Fanatec F1 Wheel Buttons Stop Working or Buttons go Crazy

Comments

• so i uninstalled all the fanatec drivers, went back to the drivers on the website, now not only is my uni hub working properly, my V2 appears to be playing ball again

• edited June 2020

Last two weeks I haven`t finished almost any session without (Podium Racing Wheel F1) shifter paddles freezing in iRacing.

I did try all what this topic has offered and adviced, nothing helped.

Earlier today I sent pm to Marcel and he replied with wheel test firmware.

Without any freezing problems I just successfully drive 15min practice, 4 laps qualify and 20min race :)

Hopefully this was the end for these freezings, surely at least a good start :)

Thank you Marcel, Fanatec and all users here who has helped to solve this problem !

• Hey guys, just started having this issue. I’m using a csw2.5 base with a formula “carbon look” wheel. I say “carbon look” because I was insulted by it not being a true carbon wheel but a normal formula wheel with a thin sheet of carbon not much thicker than cigarette paper layered on top when I opened it up last Christmas thinking it was really carbon. Anyway, iRacing with an F3 at Suzuka, kept getting missed shifts on the up shifts at certain parts of the track along with my look right, pit limiter buttons randomly getting pressed by the poltergeist. I am not religious but should I be contacting a priest or the Vatican soon?

• Hi, glad I found this thread! I have a 2 week old f1 PS4 DD1 that I use mainly on iracing. Was doing the Silverstone 12 hour and my wheel froze on my second stint, no gear shifts until I reset the wheelbase, almost ruining our race.

I have also noticed the clutch becomes partially engaged for no reason and again is fixed by resetting the wheelbase. I’m almost certain it’s an issue with the APM, possibly the wheel itself or the connection between the two. Definitely not wheel base related.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet as I’m running the Spa 24hr this weekend and I may have to pull out as I cannot trust my wheel to last a full stint!

• I have been using the test software for about a month and no freezing any more. I did have about three times that after start up the V2 wheel is recognized as an Elite P1 and multiple buttons are activated. A power cycle fixes that.

• could you please upload the software somewhere ? Fanatec is not quite responsive these days ...

• I just started to have this exact problem with mu csw 2 and formula carbon wheel. Shifter stop working all of the sudden and random buttons getting pressed. It comes back and works after a few seconds the it happens again. Last race it happened several times.

• Hi Daniel,

Is there any progress with maybe some newer anti (test)firmwares?

I was confident enought to sell my dd1/V2 unit with the specific test firmware because for me it solved the freezing issue.

But now the new owner is experiencing some early freezes now. I think he must reflash the anti freeze firmware to solve this.

He will report back on this.

Regards,

Sander Dignum

• I just wanted to thank you Daniel A LOT !!!

I started to have the same problem, about one time every 30 minutes. I never had any freeze before in 4 months, except sometimes on start connected to my Xbox.

I really tought it was about connections or something like this, and i was ready to contact support... God thanks i found this topic !

Do you know if a stable (not beta) firmware now integrates this bugfix ?

Now i played for some hours without any bug.

Thanks !

• Yes Remi - The test firmware plus additional improvements (there is also a new firmware for the Wireless quick release included in it) have been added to the new Beta drivers released a week or two ago, (372/373)

I have been using this new firmware and not had a single issue or freeze. Complete the Road America 6hr, lots of practice and a few 1hr iLMS races with the V2 wheel no problem at all.

I would recommend updating to this latest driver

• Remi PrivetRemi Privet Member
    edited August 2020

Ok I will give it a try, that's the 373 version right ? (I can't see the 372)

Thanks !

• Daniel HaynesDaniel Haynes Member
    edited August 2020

Yes they replaced the 372 version to fix a small problem people had with it and changed it to 373... im actually still on 372 but they are basically the same.

you will get asked to update basically every firmware possible after install including V2 wheel.. all went fine for me and has been best driver yet for sure. also needed for new Fanalab which is much improved.

• I just updated my DD2 and the installation was fine and easy. I did not notice any freeze problem anymore !

But I noticed some Oscillations when I drive that I Never had before. It happens when the tracks has wholes or bumps. The wheel goes left and right quite fastly...

Do you know which parameter i could use to reduce it ? Thanks by advance.

• In the end, i arrived to stop oscillations by increasing natural damper. In F1 20xx recommended settings, they adviced to set NDP to 20, but I had to set it back to 50. Now it's fine ! If it Can helps someone !

Thank you a lot for your advices Daniel. It is easy to be lost in fanatec environment at start...

• ♫ I just come, to say I love you ♫

haha Thanks mate, I had this problem for a year, it was normal to me on racing DC the wheel and reconnect every race.

You make me happy :D

Setup

CSL Elite Wheel Base + Officially licensed for PS4

Formula v2

• Final update here.

after new beta drivers (372 I think) that also included the quick release firmware update... it’s 100% completely resolved. The previous v2 test firmware had it 95% fixed but very occasionally I still got a freeze, but the fully released version fixed it completely.

not had a single issue in months. I have completed many 6hr enduros and 10hr road Atlanta all with the v2 rim without issue. Completely forgotten about it now. I just switch wheels at will and enjoy my unit as it should be..... on a side not get yourself a a-ring 3d printed quick release adapter, it’s sooooo much better than the stupid rubber and tightening it up every time. I switch rims in seconds now and get literally zero play in the quick release. As it should have been from the start frankly.

good luck anyone else with this issue. Get those new drivers ASAP. I wonder if it was actually the quick release firmware update that finally completely resolved it.. and I see they have now removed that part from 373 drivers as a couple of people had issues, so you might need to hunt it down to test. I’m sure it will be back in the next release.

• Tim KocksTim Kocks Member
    edited November 2020

I've recently received a 2.5 base. Had a P1 wheel waiting already and a F1 V2 was on the way to arrive the next day.

Played half an hour with the P1 wheel with no issues. When the F1 V2 wheel arrived I got prompted for an update and applied the new firmware.

Now whatever game I try, the base freezes within about 30 seconds of FFB in-game and the device disappears from the Gamecontrollers window of the Properties Page. Both the P1 and F1 rim. All test on the Properties Page work, except the FFB test, which mostly fails/freezes the base.

Uninstalled and freshly installed drivers, same issue. Uninstalled and installed latest release candidate beta driver. Issue still persists. (so running latest drivers and firmware available on base/motor/rim.)

Tried multiple USB ports on both front case header and motherboard, 2.0 and 3.0, same issue. Visually everything on the wheelbase and rims seems to be in perfect order. The base is install sturdily on a stable rig. (I haven't taken the base apart to check)

The wheel base is from January and the rim from May. Unfortunately I bought it off somebody else that showed a video of it working perfectly. So unless I find a solution I'll have to RMA it through him because Fanatec only offers warranty to the 1st customer and doesn't seem to have the confidence in their products to just offer warranty on their products straight up.

Unfortunately I do not have another pc to try. Only thing I can try is disconnect the CSL elite pedals and connect them directly to the PC and maybe do a fresh windows install.

All in all this is a very disappointing experience moving from a T300RS to a Fanatec setup. I hope I find a way to resolve this.

Unfortunately after a quick response from Fanatec support, I was asked to send a video, but haven't heard back yet. Though I understand they are swamped atm.

Any suggestions on what else I can try?

• Ok, replugging everything in wheelbase and PC for the xth time helped somehow. I guess don't give up :)

• Hey, still got the problem of the Formula V2 (PS4) DD1 on PC.

Only the Wheel Freeze. Any buttons work nor the Advanced Module Paddle Shift. I however still have FFB and Pedals working correctly.

I am on the driver 381 and the V38 of the Wheel...

Just today on a 4h our session, it occured 4 times in ACC.

I do not see any issues with the pin from the wheel nor the one on the DD1.

• Max PhyoMax Phyo Member
    edited January 2021

I've had this problem for months as well (DD2 + formula v2 rim), and have been following this thread. I've tried the modified wheel rim file, didn't work. I also updated to 381 and the problem was worse. The most recent move was 373 with wheelbase 674, motor 40, rim 35. It worked fine for a few weeks, but as of yesterday it's been going bonkers (inoperable shifters and buttons). I have been emailing with Fareed at Fanatec, so he knows what's happening and all the testing I've been doing. He now suggests sending in my wheelbase and rim for inspection.

I guess my question is this: I assume steering wheel firmware 35 includes the fix that came with the modified 34 firmware?

• I think a while ago, I had this problem very often. Then no more problem for a while. And now it's back.

Might it be the problem of the game and not the driver? I recently only played ACC and as what I remembered, I did not have this problem on other games like F1 2020.

I don't know if a sudden peak of FFB might cause this issue, and most specifically on ACC

And yes, usually all updated firmware are based on the previous one + new modifications

I need to try on an older driver to see if I still have this issue.

• I am going to try with this Firmware that was suggested in oloder versions. Apparently it resolved the issue:

RFORMv2_V34_rev187_app

• Max PhyoMax Phyo Member
    edited January 2021

That's an interesting theory, although I don't recall any reason for an FFB spike when the fault happens. Maybe I can try to decrease either the in game FFB or the wheelbase FFB or both. And I am having this issue with both ACC and F12020, although I primarily play ACC (like 99% of the time).

Also in regards to v34 rev, I tried that and it didn't help. As I mentioned above, I was having major issues with 381. I found 373+35 works best, but still having issues.

• I don't really know how everything works, but if ACC sends data to the wheelbase as FFB for example, if there is a sudden peak, then probably the issue can come from the information.

So is it a driver issue, game issue, or a hardware like usb cable or the wheelbase? I have nooo idea... :P

• My first thought when this started happening, though, was that my physical steering inputs were causing some sort of disconnect between rim and base, tbh. But after some time now, I'm not sure sure. I dunno what's happening. Hopefully this can get resolved. I may just end up sending my stuff in to Fanatec for them to at least check everything over. Not sure if I can live without my gear for a month or more though, lol.

• Yeah the same haha I have a spare wheel but not a spare wheel base 😅

• Hi,

some guys at my league are having the same issue with their Formula Carbon and v2. Works fine with their BMW GT2.

One of them got an RMA, but the wheel was sent back to him and he still have the issue.

I noticed on my pc that there are some log files available in C:\Users\Public\Fanatec Logs

I don't know if there is a special thing to do to activate trace log or not. It seems that the files are cleared when the base is turned off.

Has anyone tried to look into it ?

• Hi,

I have had exactly the same experience.

I've tried to update to firmware versions 365, 373, 381, 400, and 402.

I either have the buttons and paddles stop working and the wheel reboot midrace, or the buttons start to freak out constantly for about a minute before it reboots.

With firmware 402 it even tells me to update to the latest firmware on the OLED - when it says that and I go into the firmware update manager it doesn't recognize the wheel.

I've requested support from Fanatec over 2 weeks ago now and have fed them a whole load of things that I've tried (which boils down to the above).

I initially thought maybe Fanalabs had something to do with it - and it did seem that way with 1.54.4 (& 5) as I noted fanalabs crashed at the point I had this occur. However, having uninstalled fanalabs completely and re-flashed the firmware without keeping any config, it still occurs.

I got to a point the other day where my wheel crashed when I pressed the small setup button to change between sets.

At a complete loss - nothing from fanatec, wheel is only 8 months old.