Podium Series Status Update: Shipments begin next month, first batch stock almost sold out!

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Dominic Brennan said: The Podium Kill Switch product page will go live soon. It is unlikely that the Torque Key or power supply will have images on the site.
    Will it launch and allow order before 30th April ? Coz I preordered PS4 DD1 , want ship it together
  • I think i read the podium button plate is slated a release late this year. Also I believe the side mounts will be available at launch too.
  • Thanks Dominic
  • Cant wait to try the DD Podium Series PS4/PC  8-}
  • Florian LichtFlorian Licht Member
    edited March 2019
    Someone asked this before, but no answer yet. What happend to this Porsche Wheel? And what will happen with the new podium adapter? there is no word about all this and nothing announced yet? Was pretty hyped about this new buttonplate as well...
    greetings

• Someone asked this before, but no answer yet. What happend to this Porsche Wheel? And what will happen with the new podium adapter? there is no word about all this and nothing announced yet? Was pretty hyped about this new buttonplate as well...
    greetings

I believe the Porsche Wheel and Button Plate will be released later in the year, after the initial launch of the Podium Series.
  • edited March 2019
    Hi Dominic

I have some questions; Some products will be available when.

1- When is the Killswitch going on sale? What is the estimated price.(Because I will order with DD1 servo motor.)

2- I have to wait 2.5 months if I pre-order. What's the benefit to me?

3- What happens if the servo motor breaks down after 2 years?

4- I have the Fanatec Rennsport V2 Cockpit. When are the yellow holders in the picture going on sale?

Thank you.
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Hi Dominic

I have some questions; Some products will be available when.

1- When is the Killswitch going on sale? What is the estimated price.(Because I will order with DD1 servo motor.)

2- I have to wait 2.5 months if I pre-order. What's the benefit to me?

3- What happens if the servo motor breaks down after 2 years?

4- I have the Fanatec Rennsport V2 Cockpit. When are the yellow holders in the picture going on sale?

Thank you.
    Hi Coskun.

1. The Podium Kill Switch is planned to launch at the end of April. I can't give you the price at this time - this will be shown on the product page, which will go live soon.

2. The first batch of systems is almost sold out in all regions. It is possible that the second batch could sell out too, so pre-ordering secures your place on the next shipment.

3. If your product has a fault beyond the warranty period, then we would repair your system for a fee. Bear in mind that the DD2 comes with a 5 year warranty, and the DD1 can be upgraded to a 3 or 5 year warranty.

4. These are called Podium Mounting Brackets, and are also planned to launch at the end of April. The product page will go live soon.
  • Throughout the blogs I keep seeing Dominic and Thomas both say things will happen “very soon” but weeks and months pass with little to no info. What time frame does “very soon” mean?
  • Throughout the blogs I keep seeing Dominic and Thomas both say things will happen “very soon” but weeks and months pass with little to no info. What time frame does “very soon” mean?
    Maybe "Doctor Who" can answer that question..  :):))
  • Josh OskamJosh Oskam Member
    edited March 2019
    What I'd really like is for official information and pricing on things like the Podium Mounts to be made available NOW so people who pre-ordered Podium wheel bases (then waited months for them) can choose the best options for mounting before their new wheel base arrives. I don't want to know about this stuff on April 30th when my wheel base has already shipped. I want to know in advance so I can get all the bits I need at the same time.

It really seems a bit silly for 'early adopters' to be in the dark about such stuff. Who wants to rebuild their rig for the new wheel base, only to find out you have to do it all again later?

If Fanatec want good user reviews from the first people to take delivery of their new premium product range, they really should be doing everything they can to ensure users can start their 'Podium Wheelbase Experience' with the optimal equipment needed to get the optimal and most enjoyable results!
  • I got a question about DD1 vs DD2 (i have ordered mine already)

As i prefer to have lower feedback. Im currently running a g29 which is not much feedback xD

So i like this low feedback because it allows me to play with the grip of the car ultimately making me quicker.

So when i get my DD1 wheel, and i choose to turn down the strength of the wheel. Do that affect the feeling and the fidility of the wheel?
    Do i have to run full torque in order to get the best feeling and information from the wheel?
    And if i would have ordered a dd2 wheel and turend down the FFB, would that make any difference in fidility compared to DD1?

So what im asking i guess is: Is the DD2 still better than the DD1 if im gonna turn down the force feedback on them anyway?
  • I don't have an official answer or any experience with direct drive wheels, but the way I see it, is you are thinking about the wheel as the level or weight of turning resistance. You can turn this down, but still receive great feedback from running over ripple strips, etc. You might lose some of the tire over-driven / understeer feedback with little resistance in the wheel though.

The two main reasons I ordered the DD2 are for the feedback response time/rotational acceleration and because I want that heavy turning feeling for some cars, but still fidelity in the feedback while experiencing those heavy turns. My existing wheel T300 is OK for the price point, but its already sitting on feedback redline with fans blaring just to get some weight in the wheel when cornering - so I lose all the detail of the rest of the feedback.
  • Hi Dominic :) 

You said 20mm screw should be fine but you wouldn't go deeper, are you sure at 100% 

I ask this because I have to order the parts and screws to mount my DD1 on my rig and I don't want to make a mistake on my purchase or buy all lenght screws.

There is any chance to be delivered before end of April if the units are delivered to Fanatec before it ?

Thx for your answers 
  • There is any chance to be delivered before end of April if the units are delivered to Fanatec before it ?

Thx for your answers 
    Even one day earlier delivery day would help to get the base in time for weekend \m/ Maybe i could freeze my self to avoid this waiting :-?
  • edited March 2019
    Completely useless post although.....(hopefully) many of us feel the same excitement

I will call her DieDie ;) 

• Brian, if it makes you feel better... I now pronouce you 'Man & Sim'.  :x
  • It seems that Olli has a couple of them already :) https://areena.yle.fi/1-4559007?seek=1162 (News in finnish national television)
  • edited March 2019
    they just ulpoad a video about the dd. but somehow i cant post the link here 

• edited March 2019
    Podium Kill Switch -

• Will podium software be available in multiple languages?
  • G AG A Member
    Watching new Fanatec video on yutube  .

There is no mention of Project Cars or any logos shown in the presentation - could I ask if the game  will be supported ?
  • Watching new Fanatec video on yutube  .

There is no mention of Project Cars or any logos shown in the presentation - could I ask if the game  will be supported ?
    Project CARS is End-of-Life and wont get any game patch. However, in Project Cars you have the possibility to create a custom wheel profile. You just have to map every button for yourself.
    The Podium DDs also come with a CSW v2.5 compatibility mode. In this mode the Podium DD is recognized as a CSW v2.5 and therefore is supported by EVERY game which actually supports the CSW v2.5 ;-) This mode has no disadvantages, same torque output and same features like in the normal PC mode.
  • edited April 2019

Project CARS is End-of-Life and wont get any game patch. However, in Project Cars you have the possibility to create a custom wheel profile. You just have to map every button for yourself.
    The Podium DDs also come with a CSW v2.5 compatibility mode. In this mode the Podium DD is recognized as a CSW v2.5 and therefore is supported by EVERY game which actually supports the CSW v2.5 ;-) This mode has no disadvantages, same torque output and same features like in the normal PC mode.
    Hi Maurice,

just to ask. SRG says that the holding torque for DD2 is 20Nm and a total peak of 25Nm but if i'm not wrong the previous measure for holding torque on DD2 was 18Nm.

r&d have managed to increase sustained torque adding 2 more nm ?

For me this 2nm+ is the icing on the cake :).

thank you.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    edited April 2019

Great news about the compatibility option. Nice feature.
    edited April 2019
    I got a question about DD1 vs DD2 (i have ordered mine already)

As i prefer to have lower feedback. Im currently running a g29 which is not much feedback xD

So i like this low feedback because it allows me to play with the grip of the car ultimately making me quicker.

So when i get my DD1 wheel, and i choose to turn down the strength of the wheel. Do that affect the feeling and the fidility of the wheel?
    Do i have to run full torque in order to get the best feeling and information from the wheel?
    And if i would have ordered a dd2 wheel and turend down the FFB, would that make any difference in fidility compared to DD1?

So what im asking i guess is: Is the DD2 still better than the DD1 if im gonna turn down the force feedback on them anyway?
    To be honest, if you're only using very low values to compare the two, you will not be able to feel a difference. As you add more power, the difference starts to become apparent. However, it depends on a balance between in-game and Tuning Menu settings. For example, if you use identical FF values in the Tuning Menu for both bases, and run lower in-game forces for the DD2 to 'equalise' the strength, you could potentially feel more fidelity in the DD2, as you are using a wider dynamic range. It's also worth considering that if you run the FF at max (as is commonly done with the CSL and ClubSport bases) and run the in-game settings very low, this is not necessarily a good idea, because the sliders for FFB can be non-linear (some games were never designed for such powerful wheel bases). This will likely improve in future as more developers use our Podium Series as a reference DD system and make optimisations to their FFB code. It would be great if every game could work the same in terms of how it manages a FFB signal based on the torque of each base, but that is not the case today.

Short version: If you are only planning to run at <5Nm, then you might want to consider the ClubSport V2.5 base instead. Our CSL bases are already a dramatic performance jump above your G29. With a Podium Series base, you are making an enormous step to a performance level that was only available in multi-million dollar simulators a few years ago.

But consider that using a medium or high strength on a direct drive system is quite a different experience to using high strength on a typical consumer grade wheel base. To use an audio analogy, listening to music at a high decibel level on a cheap pair of speakers is far more irritating than listening to music at exactly the same decibel level through high-end speakers. In other words, once you experience the quality of the strength, you might want to run much higher values than you imagined.

Hi Dominic :) 

You said 20mm screw should be fine but you wouldn't go deeper, are you sure at 100% 

I ask this because I have to order the parts and screws to mount my DD1 on my rig and I don't want to make a mistake on my purchase or buy all lenght screws.

There is any chance to be delivered before end of April if the units are delivered to Fanatec before it ?

Thx for your answers 
    Can confirm, 20mm is fine for the side-mount M8 screws. 12mm for the bottom mounted M6. I would prefer to not say anything about the delivery schedules.

leon liu said:
    Will podium software be available in multiple languages?
    Not immediately, but this is planned.

Hi Maurice,

just to ask. SRG says that the holding torque for DD2 is 20Nm and a total peak of 25Nm but if i'm not wrong the previous measure for holding torque on DD2 was 18Nm.

r&d have managed to increase sustained torque adding 2 more nm ?

For me this 2nm+ is the icing on the cake :).

thank you.
    This is a result of finalised measurements on the production units. The previous 18Nm value was conservative.
  • Dominic that was a superb answer to one of the best questions asked here so far  (from Christoffer). It's great to have you here.
  • No mention of GT sport either for receiving support? Can we expect to get support for this game for this wheel? Or will it be in a comparability mode for this game? If so what kind of mode will that be?
    No mention of GT sport either for receiving support? Can we expect to get support for this game for this wheel? Or will it be in a comparability mode for this game? If so what kind of mode will that be?
    GT Sport works with the Podium Racing Wheel F1 in exactly the same way as it does with the CSL Elite WB+ / Racing Wheel, but at dramatically higher performance. No compatibility mode, it just works.