CSL DD feels scratchy

Comments

• Best description of that issue, Samuli.

• I received DD today and after 30 mins of driving started searching for this... and came here. Same issue here. It's awesome for first 5 minutes and then I can feel "noise" from electric motor on my hands which is unpleasant. I've sent a RMA so will see but I feel dissappointed after waiting such long.

• I visited my friend today and tested his DD unit. I drove on his DD 40 minutes continuously and there was absolutely NO issue. My DD starts doing that after 10-15 minutes of driving. That's not characteristic of product is other unit is issue-free.

• Jimmy HolmJimmy Holm Member
    edited November 2021

Can confirm same issue here. Grainy feeling starts after about 5 minutes of driving. Absolutely nothing I have attempted has solved it. Happens in multiple titles (all the ones I've tried).

• edited November 2021

I just sent mine for RMA so after 2 months of waiting I had to send it back after 2 days and I need to wait another ~2 weeks . 😂

I hope I'll get new unit . It's quite easy to reproduce the problem. After 30 mins of driving it's quite obvious. I found out that it seems to be related to wheel base radiator temp. The warmer it is the more prononuned problem is.

• I received my DD a week ago. Straight away I noticed something was off and started googling the issue and found this thread. Watched some videos and talked to a friend who also owns this base and it all confirmed my suspicions - it shouldn’t be like that.

My DD felt scratchy - like a buzz or some sand in the bearings as was described. On top of that, the base (and thus the wheel also) would vibrate slightly but quite noticeably and that caused the wheel to move back and forth just slightly! I have posted a video of that, it’s not much but it can be seen:

The scratchy/grainy feeling would never go away, and was there regardless of what sim I played (ACC, AC, DR2) and what settings I used - I fiddled with them for a couple days. Right from power-on to power-off it was always there. I tried different USB ports, different wall plugs, different firmware - anything I could think of. The FBB felt really good apart from that, but I just couldn’t get that scratchyness off my mind, especially when going on straights I could constantly feel the buzz in the wheel. (Of course, it would also constantly scratch while FFB effects were acting on the wheel)

As much as I wanted to enjoy my DD for a couple of weeks before RMA I just said screw it and started the process. Today I have left it at the post office and so the countdown begins. I will leave an update when Fanatec reaches out to me or when the RMA procedure is resolved.

Good luck to you all and see you on track!

• That movement might be NFR setting (Natural Friction). The higher value the bigger movement I had even on desktopwithout any game/sim enabled. Supsrisingly that didn't happen on my friend's DD that I tested and was "grain-free" but that might not be related though.

• No this is not NFR. None of the recommended presets have any degree of NFR for the sims I played, and enabling it didn’t change anything.

The sensation I’m describing does not feel like any refined FFB effect, more like something is broken. Very irregular, feels “wrong” and doesn’t depend on anything.

what you’re describing Mateusz also doesn’t sound good if I’m honest :(

• Hi there, I can also report that my wheel base was also with exactly the same issues as described by Krzysztof. Rotation felt grainy after couple of minutes from powering and there was a permanent friction of the shaft which was very annoying. It didn't even matter if I play any game or not. Moreover, even if I disconnected usb cable from the pc that friction didn't disappear.

I also tested multiple scenarios (different ffb settings, few different driver versions, different usb ports etc.) and nothing helped. I started and RMA procedure as well and sent it back to Fanatec last Friday. I hope they will send me new base shortly...

• I have exactly the same issue described in this thread. After about 5-10 minutes of driving, or 1 minute of holding the wheel on the visual endstop, the wheel develops a "scratchy" or "fizzy" feeling which doesn't go away until the wheel is powered off. It's completely unrelated to any tuning settings, and it happens in-game, on the desktop, or even when the wheel isn't plugged into a PC at all. My best description of it is that it feels the way a hard drive sounds.

I'm using the Boost Kit. I've tried various things to check this isn't interference from wall power - including running the DD on an uninterruptible power supply completely disconnected from any wall power. I've also tried various cable routing positions to see if it might be interference from another external source, but no change.

I've been in touch with Fanatec RMA, who have first tried replacing my power supply, then suggested I tighten all the screws on the quick release and connector and reseat the shaft, and then when that didn't work requested I return the wheelbase. They sent me a new wheelbase from the warehouse in Germany, which has the exact same issue.

I'm left with a few ideas:

- This is normal and only a few people are sensitive to it (I find this unlikely)

- I've received two duff power supplies

- I've received two duff wheelbases

- This is normal but only for Boost Kits, and the standard supply doesn't suffer from this issue

- Something in my (and other people here's) setup is causing an interference issue, but only after 10 minutes of use and it vanishes after shutting off the unit

This is becoming extremely frustrating, as regardless of the cause, the wheelbase I've spent €479 on (plus import fee and accessories) simply isn't as good as I've been led to believe

• Fanatec guys will not be happy to hear this, but this ghetto solved it for me for good.

• edited November 2021

Great input Chris. I have also tried repositioning the PSU, using different sockets etc. The issue persists even when my PC is off and the USB cable not plugged in. Also when pedals and rim are taken off the base. The comparison to a hard drive is very on point! Great reference.

I’m led to believe that you did in fact receive two faulty units, either PSU or base. (At least that’s what I want to believe)

I’ve talked to a friend and asked detailed questions about the feeling on the wheel and he told me almost none of the things happen with his base, he has the exact same kit I have - DD Boost kit and Mclaren rim. I have yet to pay a visit and try his wheel to confirm if that’s true. I do NOT believe this is what the wheel is supposed to feel like, not even close. I mean it’s so bad that the wheel shakes on its own for Christ’s sake!

I’m impatiently waiting for my wheel to return from RMA, and I sure as hell hope the issue is resolved.

Chris, do you have the possibility to try another wheel somewhere? You should definitely RMA it again in either case…

EDIT: also, it doesn’t seem like other peoples bases have this problem STRAIGHT AWAY, like I do. Right after turning on the issue is there with full effect. No waiting or driving is needed at all…

• Viktor I would be inclined to try that if there was a chance it’s heat-related. It happens right at power-on though… Maybe it’s related to the base being cold 🤔

• @Chris Nightingale

This is normal and only a few people are sensitive to it (I find this unlikely)

I don't think so, I had a chance to test my friend's CSL DD and that did not happen. What's interesting - radiator on his base stay cooler than mine over time so indeed it is heat-related issue but seems that only some of DDs produce more heat than they should.

btw. regarding to my RMA - Fanatec is going to send me new unit.

• Great news Mateusz! Can I ask how you waited to get the decision from Fanatec? How many days from sending/arrival to getting the response?

• edited November 2021

Sent on Friday, package has been delivered at Fanatec on Tuesday and they will ship new unit tomorrow.

What are first 4 digits of your serial numbers? Maybe our bases were manufactured same week/month and that's the case.

Mine: starts with LA3610

• Krzysztof & Mateusz:

Mine is also heating more than reported by other people. The fans keep it cool and flawless. So no matter it is, I do not care about it anymore unless it starts acting again. A benefit of these fans also is it makes VR quite comfortable, better than home fan I was using before.

I wonder if new unit will solve it for you.

• Mine is also LA3610…

• Mine is also LA3610. However, my original unit with the same issue was LA3110.

• Mine was LA3510 so different one. I sent my unit back to Fanatec on Friday as well, package delivered on Tuesday as well but I don’t know yet when new unit will be shipped to me…

What I found on my account, there is new order placed by Fanatec yesterday but availability date is set to 3rd of January. I hope I won’t have to wait so long…

• Mateusz, can you please check what availability date for new order is set on your account?

Thanks in advance!

• edited November 2021

They told me that availability date should be ignored and it does not apply to RMA because they have enough spare units on stock for replacement.

My friend's CSL DD that works flawless is LA3710

• It seems that my replacement unit will be shipped soon as well. They just changed order status to “has been processed” so fingers crossed I will receive it next week like you.

Dzięki :)

• Support has looked at my unit and didn’t find anything which was my worry with these things.

Have pointed them to this post to see I am not the only one 😂

they are going to get the workshop to have another look.

• Curious - in my case they said the technician did find a defect on the PCBA, which I actually find kind of reassuring because it means there should be an identifiable fault in the units with this behaviour

• OH!

If there is something wrong with the PCB... I could maybe get just the PCB instead of gambling with all the base being pingponged forth and back?

But I really wonder why cooling the base removed the graining totally for me (jolts stay but these are really basically omnipresent. Had some chat about ACC new FFB settings at Aris' discord and more people described exactly the same issue with kicks to FFB).

• edited November 2021

Guys, happy end. New unit works flawless and super smooth. After 40 mins of constant driving radiator is still cold. On previous CSL DD it took 20 minutes to make it warm.

New unit's serial number starts with LA3510 so seems that it doesn't matter if it's higher or lower.

• Simon I hope you get a positive result..

Mateusz good to hear! I sent mine last Monday, so that’s 8 days ago and it seems my parcel is taking as long to arrive as your whole RMA case did… it last registered in Leipzig yesterday morning on the tracking app, and I’m really hoping they deliver it today… getting impatient

• Like Viktor, I also solved this issue with fans. I placed a table USB fan behind my wheelbase. It's not even a very powerful fan but the issue is completely gone. After a week of tweaking things and trying solutions with no result at all, a single fan was the "fix".

I'm still sending my wheelbase for RMA today, it's clearly defective if I need to do this to get it working properly.

• edited November 2021

An update: there's no grainy feeling no matter of how radiator is warm however those "vibrations" or "grainy feeling" - whatever we call it - can be felt without any game/sim on desktop if I change natural friction (NFR) above 0 for example at 50%. Much more subtle but still. In this scenario it can be felt even on my friend's CSL DD which I mentioned earlier that works perfectly.

Maybe I am paranoic but I think that after good 40-50 minutes of driving when radiator is warm to touch wheel base loses like 1-2Nm so I'll end up with fan behind I guess, lol. Can't tell how it was on my previous unit because I could't drive more than 20 minutes because of that iritating feeling.

I'll end up with CSL DD ClubSport if Fanatec will release it or switch to another brand. Quality control is below average in my opinion.