CSL DD feels scratchy

Comments

• - This is normal and only a few people are sensitive to it (I find this unlikely)

-- Did not notice on my second wheelbase

- I've received two duff power supplies

-- I'm 99% sure I got the same powersupply. It the cables where folded, as I did

- I've received two duff wheelbases

-- This is imo the problem

- This is normal but only for Boost Kits, and the standard supply doesn't suffer from this issue

-- For me it was the 5nm

- Something in my (and other people here's) setup is causing an interference issue, but only after 10 minutes of use and it vanishes after shutting off the unit

-- I connected it the exact same way with the problem wheelbase und the smooth wheelbase. I also connected the problem one to another setup. Same problem

I could imagine the fans are helping. This would explain the variations in happening of the problem.

• Update on mine. They are sending me a new base and keeping mine for further analysis.

cross my fingers for the new one to be smooth :)

• Fun fact - fanatec sent me accidentally 2x CSL DD with boost kits instead of one. 😀 I let them know and sent extra unit back. I'll get sticker & button set in return for my honesty.

• Simon, good to hear! I was wondering “if there is no problem found, what is the problem if they just send you a new one anyway?”. Good to know they did that - I am also a bit paranoid that they claim mine has no issues with it… which I’m sure it does.

Mateusz wow hahaha did they send two packages or two units within one package? Good of you to send it back! However, sticker and button set sound kinda cheap if you ask me! 😅 I’m sure I would’ve done the same, honesty goes a long way! Perhaps I would’ve tested one of the units and if I had doubts tested the other one as well.

My DD arrived at fanatec this Tuesday, patiently waiting on a reply from them with the decision… I keep refreshing my email 😁

• They did send 2 packages separately. I kept second unit for 1 day to make sure that the one I chosen works fine.

• Sooo I’ve been checking my email all day, now I decided to check my fanatec orders and sure enough - a new order has been created today morning and processed for a DD + boost kit. Serial LA3410. I’m glad they did not question anything, however it’s weird how I got no email regarding the RMA, and no shipping email from UPS.

• I am having the same issue and am about to send the base back. For those commenting about putting fans by it... I would only add that I don't suspect that will help me as I'm using the base in a room that rarely goes above 60F, and the base stays cold to the touch. *shrug*

Feels fine for 5 minutes after power on then gets worse from there. Lets hope my RMA is quick.

• The DD arrived today. Did some testing, and it was immediately obvious that my issue is gone. No vibration, not graininess. Super happy. RMA your wheelbases people!

thanks to everyone contributing to this thread! :)

• There is one thing which totally interests me here. Did you try it with the older firmware?

I submitted a ticket about possibility to have just the PCB replaced (I really do not want to stay without the base over full lock we are going to have here), but got no reply at all yet.

• Mine felt pretty much skin temperature on the back and top, sides were just cold. Not hot by any means, just slightly warm to the touch. Fans still solved the issue.

• RMA process is currently extremely slow, not sure what or who is at fault.

Posted mine on the 30th of November in Finland and it was in the terminal for international packages getting shipped out the following morning.

Took until the 7th of December (8 days) for it to reach Fanatec and I have still (10 days) not heard anything back from them.

• Update, got the response today, day 11.

Product confirmed defective, as I agreed with support previously I got to choose between a replacement or a refund, taking the refund at this time.

TL;DR If you actually have these issues, don't hesitate to RMA.

• Just to give an update. It has been over a month after writing this comment, and during this time I have used the CSL DD for many hours, but the problem has not happened anymore at least during the last few weeks.

• pleased to hear that people are getting new bases without the issue. I got an email this morning of warehouse processing for a $0 CSL-DD so I assume it is a new unit.

Tracking indicates they received my RMA unit on 12/15. I can't find any emails confirming receipt from them or confirmation that the issue was replicated, so, fingers crossed.

• hi everyone,its seems also happened for me...5NM power supply after 30 min in ACC or just push the wheel one side over the limit,its just start feel very small vibration...i can't see it from out side but can hear it and feel it.

possible over heating? cause if i turn it off and immediately on,still vibration.but if weit a moment,vibration disappeared.

• Received my csl dd with the boost kit today. I can confirm the same issue a lot of people describe here. There is a very slight vibration going on even when the base is only connected to the power supply and i can only feel it in my mclaren wheel. The base itself is cold and this now starts right from startup. When i get in car it gets so bad i can barely focus on driving. It feels like driving on some very tiny pebbles even on straights. Tried older drivers, different tunes nothing seems to help. Super disappointed as i was waiting for a month and was over the top when it arrived. I know its not a normal feeling as in the first 20 minutes of my first usage after unboxing it was perfect silk smooth then something happened and its been doing it since. I also have coil whine (or whatever its called lol) in the power supply, but i think its unrelated and doesn't bother much at all. Hopefully the RMA process will be smooth as im based in eu. Back to the tmx pro in the meantime..... :'|

• edited December 2021

Quick update. If i turn it off for at least an hour it resets and takes around 15 mins for the vibrations to start again. Once it starts it doesnt stop even if i just leave it idle. The vibrations also get stronger when im turning the wheel (even if no game is runnning)

• Any fixes so far? I have the same problem on my DD2, got a new one from fanatec after an RMA but with exactly the same issue.

I've tried every way of uninstalling and re-installing drivers, older drivers, newer drivers,...

Tried other power supplies and so forth.

Before, my base was very very smooth, then i downloaded f1 2021 and updated my drivers, then the problem came.

It feels like something is wrong with the interpolation filter or something, i can even feel it when the car is stationary, it feels like a very very slight static in the FFB.

As other people mention, the game does not get unplayable, its still very precise; but for 1500 euros and the other stuff you buy around the setup, i expect a smooth feeling base.

Weird that the new base has exactly the same problem, i've read that all bases that went through a driver 4OO or higher feel this way.

Please people if anyone finds a solution, or needs more info from me: let me know!

• After having this issue since I received my DD in late August, I've decided it is time to try to get it fixed.

I submitted a support ticket at the start of this week. Support were very quick to respond and after asking me to try the latest firmware (should I have checked that first really), said I needed to RMA my base and send it to the service centre. My base was collected by the courier this morning. I'll report back here with the outcome. I'm in the UK so it was sent to the London service centre.

Some people in this thread have received new bases and have confirmed they no longer have the issue. So fingers crossed.

I've held out for months in the hope that this issue would somehow be resolved by a firmware update (I've got a CSL DD rather than DD2). I've come to the conclusion there is a physical defect that causes it. It seems to be temperature related as the base is initially smooth, before becoming grainy/scratchy once it has been running for a little while. I'll report back with the outcome.

• Update: Seems like a happy end for now. Received my new unit on Tuesday and so far the issue seems to be completely gone!!! RMA was thankfully very smooth with no pushbacks so im assuming they are aware of the issue. Definitely link to this thread so they can compare the info provided and hopefully work out the exact issue.

• Matty3126Matty3126 Member
    edited January 2022

Great to hear!

Update: A happy end for me too. I received my new unit yesterday and after quite a few hours of ACC (and far more sitting powered out of game), so far the issue is completely gone. It has transformed my experience of the DD from 'very good' to 'excellent'. I can now feel subtle FFB in ACC which was being masked before by the vibrations. Things like the front tyres scrubbing during understeer or the ABS kicking in are now there at the end of an hour stint rather than just for the first lap or two.

The RMA process was very straight forward. Fanatec UK received my base on Monday 10th Jan. I got my base back yesterday, 19th of Jan. The communication could be improved though. I never got any update from Fanatec as to the status of the RMA process once they received it. The only email I got from Fanatec after they received my base was one to say "Your Fanatec order will be shipped soon", which I assumed meant I was getting a new base (it did). A minor issue though and very happy with the end result.

Thanks to those who dared to RMA before me. I was hesitant, thinking it may even be normal. Reading comments of people in this thread getting new bases gave me confidence to go for the RMA.

• Found the problem! It's not over heating. Nothing wrong with it at all. So I just got my cls gtddpro and after 15 mins of play on ps5 .I got the grainy/ high Current feeling . I've done everything no Results. For days . So I found this Article like every one else. And was like damn I got to send it back. But no this morning I changed the usb from the back of the ps5 to the front and I've played for hours and it's fine no more grainy feeling. I don't know what Kind of usb port the PS5 has in front Maybe look it up for you PC guys. If you have a older PC you You will have to upgrade the usb. To confirm this is it. I switched back to the back of the PS5 of because my Steel series headphones has a weird dongle That blocks my front USB . And to no Avail It started again so it's A USB problem. I hope this helps..... I would like to know has anybody anybody went from USB C to USB C On the CSL?

• Has anyone that had successfully RMAd done so in the USA? Did you have to point them to this thread to get traction? I’ve had my base for 2 days and have this feeling after about 30 minutes.

tomorrow i will try the USB-c on the front of my PS5

• Hi Travis I had the same grainy high Current feeling playing on the playstation 5 yesterday, when we had a hot day in Australia and I played for a few hours when it started to happen. So today I took your advice I changed the USB from the back of the ps5 to the front, and touch wood the grainy high Current feeling has not come back after a few hours of playing.

I will still test this over the next few days and see if I can get grainy high Current feeling , while we have warm condition when playing and if nothing happens in the next few days, your solution has worked Travis.

• I had the same rather annoying 'scratchy' feeling, and couldn't find a solution (didn't know about the USB thing then). Under the vague thought that maybe it needs some 'run in' time, I started to turn the wheel without power a couple of turns, and then with power on also turning the wheel from soft stop to soft stop. Did that a couple of days, and now the scratchy feeling is gone and hasn't returned.

No idea if this has anything to do with anything, probably not, but it doesn't hurt to try I guess, but whatever the reason is, it is gone now, knock on wood. ;-)

• Thanks soooooo much. I was suffering from this issue for 5month now. And I could not do RMA because I got it from ebay.

I don't have a PS5 but I have a XBOX. For me the front USB was the faulty one. After reading your post I switched to the back USB port if the Xbox and played for 1h and hurray, the problem did not occur.

So for all XBOX users who have that problem just use the back USB port. (I used the upper one)

• Okay nevermind after some more days of testing the Grindy feeling is still there after 50min or more playtime

• At least for me the scratchy feeling was there for the first month, but now for over three months it has not happened anymore.

Not sure if it was fixed just by running in the wheel base or if it was fixed by drivers.

Anyways seems to work fine now.

• I got exactly the same issue after like 30-40 minutes of driving. Buzzy feeling in ffb and holding force. In every game. I opened a Service request but didnt receive an answer yet. Very disappointing for a costly dd pro with 8nm and many Investments into the fanatec Eco-System (2 Wheels, handbrake, shifter, etc…)

• Samuel LuceSamuel Luce Member
    edited May 2022

Hi all,

I recently RMA'd my CSL DD for the grainy/scratch feeling as this forum post discusses.

I actually referenced this forum discussion during the RMA process.

Results: Fanatec requested I return the DD Wheelbase to them with the boost kit 180 power supply. I got the same power supply back but they must have found something up with the original DD as a new one was sent to me. As much as the new base looks and mounts exactly the same, there is a noticeable difference in the cogging I feel when turning the wheel with the unit turned off. The original base would let the heaviest part of the wheel I use drop to the lowest point of rotation, but it now holds in any position I put the wheel. I've also had no experience in the grainy/scratchy feeling as yet. Very happy with the result!

If you're suffering the same, contact them, they are very helpful via email & it seems there may have been an internal update to the unit, as far as I can tell.

Sam