and we intend to make this product available separately for the Podium Wheel Base DD1 and Podium Racing Wheel F1 at launch.

What is the reason for not providing a kill switch with the DD1 and PS4 wheel bases? Will the kill switch be available to buy in time to be delivered with or at least close to the same time the first batch DD1 and PS4 wheel bases will be delivered? How much will the kill switches sell for? You mention that the CSW and CSL wheel bases don't come with a kill switch but they are not even close to the same strength of wheel bases.

• Its likely that the base won't get delivered before the weekend. It would have been nice to put it to good use in the 24h special event in iRacing :) I checked the price of faster delivery, but its over 100 euros more expensive. Well, fingers crossed for a miracle of fast delivery

I finally pulled the trigger on a preorder of the DD1 and managed to get the first shipment (US). Maybe if we sell this batch out they’ll start shipping as soon as possible : ). It suckkkkssss having 1k tied up in something you won’t have for a month, but the preorder did bring me to peak excitement.
  • Gavin DaviesGavin Davies Member
    edited March 2019
    “The encoder and electronics handling FFB detail are the same for all three Podium systems. The reason why the DD2 feels better than the DD1 is because it can deliver higher torque, and therefore has a wider dynamic range.

And yes, the Podium Kill Switch is compatible with all three Podium systems, and we intend to make this product available separately for the Podium Wheel Base DD1 and Podium Racing Wheel F1 at launch.”

Don’t fully understand that, if the motor and electronics are the same, and you set the FFB level to the same which people are going to do no matter how much the base can do, how can it feel any different unless you are not just limiting the holding and peak torque but are slowing the reaction time of the motor in firmware also or the resolution of the FFB or something similar, it should feel identical.
  • Don’t fully understand that, if the motor and electronics are the same, and you set the FFB level to the same which people are going to do no matter how much the base can do, how can it feel any different unless you are not just limiting the holding and peak torque but are slowing the reaction time of the motor in firmware also or the resolution of the FFB or something similar, it should feel identical.

This is how I understand the differences. The DD1 and DD2 use the same motor. The motor is capable of pushing out the amount of torque promised for the DD2, but will be software limited on the DD1 to match the promised performance for that base. The software limitation of torque cannot be adjusted to the level of the DD2 through the wheel or software settings, even if the motor supports the DD2 performance level. Fanatec has placed a limit to offer 2 different SKUs, and they’ll eventually use different motors... one less capable for the DD1. It’s great that we’re getting the better motor in the DD1, for now. The difference in “reaction time” is based on the difference in total torque output between the two wheel bases. The DD2 has a higher “reaction time” because it has a wider range of torque available. If you have up to 25Nm of force, their is more opportunity for granularity (1-25) vs (1-20). Simply, and assuming that the torque can only adjust up and down by 1Nm, the DD2 will have more options within a game to adjust the torque based on condition (25 options compared to 20 options) *I know these torque numbers aren’t exact, but I was too lazy to look them up from my phone.
  • edited March 2019
    Its likely that the base won't get delivered before the weekend. It would have been nice to put it to good use in the 24h special event in iRacing :) I checked the price of faster delivery, but its over 100 euros more expensive. Well, fingers crossed for a miracle of fast delivery

I finally pulled the trigger on a preorder of the DD1 and managed to get the first shipment (US). Maybe if we sell this batch out they’ll start shipping as soon as possible : ). It suckkkkssss having 1k tied up in something you won’t have for a month, but the preorder did bring me to peak excitement. 

I ordered July 2018 mate ^^ ;)

I ordered July 2018 mate ^^ ;)
    For sure! I know you guys are dying. It's great they gave out the/a rim for free, but the wait must be excruciating. Do you know if they send these out to reviewers before the do the official release? Some review videos might tide me over.
  • Don’t fully understand that, if the motor and electronics are the same, and you set the FFB level to the same which people are going to do no matter how much the base can do, how can it feel any different unless you are not just limiting the holding and peak torque but are slowing the reaction time of the motor in firmware also or the resolution of the FFB or something similar, it should feel identical.

This is how I understand the differences. The DD1 and DD2 use the same motor. The motor is capable of pushing out the amount of torque promised for the DD2, but will be software limited on the DD1 to match the promised performance for that base. The software limitation of torque cannot be adjusted to the level of the DD2 through the wheel or software settings, even if the motor supports the DD2 performance level. Fanatec has placed a limit to offer 2 different SKUs, and they’ll eventually use different motors... one less capable for the DD1. It’s great that we’re getting the better motor in the DD1, for now. The difference in “reaction time” is based on the difference in total torque output between the two wheel bases. The DD2 has a higher “reaction time” because it has a wider range of torque available. If you have up to 25Nm of force, their is more opportunity for granularity (1-25) vs (1-20). Simply, and assuming that the torque can only adjust up and down by 1Nm, the DD2 will have more options within a game to adjust the torque based on condition (25 options compared to 20 options) *I know these torque numbers aren’t exact, but I was too lazy to look them up from my phone.

I can’t say I know a lot about these things but I don’t think the motor electronics are picking the strength of the FBB at any given moment based on 1nm steps, the fact that there is at least 100 steps to choose from when the user sets the strength for example, and I don’t think it’s that simple, maybe I’m wrong but that just seems very strange. I feel like there is something different, whether it’s electronics (Dom said no) or firmware settings limiting it in other ways that are causing the difference, maybe it’s very small, but the fact that some people noticed it, which I thought might have been placebo but now Dom has confirmed that the DD2 does feel better I guess I’ll be ordering the DD2 but I’m sure a heck of a lot of people out there are under the impression I they will feel identical when it seems that isn’t the case.

I can’t say I know a lot about these things but I don’t think the motor electronics are picking the strength of the FBB at any given moment based on 1nm steps, the fact that there is at least 100 steps to choose from when the user sets the strength for example, and I don’t think it’s that simple, maybe I’m wrong but that just seems very strange. I feel like there is something different, whether it’s electronics (Dom said no) or firmware settings limiting it in other ways that are causing the difference, maybe it’s very small, but the fact that some people noticed it, which I thought might have been placebo but now Dom has confirmed that the DD2 does feel better I guess I’ll be ordering the DD2 but I’m sure a heck of a lot of people out there are under the impression I they will feel identical when it seems that isn’t the case.
    You are correct, it won't actually move in 1Nm increments, that's why I said, "there is more opportunity for granularity (1-25) vs (1-20).Simply, and assuming that the torque can only adjust up and down by 1Nm," If you have 10 beans and you pull 9 out, you have pulled out 90% of the beans. If you have 100 beans and you pull out 92, you have pulled out 92% of the beans. Having the greater range allowed me to have a more specific value. I could not pull out 92% of the beans from my pile of 10.

If I'm understanding this correctly, and I'm making assumptions from a single sentence, if you set both bases to 15Nm max they would feel the same. When they are set at their max, you'd notice a difference mentioned above.  The firmware should only be limiting max torque, which makes complete sense as they'll be changing the motors in the DD1 soon. I don't think there's any reason for them to hobble the "reaction time" through the firmware to encourage upgrade. You are already getting more torque and a 5 year warranty for an extra $500 with the DD2. 
  • Brian DraughnBrian Draughn Member
    edited March 2019
    Don’t fully understand that, if the motor and electronics are the same, and you set the FFB level to the same which people are going to do no matter how much the base can do, how can it feel any different unless you are not just limiting the holding and peak torque but are slowing the reaction time of the motor in firmware also or the resolution of the FFB or something similar, it should feel identical.

You are correct, it won't actually move in 1Nm increments, that's why I said, "there is more opportunity for granularity (1-25) vs (1-20).Simply, and assuming that the torque can only adjust up and down by 1Nm," If you have 10 beans and you pull 9 out, you have pulled out 90% of the beans. If you have 100 beans and you pull out 92, you have pulled out 92% of the beans. Having the greater range allowed me to have a more specific value. I could not pull out 92% of the beans from my pile of 10.

If I'm understanding this correctly, and I'm making assumptions from a single sentence, if you set both bases to 15Nm max they would feel the same. When they are set at their max, you'd notice a difference mentioned above.  The firmware should only be limiting max torque, which makes complete sense as they'll be changing the motors in the DD1 soon. I don't think there's any reason for them to hobble the "reaction time" through the firmware to encourage upgrade. You are already getting more torque and a 5 year warranty for an extra $500 with the DD2. 
    I should probably refer to it as a range. Maybe this is more helpful. Dom said, "is because it can deliver higher torque, and therefore has a wider dynamic range."  

Here's the definition of dynamic range, "the ratio of the strongest to the weakest sound intensity that can be transmitted or reproduced by an audio or broadcasting system"
    What is the reason for not providing a kill switch with the DD1 and PS4 wheel bases? Will the kill switch be available to buy in time to be delivered with or at least close to the same time the first batch DD1 and PS4 wheel bases will be delivered? How much will the kill switches sell for? You mention that the CSW and CSL wheel bases don't come with a kill switch but they are not even close to the same strength of wheel bases.

Hi Nathen, the reason for not including this device in the DD1 and PS4 units is to be able to offer them at a lower price. Yes, the intention is to have the optional P KS available to buy within the same timeframe as the launch of the direct drive systems. I can't reveal the pricing at this time, but the product page will launch soon with much more information. My mention of the CSL and ClubSport bases was in response to Gavin's comment that the DD1 was strong enough to cause injury. The CSL and ClubSport bases are also strong enough to cause injury, but you are correct that they are of a lower strength. Bear in mind that the Torque Key is supplied with all three Podium systems, and must be inserted at all times in order to unlock the full performance. Without this key, the performance of the base is much closer to the ClubSport torque output. If you are concerned about the dangers of running Podium base at higher than ClubSport performance, then I recommend that you do not use the Torque Key. You will still get some of the benefits of direct drive (in terms of precision and detail).

It really depends on the sim in question, and how it provides its FFB signal. In order to make the DD1 and DD2 perform at the same level of torque, the DD2 would need to be 'turned down', and that can be done in more than one way. It can be done through the Tuning Menu, or it can done in the sim. For a fair test, you would want to keep both bases at max, so that they can use the full potential of their dynamic range, and then you try to match the DD2 to the DD1 by turning it down in the sim. In iRacing, there are two sliders for scaling the force relative to a torque target. Playing with these two sliders can result in general torque output that feels the same (e.g. in a steady-state corner) on a DD1 and a DD2, but allows the DD2 to still make use of its performance headroom (e.g. during an output spike like hitting a sausage kerb). Other sims like AC do not seem to scale linearly on the main FFB slider output, and so turning it down to try to match a more powerful motor against a weaker one doesn't result in them feeling exactly the same.

That's a long-winded way of saying that yes, it is only the extra torque that makes the DD2 feel better, and if people thought it felt better when they tried them at events, what I've described above will have contributed to this. No doubt there is a placebo effect as well, but the DD2 does genuinely feel better when it is using its full range. Bear in mind that at the Sim Expo, while we had controlled tests on the test bench, but we also had a booth showcasing ACC, and this was set up to demonstrate the differences between the DD1 and DD2, not to make them perform the same, so the feedback you've heard is probably a mix of these things.
  • OK thanks both, I think I have a grip on it now, looks like I’ll be getting a DD2, just wish I’d known this earlier so I didn’t miss the release date.
  • 97% of users will not ride the podium at full power. That relativizes this discussion.

Do you have to plug in the security dongle every time you start the podium again if you want to get more power?
  • I assume you can just leave the key in if you always want full power.
  • edited March 2019
    Hi Nathen, the reason for not including this device in the DD1 and PS4 units is to be able to offer them at a lower price. Yes, the intention is to have the optional P KS available to buy within the same timeframe as the launch of the direct drive systems. I can't reveal the pricing at this time, but the product page will launch soon with much more information. My mention of the CSL and ClubSport bases was in response to Gavin's comment that the DD1 was strong enough to cause injury. The CSL and ClubSport bases are also strong enough to cause injury, but you are correct that they are of a lower strength. Bear in mind that the Torque Key is supplied with all three Podium systems, and must be inserted at all times in order to unlock the full performance. Without this key, the performance of the base is much closer to the ClubSport torque output. If you are concerned about the dangers of running Podium base at higher than ClubSport performance, then I recommend that you do not use the Torque Key. You will still get some of the benefits of direct drive (in terms of precision and detail).

What are torque key and kill switch look like ?
    97% of users will not ride the podium at full power. That relativizes this discussion.

Do you have to plug in the security dongle every time you start the podium again if you want to get more power?
    No, the key can stay in the connector at the back of the base. The base checks for the key on each startup, and you have to accept the warning message displayed on the OLED (a single button press).

What are torque key and kill switch look like ?
    The Torque Key is a small 'dongle' with an RJ12 connector. You'll see many images of the Kill Switch when we launch the product page (soon!). It is a custom design, but easily recognisable as an 'emergency stop' button.
  • OK thanks both, I think I have a grip on it now, looks like I’ll be getting a DD2, just wish I’d known this earlier so I didn’t miss the release date.
    That was a good question and we got some good details from Fanatec because of it.
    That was a good question and we got some good details from Fanatec because of it.
    From everything I've read about it now.  It seems like wheel strength is almost like a signal to noise ratio for audio gear.  Getting good speakers and a good amplifier can allow you turn very loud, or very quiet, but because the noise and signal are so separated out you can get the fine detail.

When the DD1 got delayed I used by store credit to grab a CSWv2.5 to upgrade my old porsche GT3 wheel me over until the DD bases shipped.  The analogy to audio was immediately apparent to as the headroom the CSWv2.5 provided was a huge jump up from the GT3.

I'm sure just like in Audio there is a point of diminishing returns.
  • got my DD for PS4 ordered and started to think about my mounting options.  Can someone from Fanatec opine on on whether the 3 bottom mounting points are totally sufficient without the need for any side bracing?  Thanks in advance.
  • Hi Where can I find dimensions of the power supply and the length of cable between the base and power supply. I’m in the middle of building a new rig for when I get my DD1 but I need to know the dimensions, I’ve looked on the product page but can’t find it. Also will the side mount kit for the wheel base be available when DD is released. I would appreciate if you could answer my question even if it’s to tell me you don’t know or can’t tell me. I feel like all my questions get ignored. Thanks
  • Baj DhaddaBaj Dhadda Member
    edited March 2019

Thanks for the link, I already found the template but I was after the dimensions of the power supply
  • at 3.5 min you can see the power supply. It's similar to the CSL I think.

• Henri R said:
    Hi Thomas, I would like to place an order on the PS4 DD bundle but I want to make sure I could attach the direct drive wheel base to my RS1 seat. It would be a bummer if not... Secondly I want to order an additional wheel with the bundle for rally games. What wheel can I buy to play rally on the SP4 with this direct drive base? I just want to make sure it will be compatible all the way with another Fanatec wheel on PS4 with quick release and full power of DD? Or should I wait for you to release new wheels in the future? I must say playing rally games with a F1 wheel.... Thanks. I will place my order as soon as I get your answer.
    The DD Bases use the same 3 mounting hole pattern as the CSW (without angle bracket) so yes, the RS1 generally is compatible as that rig has holes for Fanatec bases. There is also a drilling template on the download page of the DD which you can print 1:1 to have a look if everything will work as the DD Bases are a lot larger than the CSW and CSL Bases. Regarding steering wheel: EVERY steering wheel is compatible on PS4 with the DD1 Racing Wheel for PS4. Torque is ONLY limited on all kind of CSL wheels with the Plastic Semi-Quick-Release.
    This is not entirely true, on the first RS1 wheel supports (mine is from january 2015), there's no drilling for the CSL bases. I'm in this case and asked Rseat Europe how to get the new wheel support so i can attach correctly my CSL Elite for PS4 base and, in the future, the DD1 for PS4.

You wan't drill the old support as you would be in the weldings...
    If you download the CSW V2.5 drilling hole pattern sheet, you'll see if your RS1 base plate holder has the right holes. If not, drill them or order a new base plate holder. I did the second thing for myself, because I've got more than one base.
  • The base checks for the key on each startup, and you have to accept the warning message displayed on the OLED (a single button press).
    Oh really? Even if it's just a single button press, but that would be definitively an annoying thing for me. Like the health warning in a VR headset.
    I hope there will be an option to turn this safety warning off. At least as a hidden option.
  • where is DD power button? where is "a single button"?

i cannot find it on front ;