Fanatec F1 Wheel Buttons Stop Working or Buttons go Crazy

Comments

• For your info. I send this to Marcel,

In the release notes of the new beta drivers i saw your post claiming first priority is fixing the formula v2 dd1 freezing issue.

I'm reaching out to you with information that maybe can help you and me solving the problem asap.

First my specs.

• 4970k cpu
    • MSI 1080 TI gpu
    • Sniper g5 mainboard
    • 16 GB corsair dd3 memory 2400mhz
    • Windows 64bit Pro build 1909
    • Valve Index
    • 49 inch ultrawide samsung
    • Simrig 3dof motion system
    • Aluminium profile playseat Swedish Rig Designs
    • Fanatec DD1 PS4 Formula v2 wheelrim/wheelbase combination
    • Fanatec Inverted v3 Pedals
    • Fanatec Handbrake
    • Fanatec Shifter
    • Fanatec BMW Wheelrim

So the freezing happens randomly only with the Formula V2 wheelrim incl. APM attached. When having the BMW wheelrim attached i can do endless session without any freezing problems.

• Sometimes in the beginning whit short periods in between (5 - 10 minutes)
    • Sometimes later on after 1 or 2 hours racing with 30-50 minutes in between
    • When it freezes the Oled is stuck on a Gear or the F logo. The knobs and shifter are not working/registered anymore. Important: The v3 pedals and wheel rotation still work properly when this happens. Reattaching the wheelrim or resetting the base will fix the freeze.

So what i tested myself and didn't resolved the issue

• Its not game depended. I play dirt rally 2.0, f1 2019, Automobilista 2,0 and the most of the time IRacing. It happens with all these 4 sim/racegames randomly.
    • I formatted the system and installed a clean windows without updates. Still same problem.
    • I downgraded to all the old beta and original firmware. Still same problem.
    • I renewed the usb wheelbase cable and checked the PSU. Still same problem.
    • I changed usb ports 2.0 - 3.0. Still same problem.
    • Connected to a external usb 3.0 HUB with adapter. Still same problem.
    • Connected the wheelbase on a other windows system. My surface book 2 laptop. Still same problem.
    • With or without Fanalab installed. Still same problem.
    • With motion or without. Still same problem.
    • Detached the wheelbase and put it on my desk. Still same problem.
    • Attached the allen key. Still same problem.
    • Put vasseline on. Still same problem.
    • losen/tighten the srews in the wheelrim connector. Still same problem

Important to know

• Only thing solving the problem is swapping to my BMW wheelrim (without APM). No more freezing.

First time RMA                

Only send the wheelrim v2 back in. Fanatec couldn't reproduce the issue and requested me to also send the Wheelbase in. That time because of my situation i couldn't. Aslo my tests claimed it must be only a issue in the F1 V2 Wheelrim. So I asked friendly to send me a new Wheelrim but they wouldn't. I friendly asked to renew the APM before sending it back, maybe this would be fixing the problem. So they send me the old Wheelrim with a new/replaced APM back. After some weeks testing i concluded it didn't fix the problem. Still randomly freezing.

Second time RMA

Send the Wheelbase and Wheelrim back in. After a week or so, without any response/information i got the old wheelbase with a replaced/renewed F1 V2 wheelrim back in. Don't think it was a brand new wheelrim, because of the dirt on the alcantara grips. After some testing still got the same freezing issues.

Now i will RMA it for the third time....

Meanwhile this case is giving me a lot of headache/stress. Sinds the beginning i cannot enjoy this Premium Fanatec product. I ordered the whole Fanatec package a-z (2600 euro's) believing i would end up with the best of the best and most reliable piece of Simtech on the market, just ending up with a defective product not working properly. So i cannot do race leagues/cups.....just practice/timetrials with randomly freezing….Lately i see lots of people coming up with the same freezing problems. So i'm glad its on the priority firmware fix list. But i'm not sure its firmware related.

When looking back on this case my conclusion would be the problem is on the wheelbase side....maybe the wheelbase connection or wireless data chip...

• Daniel HaynesDaniel Haynes Member
    edited May 2020

Nice one.. and literally identical to my history to be honest.

However, Ive had a development.

I have been messaging Marcel for a long time also, but yesterday he actually sent me a test firmware for the V2 wheel to try.

I downloaded the new 365 drivers at the same time... only for it to completely break everything before i could even load the new v2 rim firmware. I couldn't access the fanatec control panel no matter what i tried, it would just disappear when trying to load it and leave a faulty usb input device in device manager. Trying every different driver version i could find, reinstalling. repairing rebooting, manually flashing the wheelbase all didn't work. so im pretty annoyed at this point. The base was all working and responding as normal though, so it def looked like a windows problem.

This morning I thought I would just start again... fresh install of windows 10. (even though old install was only a couple of month old and also only done to test this V2 wheel bug).... anyway on the new windows i install only the new 365 beta driver and it works first time. I then flash the test firmware Marcel gave me on the V2 rim.

Today I've played solid for about 5 hours.... iracing, AC, AMBS2.... I was convinced it was fixed after about 3 hours in iracing without a freeze, but eventually I got one, however it was completely different to normal.. the shifters stopped working, but the LED rev lights and screen was still fine. and the freeze was at the exact time that I was playing with settings in iRacing specifically about the LED lights and vibration, so im not 100% sure if that wasn't the cause.... now I have played another 2 hours to try and make it freeze again and it has not dropped a beat. completely fine.

Previously it would freeze within about 10-15 minutes absolutely maximum, often on first lap.

So something has changed, and change is good... I will drive a bunch more tomorrow and see. but right now im almost confident enough to actually enter a race with this rim!

Marcel probably wont reply until monday to messages I would assume.. so, if you want this firmware drop me an email - danielhaynes @ mac.com and ill send it you... two people testing it is better than one. and I trust your input as your fault description matches mine 100%.

• another two hours of solid full fuel stint F3 practice this afternoon.. not a single issue apart from my arms now hurt! lol

ive got to the point that i completely forget all about the rim and just concentrate on my driving... REALLY enjoying it again with the iracing F3 car. fingers crossed.

• CestolaCestola Member

Nice (or not) hear about same problems than yours (sorry for my bad english) here in Spain. Can you send me the firmware and I promise to try it and feedback results? I was racing with my old rim xbox GT without problems because the (expensive) combination DD1 + V2 is impossible. Your post is a new ray of hope. Thanks

edited May 2020

I sent you a message with the firmware file to try.

Driver 365 already had a V34 firmware update for the V2 rim.. I am assuming this is a slightly changed test version, but it still shows V34. It has not been confirmed what has been changed

• I ahve the exact same problem on PC

Advice?

edited May 2020

im on the verge of calling this.... but still just too cautious from the past.

Few more hours today... good mixture.. some skippies and then 90mins of LeMans practice in the 488... this wheel has NEVER felt so good on the new drivers and not a single hitch with the V2 rim on the test firmware. (Marcel confirmed the test firmware had changes specifically for the freeze over the version V34 bundled with driver 365)

dont want to touch anything. but next session ill remove and replace the wheel a couple of times just to see if that induces a freeze.

I want to use this rim for Leman 24hr now.. but i need SERIOUS practice with it to know 100% for sure its fixed first.

• update - Wheel rim removed and replaced many times now and driven on the V2 all week... not a single freeze! 🙌😎

• I would like to use this firmware file need to know how

• Daniel,

Nice!

Strange things is, without these test drivers I didn't have any problems 2.

I will try them today and will report back

edited May 2020

The 365 driver already had a V34 firmware update for the V2 wheel included. It might be that was already enough to fix our issue on its own. I didn't try it to be honest, just went straight to the test firmware.

I checked with marcel and the test v34 version is confirmed to be different from the v34 built into the drivers, but he didnt say exactly what was changed.. only it was specifically for freezing issues.

I dont feel like flashing back to older versions now its working perfectly and the ffb feels amazing, but that would probably confirm it 100%.

• Unfortunately, the 365 diver still have the same issue with V34 firmware in my test today. Would you send me your test firmware please? I've sent you an email for your help.

• After having the test firmware from Daniel, it works perfectly. I've been tested several firmwares for this symptom for long time and it always showed me the freeze within 5 min. However, with this test firmware, more than 15 min-stress driving is tested perfectly without any freezing issue. I'll keep testing this firmware and will report issues here if any. Thank you, Daniel !! Now I can enjoy my V2 rim again :)

edited May 2020

also a couple of other reports back to me that the firmware update completely fixed their freezes. One has entered a bunch of imsa races and has 6hrs under his belt with no freezes.

im entering f3 races with the v2 for first time today after faultless practice.

this actually looks solved finally!!! I’ll go back to Marcel so they can hopefully implement these changes in all future firmware updates.

• ok stupid question. Where in the blue hell do I find 365 drivers?

• Hi guys, I too am also having this same issue with my Formual V2 Steering Wheel on a CSW 2.5 Wheel base.

I just received my V2 wheel and wheel base back from an RMA repair and encountered the freezing issue within 30 minutes twice (even after installing the suggested driver pack below). For anyone interested, this is what Fanatec Support said was the issue:

"Our technician has found the issue. There is a big firmware issue and not a hardware issue. He will send back your units, as soon as possible and all correct firmwares are already installed at the products. Please use now the driver pack 334 on your pc. Our software dev-team works on a solution."

I am going to email Daniel now for the test drivers to confirm if this also resolves my issue as I'm desperate at this stage and will try anything to get my sim back up and running.

• Hi Alexander,

Just send Marcel Pfischer a message.

He will send you the fixed freeze test firmwares.

edited May 2020

I have been sending this to everyone that has asked for a couple of weeks now with no reports of a negative impact at least. So I think its safe to have available on here for people to test if they are having button freezing issues on the Clubsport V2 wheel only.

To confirm the procedure - Update to Beta drivers 365 - and then flash your V2 steering wheel in the control panel by manually selecting the test .hex file.

I have a serious amount of hours on my rim now with the test file. In the total length of time ive had exactly two freezes, both the same but different from usual. The LED lights and OLED screens no longer freeze up for me but continue to work and change with speed etc., only the buttons stop working now in the two freezes ive hap. I have reported this to Marcel, he confirms they will take another look in the hope of getting it stable 100%.

With the amount of time I have under it now fault free Ive been happy to enter official races and forgetting about it, previously there was no chance of doing that.

The more people that test the firmware and report back the better. So if you use it please post your experience here.

NOTE - To Confirm, only use this file if you have complete wheel rim freezes with the Clubsport V2 Formula steering wheel. The symptoms should be that ONLY the wheel freezes, FFB and steering in the wheelbase has always remained unaffected after a freeze event and you can restore full functionality with either a power cycle of the base, or just removing and replacing the steering wheel. If you are having wheelbase freezes, this is a separate issue from this thread.

• Welll don't get your hopes up. I send a message a week ago and still nothing....

• Hey guys,

I have the same issues with the buttons stop working or them going crazy. However i have the f1 esports steering wheel and the V2.5 base. I tried the 336 driver and 346 and had the problem with both. Someone an idea?

• So, i was unaware of this thread, and am glad I found it. I have had these problems for a few months now, however as i usually use a universal hub, and only pull my formula v2 out for the odd bit of gt racing or open wheel or lmp1, i kinda just let it go. This is certainly an issue that has popped up this year as i did the Daytona 24 with this wheel rim and had no problems. can't remember how long after that however i started having the problems, buttons going absolutely mental, no gear changes, the works. However i get some variants of this issue. Sometimes it is literally just the gears that wont change and nothing else, this sometimes fixes itself on the fly. other times the buttons dont go ham on me but the gears do. In extreme cases, everything goes haywire and to the point that even the wheel base seems to reset. it will go mental and next thing the wheel does its lock to lock calibration as if id just turned it on, and then everything works fine.

Had the problem for a while, but then did a few hours of testing for the 6 hours at le mans last weekend and had no problem. well wasn't i in for the ultimate backstab. about 3/4 of the way through my first stint, all hell broke loose, coming into the second mulsanne chicane, no gears, buttons went ham the full monty apart from the wheelbase resetting. Pulled over on the side of the road, tried pulling the wheel rim off and on, didn't work, ended up having to find my other wheel just to get the car back to pits.

After that effort, i got so peeved that while my team mate was driving, i pulled the wheel apart, having been told it may just be a loose earth, i thought i may be able to quickly fix it. But of course, no earth to speak of. so i just unplugged everything and replugged it, put the wheel back together and hey presto, it all seemed to work normally again. Did several hours in the LMP1 again, no problem, even had a bit of a crash derby in the gte and still no problem. Return to le mans for more laps ready for the 24 hours, no problems until, everything goes ham like never before. the buttons went ham and immediately the wheel disconnected and the car turned hard left into the wall, for those wondering, ys it was rather spectacular given the car was pinned in 6th gear.

So all this brings me here, what in the ever living hell can i do to fix this. I bought the rim second hand of a very trustworthy guy in our sim community with the APM already installed. He had no such problems to speak of, and the wheel worked fine for the best part of 6-8 months until this brain mess started occuring.

On a side note, i have a V2 CSW wheelbase, it however recently went full V2 spec and died spectacularly. Sent it in for RMA, they replaced all the internals with V2.5 ones, and low and behold, the problem still occured (the RMA was actually done before the le mans 6 hour effort)

If it makes any difference, i have a uni hub that i spend a probably unhealthy amount of time using and have not once had a problem when using that wheel rim. It has done everything from last years daytona 24, to belting the V8 supercar round bathurst in enduros, to possibly some of the biggest crashes ever seen on iracing in the ever hilarious crash derbys. So before i throw this beautiful rim through my window, someone please help.

• I'm also experiencing the freeze issues.

My Hardware:

Fanatec Clubsport CSW 2.5

Fanatec Formula V2 Rim

Driver V665

WB firmware v672

Motor frmware v22

for the rim i have tested two firmwares:

a) original v34. For two weeks i didnt experience any freeze but it happened and I decided to try firmware uploaded by Daniel.

b) version from Daniel. For week it was fine but when the freeze occured buttons started going Crazy (random buttons where pushed)

I moved back to the original version 34 and right now issue is occuring every 1-2 hours so i can't participite in any long race.

Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the upcoming firmware update

• So, update, i did the update posted in here earlier, aaaand, it didnt work, and to make it better, now only 2 out of the 12 of the buttons on my universal hub work.

Have stood by fanatec for a long while, but i am genuinely ready to bin this stuff...

edited June 2020

I think you guys are getting confused... this thread is for the podium base and v2 formula rim experiencing random button freezes only.

if you’re on a different base or experiencing random button presses and steering freezes your issues are something else entirely.. especially if your on a universal hub, that has nothing to do with this thread. Please seek support.

the test firmware posted is only for the v2 formula rim.

• I think your mistaken. The original post is about a V2.5 and not a podium base. this tread is about random freezing of the V2 rim wich seems to happen on al the bases.

But it sad to see that Fanatec still havent solved the problem since October 2019. My V2 just lies unused in the closet.

• my problem was originally with my v2 rim on my V2.5, however after doing the firmware update, my universal hub has suddenly become almost inopperative.

• update. Wiped the drivers off the pc, downloaded the ones from the fanatec website, and the universal hub works fine now. only problem is fanalab is now telling me i need to update to some driver v339 to use fanalab again, even though it used to work on the drivers im using again

edited June 2020

Ben.. this has nothing to do with the test firmware for the v2 rim... that is ONLY installed on the v2 rim itself as it’s own firmware.

the universal hub button issues is a known fault with the beta 365 drivers, I think there is a workaround for it already, go read the 365 thread and look at marcels posts - he lists it as a known issue right on the first post, if you downgrade to 356 or lower which you have already done it also fixed it. You have gone too far back though so can’t use fanalab. I suggest installing 356 beta drivers for now.

• Hi, Ive had issues where I would have to upshift twice to change gear once and had this same issue as the original post on my Podium F1 PS4 yesterday on iracing, fanatec are saying if the buttons are being detected in the properties page then it's a game issue and not a hardware related but as this is happening over various games for other people surely it cant be the game at fault