iRacing (PC) - Fanatec Recommended Settings

Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
edited August 2021 in iRacing
General Notes:
- The settings below are considered to be reasonable baseline values for iRacing (PC). They might not suit all tastes and driving styles, but they are a good starting point. Bear in mind that iRacing uses a dynamic physics engine covering a broad range of cars and tracks, meaning that these settings might not be 'optimal' for every possible driving scenario.

- The values below refer to standard iRacing FFB settings. iRFFB is an interesting alternative that can add more detail at the expense of a small increase in latency; more information can be found on the iRFFB thread on the iRacing forum: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3552959.page

- If you use the 'auto' button, iRacing will try to maximise the use of the torque target, but this is not recommended unless you only use one car (if you use the same 'auto' FFB on all cars, every car will output the same steering torque, and you will lose some of the feeling of variety between car types).

- It is important to keep an eye on the "FPS/Network Display box" that contains a clipping meter, indicated by "F". This shows if the FFB signal is at maximum even though the demanded force from the physics is higher (clipping). It is recommended to set the in-game strength to a value that makes the F bar appear rarely in the red.

- Some cars have significantly heavier and 'faster' force feedback than others (e.g. the Radical SR8) and are therefore more prone to oscillation at speed. For direct drive wheel bases, using higher NDP, NFR, and (to some extent) NIN values will help to reduce this characteristic, or for any wheel base you can enable Speed Sensitive Damping in the Dynamic FFB options in FanaLab.

- Please ensure you are using the latest firmware for all Fanatec devices.

Podium Wheel Base DD1 / Podium Racing Wheel F1® PS4™
Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 1080 (shown as 108 on some displays)
FF 90
FFS Lin
NDP 16
NFR 2
NIN 8
INT 3
FEI 100
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BLI User Preference
SHO 100
BRF User Preference

*SPR and DPR values have no effect by default. They can be enabled through the app.ini, but this is not recommended.

In-Game Settings:
Wheel Range and Map Range: Automatically determined by calibration wizard
Use Linear Mode: Checked
Reduce force when parked: Checked
Strength: 6.0**
Wheel force: 20Nm
Damping 0%
Min Force 0.0%

**This is the slider above the 'Wheel Force' setting. If it is showing 'Max Force' values, you can click the text to switch to 'Strength' values. 6.0 is a suggested starting value, but it is highly dependent on the car selected. Therefore it is recommended to make your own adjustments to this value for every car by checking the box 'Use custom controls for this car', while paying attention to the clipping meter described above.

Podium Wheel Base DD2
Tuning Menu Settings:
FF 90
FFS Lin
NDP 16
NFR 2
NIN 8
INT 3
FEI 100
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BLI User Preference
SHO 100
BRF User Preference

*SPR and DPR values have no effect by default. They can be enabled through the app.ini, but this is not recommended.

In-Game Settings:
Strength: 6.0**
Wheel force: 25Nm
Damping 0%
Min Force 0.0%

**This is the slider above the 'Wheel Force' setting. If it is showing 'Max Force' values, you can click the text to switch to 'Strength' values. 6.0 is a suggested starting value, but it is highly dependent on the car selected. Therefore it is recommended to make your own adjustments to this value for every car by checking the box 'Use custom controls for this car', while paying attention to the clipping meter described above.

ClubSport Wheel Base V2
Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 900
FF 100
SHO 100
BLI User Preference
DRI 002
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BRF User Preference

In-Game Settings:
Use Linear Mode: Unchecked
Strength: 8.5**
Wheel force: 7Nm
Damping 0%
Min Force 0.0%

**This is the slider above the 'Wheel Force' setting. If it is showing 'Max Force' values, you can click the text to switch to 'Strength' values. 8.5 is a suggested starting value, but it is highly dependent on the car selected. Therefore it is recommended to make your own adjustments to this value for every car by checking the box 'Use custom controls for this car', while paying attention to the clipping meter described above.

ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5
Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 900
FF 100
SHO 100
BLI User Preference
DRI -02
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BRF User Preference
FEI 100

In-Game Settings:
Wheel force: 8Nm
Damping 0%
Min Force 0.0%

**This is the slider above the 'Wheel Force' setting. If it is showing 'Max Force' values, you can click the text to switch to 'Strength' values. 8.5 is a suggested starting value, but it is highly dependent on the car selected. Therefore it is recommended to make your own adjustments to this value for every car by checking the box 'Use custom controls for this car', while paying attention to the clipping meter described above.

CSL Elite Wheel Base
Tuning Menu Settings:
FF 100
SHO 100
BLI User Preference
DRI 003
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BRF User Preference
FEI 100

In-Game Settings:
Wheel force: 6Nm
Damping 0%
Min Force 0.0%

CSL Elite Wheel Base V1.1 / CSL Elite Wheel Base + / CSL Elite Racing Wheel PS4™
Tuning Menu Settings:
FF 100
SHO 100
BLI User Preference
DRI -03
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BRF User Preference
FEI 100

In-Game Settings:
Wheel force: 6Nm
Damping 0%
Min Force 0.0%

CSL DD
(Compatibility Mode recommended)
Tuning Menu Settings:
FF 100
FFS Peak
NDP 15
NFR Off
NIN Off
INT 6
FEI 100
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BLI User Preference
SHO 100
BRF User Preference

In-Game Settings:
Wheel force: 5 Nm (standard power supply) or 8 Nm (Boost Kit 180)
Damping 0%
Min Force 0.0%

Comments

• Why there are no FEI settings for CSW and CSL bases?
  • edited April 2019
    Just tested the recommended settings for the DD2 with a Mercedes AMG GT3 on Daytona Road Course.
    The rcommended settings are way to strong in my opinion. While normal driving I already had up to 20 Nm. I reduced FF to 60 and that's way better.
  • Just tested the recommended settings for the DD2 with a Mercedes AMG GT3 on Daytona Road Course.
    The rcommended settings are way to strong in my opinion. While normal driving I already had up to 20 Nm. I reduced FF to 60 and that's way better.
    by lowering FF in the tuning menu you should also update the settings in iRacing for Wheel force down to 15Nm as thats your new max Peak Torque Output with that FF value.

• edited April 2019
    using podium dd1 ps4 here, and i don't understand these setting either, 100 FF in tuning menu along with strength 6.0 and wheel force 20nm requires incredible hulk to steer my porsche 911 rsr
  • using podium dd1 ps4 here, and i don't understand these setting either, 100 FF in tuning menu along with strength 6.0 and wheel force 20nm requires incredible hulk to steer my porsche 911 rsr
    Agreed. Almost took my arms off
  • using podium dd1 ps4 here, and i don't understand these setting either, 100 FF in tuning menu along with strength 6.0 and wheel force 20nm requires incredible hulk to steer my porsche 911 rsr
    Its really not that heavy that a Strength value of 6.0 can rip your arm off, its far away from those scenarios.
    The 6.0 Strenght value needs to be adjusted per car as written in the recommended settings. 6.0 is a good starting point, if its too much for you then lower that slider.
    I run FF100 on my DD2 together with Wheel Force 25Nm and Wheel Strength 5.0 on the Porsche 911 RSR and it feels perfectly fine with Peaks of around 10Nm.
  • BTW guys there is a flag in the .ini file to convert the FFB strength to actual NM.  IMHO this gives you a little more control over how you map them (it really doesn't, but I like that I can calculate the ratio of FFB).

I'm running my base at like 65-70nm in iRacing with 100ffbon the wheel.  This gives me something like 0.35:1 strength which still uses a lot of the motor driving GT3 cars.
  • Just tested the recommended settings for the DD2 with a Mercedes AMG GT3 on Daytona Road Course.
    I Just changed the in game strength car to car and check the save to this car at the bottom left I use to use automatic but this is a new day with this DD Game Changer 4 REAL 
  • using the recommended settings on the DD2 for PC and driving the skip barber, 100 strength in the wheel, 6 in iracing and 25nm set in iracing is way too strong.  i turned ffb in iracing (in the graphics black box) to 2.3 and it feels much better but it seems weird that i almost have the thing on zero.
  • CSWv2 user here:

I found in the firmware thread that DRI 003 is the neutral setting for this parameter. For the latest FW at least.

Why do you guys recommend DRI 002 for iR here? Wouldnt that mean a change of the pure iR signals by the wheelbase?

Thanks in advance.  
  • DRI adds resistance to turning.  It helps dampen out iracings notchy signal which is very much needed one way or the other.  Natural damper and friction might work better in a DD wheel though i would imagine.
  • Afaik DRI adds and substracts, with 003 being the neutral setting. Please correct me if Im wrong.

Since the last FW I really like DRI 003. With 002 the wheel felt a little lighter which made it a bit easier to be at the apex early, agreed. Im wondering if I want this effect as Im a fan of getting the real thing into my wrists, be it harder to drive or not.  
  • Paul WalkerPaul Walker Member
    edited May 2019
    using the recommended settings on the DD2 for PC and driving the skip barber, 100 strength in the wheel, 6 in iracing and 25nm set in iracing is way too strong.  i turned ffb in iracing (in the graphics black box) to 2.3 and it feels much better but it seems weird that i almost have the thing on zero.

I had a blast in the Skippy last night and eventually after some tweaking, I had to set to 4.8 in iRacing (and 25Nm) keeping 100 set in the wheel. This feels quite real. I have driven a formula ford around Stowe at Silverstone which is a very similar car albeit only a 1600cc vs 2000cc and can tell you that IRL the force feels between 5.5 and 6 in comparison, but I don't like it that strong personally, hence I settled on 4.8. I have the Universal hub with the small round wheel BTW, the force feels very different with a bigger wheel. What wheel do you use?

Its really not that heavy that a Strength value of 6.0 can rip your arm off, its far away from those scenarios.
    The 6.0 Strenght value needs to be adjusted per car as written in the recommended settings. 6.0 is a good starting point, if its too much for you then lower that slider.
    I run FF100 on my DD2 together with Wheel Force 25Nm and Wheel Strength 5.0 on the Porsche 911 RSR and it feels perfectly fine with Peaks of around 10Nm.
    the problem is that it's too heavy turning, but you are using a 32cm wheel while i was using the 27cm formula , probably that makes all the difference, i should check with my 33cm wheel 

ClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza MotorsportClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza Motorsport

ClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza Motorsport

the problem is that it's too heavy turning, but you are using a 32cm wheel while i was using the 27cm formula , probably that makes all the difference, i should check with my 33cm wheel 

ClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza MotorsportClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza Motorsport

ClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza Motorsport

Ehm, where did I said I was using a 32cm wheel? I was using the same Formula v2 27cm wheel. And a strength of 5.0 or even 6.0 is far away from ripping your arms off...
  • using the recommended settings on the DD2 for PC and driving the skip barber, 100 strength in the wheel, 6 in iracing and 25nm set in iracing is way too strong.  i turned ffb in iracing (in the graphics black box) to 2.3 and it feels much better but it seems weird that i almost have the thing on zero.

I had a blast in the Skippy last night and eventually after some tweaking, I had to set to 4.8 in iRacing (and 25Nm) keeping 100 set in the wheel. This feels quite real. I have driven a formula ford around Stowe at Silverstone which is a very similar car albeit only a 1600cc vs 2000cc and can tell you that IRL the force feels between 5.5 and 6 in comparison, but I don't like it that strong personally, hence I settled on 4.8. I have the Universal hub with the small round wheel BTW, the force feels very different with a bigger wheel. What wheel do you use?

I am using the BMW wheel.  I am going to drive the skippy now and play around with the settings.
  • Why there are no FEI settings for CSW and CSL bases?
    there is FEI setting on CSW 2.5.

• Lisa HolmgrenLisa Holmgren Member
    edited May 2019
    Why there are no FEI settings for CSW and CSL bases?
    there is FEI setting on CSW 2.5.

I wonder the same. 90 is to much so I run 50 now and it feels pretty ok.
    Also my tip is to change from non-linear to linear mode on the 2.5 in Iracing, more detailed FFB if you ask me. 5 or 6Nm and up use linear mode.
  • Steve DuerrSteve Duerr Member
    edited May 2019
    the clubsport 2.5 is a 8Nm wheel, at least that was what the suggested setting was.  I changed to the recommended settings about 2 weeks before i got my DD2 but it felt pretty good to me.
  • Anyone having issues moving between console and PC? I switch from PC to PS4 and then switch back to PC. I have to configure all my controls and after going thru that process iracing still doesn't recognize the controls. Very frustrating to say the least.
  • @Ian Scott  I'm having a similar issue  every time I Start i-racing it prompts me to re configure controls very frustrating as I also have to remap buttons . Seems i=racing is  not saving  DD1 configs, in pc mode or  2.5 comp mode
  • @Ian Scott  I'm having a similar issue  every time I Start i-racing it prompts me to re configure controls very frustrating as I also have to remap buttons . Seems i=racing is  not saving  DD1 configs, in pc mode or  2.5 comp mode
    Are you guys jumping in the same car, after you have done the config, or a difftrent one ?
  • true, if you have use custom controls box ticked and you jump into different cars, you would have to setup your controls each time.
  • I've setup the Audi R8 LMS with F1 2019 + APM exactly as recommended for the V2.5 and it was great.  

Today I'm getting my Porsche 918 RSR which I purchased for (sacrilege) Dirt Oval.  

I hurt my arm using the DD! at Montreal and switched back to the 2.5.  With the DD! I could barely get the wheel turned due to FFB in the hairpins.  With the recommended settings for the V2.5 the wheel has force in the hairpins but seemed right for a car with power steering.

I'm looking forward to try the DD! recommended setting with the 918 and the F1.  I expect due to the leverage difference between the two adjustments will need to be made.  SimRacing Girl did a good job with a DD and 918 at the GP ring.  Was she using the recommended settings?

Nevertheless,  in lieu of the upcoming software it would be nice to have a spreadsheet that the DD owner could input the wheel used and the "Strength" they feel comfortable with and the output would be the setting that need to be changed (Wheel Force, FF) to keep it in the ballpark.  This would be an iterative process.
  • edited August 2019
    These are my settings for CSW 2.5 and I found them feeling very close to DD base and in some cases even better! (Kerbs and surface detail):

Tuning Menu Settings:
    SEN 900
    FF 100
    SHO 100
    ABS 65  < for cars with ABS good to know when You are over applying the brake pressure especially helpful in hot conditions
    DRI Off 
    FOR 110
    SPR 0
    DPR 0
    BRF User Preference
    FEI 70 (60 is fine as well but gives a little less road detail)

For me DRI and FEI settings are the most noticable game changers here. FEI on 100 gives really weird vibrations that feel articial and unnecessary. I find the 70 setting the best option. (60 has a closer mutted feel like DD has when driving over kerbs etc)
  • edited August 2019
    Hi Guys :)

i want to share my personal settings for iracing.

This settings appllies very well for me and my likings and when i share it over my YT channel everyone says that are really good.

You have to prepare iracing and a little app called irFFB but i think worth the time.
    Please note that this settings is not for everyone ( it's not a set of settings that is focused on unrealistic force feedback effects ).

I like curbs feels ( pneumatic and rubbery ) not gravel.
    I have settings for all major sims like Ac , acc, rf2 and iracing. ( not pCars2, f1 2019/18, Raceroom, AMS, DiRT 4, DiRT, DiRT 2 )
    try it :)

( sorry for my english ).

Podium DD2 Settings - iRacing + irFFB - Porsche 991 RSR @ SPA

Pack irFFB+vJoy+App.ini fixed for Podium DD (65535) on Windows 10 1903 64Bit
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AgGKPKLBz8DvCML2_ximTFl4A3DKCPXO/view?usp=sharing

After owerwriting App.ini Right click and enable read Only then Apply ,Ok.

Podium DD2 ONLY FOR >>> (Drv 3.40 - WB Fw 658 - SW Fw 28 - Motor FW 30)

Hi.Trq on (torque key inserted)
    Sen (Sensit) 1080
    FF (F.feedb.) 027 °°°
    SHo (Shck.vib) 100 (user preference)
    AbS (Br.abs) 085 (user preference)
    For (Force) 100
    SPr (Spring) 100
    dPr (Damper) 100
    ndP (Nat Dmp) off
    nFr (Nat FRI) off
    brF (brakef.) 70 (only if pedals are connected to the wheel base)
    FEI (F.eff.int.) 0 ( Increase this filter result in a more crisp road surfaces but not too much or feels harsh )
    i really like how FEI works now .. with older drivers when you have FEI at 0 even the entire FFB disappears completely.

iRacing - SPA - Porsche 911 RSR

Linear Mode on - Reduce force when parked on

irFFB Max Force 36 | Wheel Force 20 | Damping 0 | Min force 0
    iRacing Max Force and Wheel Force are two of the most over complicated parameter out there.. but trust me set it like this one and take in mind that with these settings the telemetry ffb out of iracing can't clip in 80% of cars.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________-
    For example

DD2 have a maximum peak torque of 25Nm but i prefer to set it to the Sustained Torque (wheel force 20 ) to create a good headroom for ( Max Force parameter )

Max force parameter is basicly how wide the iRacing FFB telemetry output have to be.

Take in mind this... if you set Max force to 20 and wheel force to 20 you have a ratio of 1:1 on telemetry but this is incorrect because the telemetry itself don't have headroom to operate.

If you set Max force to 40 and wheel force to 20 you have a ratio of 50% of 1:1.and the FFB feels more lighter because now you have more dynamic ( headroom) on telemetry output. You have to ( amplify the FFB from the wheel base with ( FF ), the sims have to out a clear and full signal to completely avoid Clippings.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    irFFB set to 360Hz
    irFFB Suspensions Bumps 100
    irFFB Understeer 18 / 40
    irFFB Understeer Offset 0.00
    irFFB SoP Effect 100
    irFFB Damping 0.00
    irFFB SoP Offset 0.00

Note: °°Max Force requires (°max ±8 to 10Nm) increase or decrease depending on selected car.

For example: Because the Vehicle base FFB of Ferrari 488 Gt3 is higher than other cars ( porsche RSR is less poweful ) 488 can have a max force of 42/46 but below this threahold wide clipping can occour

The Porsche RSR is not as powerful FFb like the 488 and with this car you can go even to max force 34/35 without clippings.
    Trick > Use ( car specific settings ON ) on iracing or irFFB.

NOTES:
    (° Maximum Max force Nm increase or decrease)
    (°° Avoid Clipping in irFFB Logs)
    (°°° Increase the steering torque via FF / f.feedb. when Max force range is maxed.
  • DD2 user here...

Recommended wheel settings of FFB=100,FOR=100 and iRacing strength=6 and wheel force=25Nm make driving really hard for me, with a lot of bouncing, pulling and jerks, let alone collisions (which are really wrist snappers).

Setting iRacing strength=3 helps but still collisions are still too hard and I am worried I am reducing the "operating range" of iRacing too much.

I am thinking of increasing the range on in-game strength and to reduce wheel FFB and/or FOR, but I don't really understand all the implications. For instance, what happens if I do a) or b)

a) FFB=20 with in-game-strength=15 vs. FFB=100 and in-game strength=3
    b) FOR=20 with in-game-strength=15 vs. FOR=100 and in-game strength=3

Is this something I should try to do or am I going to start clipping on in general lose more "resolution"? 
    Should I play with wheel force instead?

As you can see I am really lost here, any help is really appreciated!
  • Do most people use the default sliders for iracing or do they do the .ini changes and have it set for nm instead of %?

I was finding it difficult to find a good balance with the ini changes versus just setting the DD1 to 20nm and 3-6%.
  • Lisa HolmgrenLisa Holmgren Member
    edited September 2019
    Do most people use the default sliders for iracing or do they do the .ini changes and have it set for nm instead of %?

I was finding it difficult to find a good balance with the ini changes versus just setting the DD1 to 20nm and 3-6%.
    You dont have to change it in the .ini-file. Just click the on "Max Force" text and it changes to nm in settings, in-game. ;)
  • Does anyone have experience with the beta drivers functionality using only the ClubSport v3 Pedals with no Fanatec wheel base?

Currently using the v3's via USB and a g29 wheel also via USB. Current driver i'm using is 328 and firmware 1.30. See attached: