CSL DD feels scratchy

Comments

• Hey everyone,

Another quick update.

Tech Support replied last Friday and I have to send my base and technician will have a look and they'll try to repair or exchange the base.

Out of curiosity I've tried to drive a few laps in GT7 yesterday and there was a whole different behavior and I think it was because of the hot weather.

After turning the base on, vibrations after 3 minute use. After about 30mins suddenly the vibrations disappeared and the wheel felt great for another 30mins (whole base was pretty warm at this point but not boiling hot like my ps5). Turned off the base and on but unfortunately the vibrations appeared immediatly.

Anyway, will box up the base and wait for the RMA Mail.

• mines finally going back for a full refund and the wheel also as the red button stopped working.. probably to do with the vibrations

• did anyone actually get a working one in the end on this whole thread or at least a fix?

• I think so. There were several postings wich stated that the replaced units are working flawlessly.

Received RMA Mail today and bring it to DHL Office tomorrow. Will report back as soon as I receive it back.

P.S. RMA mail requested everything back wich was included in the box (PSU, cables, etc...). Maybe they'll replace it immediatly.

• i just recieved my simagic mini and my oh my head and shoulders above the csl dd

• Just got my wheel today.. grainy and scratchy like hell when in menus of gt7,

if i rest my hand on the wheel it kinda feels like i have a current going threw my hand, tried both front and back PS5 ports.

i wasent too sure if this was normal or not as iv upgraded from a G29 but after all day googling i found this thread.

so i left the wheel base unplugged for an hour tried it again! Boom gone felt soo smooth and amazing, but then 10 mins later it was back.

going on holiday next week so will RMA when i return.

so sad this is my experience after saving up for this bad boy

• vishnu get a refund not a replacement within 14 days as they have to and buy a simagic alpha mini trust me

• Would love to buy a simagic or moza too, but unfortunately there is no alternative when you play on console (PS5) only

• Vishnu PatelVishnu Patel Member
    edited June 2022

I have both PS5 and PC guys but it was GT7 that mainly made me pull the tigger from upgrading from the G29.. hence why i would love to keep the DD Pro..

i think if i was more into ACC or iracing i would have looked at simagic i think they have better features..

GT7 just made me fallin in love with Sim racing again, the campaign is just so engaging

• GIMX Adapter may solve your problem

• Wish I returned it..

Did an rma, sent it monday. Got my unit back today Friday...

Not a single communication to say what's been done, just got the same unit back 10/10 service.

• Check the invoices in my orders section in your account. There should be a new pdf.

If it's the same base you got back they changed the main pcba.

• Yeah i got an email back, apparently changed they changed main PCB.. but the issue was 1000% exatcly the same, i literally begged for a exchange witch is now going ahead.

I dont think it can be pcb related surly an issues with the magnets or motor..

Literally I had 0 change of feeling in that "repair"

• edited August 2022

Hello guys. Have the same problem with my Wheelbase, granny feeling after 15-60 min. of playing ACC. But the wheelbase gets warm first. I built a fan out of my computer for the test. Tested for two days now and the granny feeling is completely gone. My base is now always cold, no matter how strong I set the feedback and how long I drive ACC. Fan does his job very well. I keep testing, but it seems the wheelbases having a heat issue. Sorry for my bad english.

• Sorry to hear that.

Mine got a lot better after repair and switching my cheap P1 wheel with the clubsport RS reduced the vibrations almost completely. Maybe running in for a while did also help(i think someone mentioned that after about 1 month if use the vibrations disappeared).

• just set mine up yesterday, i noticed this within the first few hours of using it sadly. i'm convinced it's to do with temps, even tho the casing never gets warm.

using iracing as a test. went into a practice session, after a few laps, scratching starts. go back to the pits, leave it alone for a while, it's gone. went out and did a few more, it comes back. i can feel this when the car is stationary so i stopped the car, sat and waited and could actually feel the effect dying off over time.

later on i plugged in a fan pointed at the csl dd and did some laps, scratching didn't start. turned the fan off, sure enough it appeared. after a few more laps (no break) i turned the fan back on and could feel it slowly disappear again. to make sure i wasn't imagining it i did it twice more. fan off - scratching starts, fan on scratching stops (not immediately). seems fairly conclusive to do with heat based on that but base never feels warm to touch.

i note there are some new motor firmwares in this thread, has anyone had any luck testing beta firmwares 442 or 443 as well?

• This phenomenon is caused by the quality of the capacitor on the pcb. The temperature of the capacitor rises, the passive heat dissipation capacity is poor, and the high temperature will also greatly reduce the life of the capacitor. This problem cannot be solved by the firmware.

• That doesn't explain why the base feels scratchy sometimes right after switching it on. For me, the scratchy feeling was gone for a long time, but has returned. I also use a fan pointed at the base. After switching to default settings in the tuning menu, the scratchiness was gone again. I remember from some months ago that in ACC the scratchy feeling disappeared after I set the damper settings ingame to zero. I can reproduce it. Even after setting the tuning to default, the scratchiness comes back if I use the damper setting, and disappears when I set it to zero again.

Yesterday is was gone after using different settings, but I'm sure it will randomly return. I guess the base can't be trusted unfortunately, and when it is there it ruins the experience. But sending it back with these vague complaints, hmm, I don't know, you would be without a base for a while and you'll probably get it back the way it was.

• Torin MajidTorin Majid Member
    edited September 2022

I'm going to add my two cents and say I have a similar issue, not sure if its the same, but as soon as I turn on my wheel, there's this feeling of static (It's kinda hard to describe unless you feel it), and it just sticks around and doesn't go. I've tried 20khz and 18khz firmwear and still the same issue persists but with the 20khz I get a more 'scratchy' feeling as well as a static-ey feeling. 18khz feels fine but as soon as i hopped into iRacing, it felt worse then default as in the static felt stronger.

I've tried using a UK plug and an EU plug (with EU to UK adaptor). What I have found is that plugging it into a extesnion lead that isn't full of other plugs makes it feel slightly better.

I've had 2 RMAs on a first DD and then recived a replacement 2nd DD that continues with the same issues so i'm kinda stuck with what to do.

• Hi guys, same problem here, Fanatec sent me the 2 firmware (20 and 18 jhz), but is it necessary to reset the wheel before? or can i update manually directly the motor?

• is this like what you guys are seeing/hearing/talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/yuoc4Jt-z0g

• edited January 2023

Same thing here with DD1.

I bought one GT DD PRO Earlier this year, this issue happenned, sent it back, another one arrived, SAME ISSUE BUT WORSE.

Sent it back and got full refund, then bought from a friend who has a DD1 under warranty and in perfect condition...

EXACT SAME ISSUE AS GT DD PRO, like what ??? I don't understand. I love it but it's annoying.

• edited April 2023

Just returned my 4 week old gt Dd pro today. Hope the outcome is good. I really didn’t expect this issue to be a thing in 2023. :( did everyone else here get sorted or what was the outcome.

• Well at least in my case Fanatec has abandoned as much of their common sense as I have now abandoned the brand that I put 1400 Euro over the last years as a student working part time.

Queue two hours of playtime on the CSL DD which felt great. Then all of the symptoms above showed up and were here to stay.

I wrote a mini essay to support about how the problem feels while driving, since a video couldn't capture the grainy feeling, the weird oscillations on corner entry and mid corner, the static noise shooting through the wheel (lol I mean wtf). I told them a video wouldn't cut it.

With their first answer Fanatec told me to send over a video. I then pointed to this thread. Upon that i got the experimental (and outdated) 20 khz and 18 khz firmware. While the static noise got reduced, the FFB was still bad, I'd prefer my old Elite belt drive over that.

I then made the mistake of trying to give detailed feedback about the firmware versions and the remaining symptoms. Well according to technical support the coggy feeling is normal. Brushless motor, magnets yadda yadda and whatnot. I couldn't imagine spending three days of my holidays in a better way than to argue about whether a product I bought was faulty or not.

This led me to revoking the contract. Then support wrote that they could take a look at it. Well first of all I can imagine the answer I'll get from them and secondly, at least under german law (adjusted by EU directive) revokation of contract has to happen within a time frame of 14 days. This deadline does not get extended.

Four days later I contacted the sales team since I still wanted to return the base and I never got an RMA label. They asked me whether the unit I wanted to return was faulty or - to the best of my knowledge and conscience - working. Yeah I mean what do i know !?

The thing is, imagine you buy any other product, e.g. a modern smartphone. Who would tolerate an out of the box experience like that? Would anyone want to install and tinker around their apple or samsung product in a way that is THAT time consuming, only to get rejected like that?

Sad life.

• Shocking carry on. Iv an update on my account to say a new plastic QR is on the way. For a creaky gt wheel. Nothing to do with Qr. also no mention of whether my grainy issue is fixed or am I getting a new motor or not. Iv emailed them again.

• Did software eventually cure this issue guys I don’t see many posts the last 6 months?

• edited May 2023

Just an update 5 days after I got my Dd pro back. The static feeling is still there but only on power up. As soon as u enter the game it fully goes. No scratchy feeling now while driving like before. I suppose this is as good as I can ask for. It really does seem like emi issues.

• Just bought a new GT DD Pro and same here. Vibration feelings and that described squealing noise. Updated to the 20 KHz driver and squealing gone, but still feeling the vibrations and some micro impulses, like there’s current going on. Just don‘t know what to do now. It‘s okay while driving, but I feel like I got a faulty device that I have to accept because no PS5 Alternative there….shame….probably last Fanatec product I have bought….support ist still on it though. Let‘s see….

• I have a GT DD PRO (Third unit)

Still scratchy, tested on a unit of my friend, no scratchy feeling, POWERED UP IN THE SAME HOUSE SAME PC but different GT DD PRO.... This is insane but read further.

Same thing for PODIUM DD1, I asked a friend who lives 1 hour from me, I drove to his house, tested his DD1, no scratchy issues, but my DD1 has scratchy issues...

What a mess ? And Maurice Böschen told me multiple times it was due to the motor, but then why two same DD1 or GT DD PRO Powered up at the same house, same PC, same drivers, behave differently ?!

Only thing that fixed my GT DD PRO partially back in the day was those two test motors (18khz and 20khz), I tried to return the DD1 but the support told me the scratchy feeling was normal. Now I have my scratchy DD1 at home, FFB is good but as soon as I can i'm swicthing to simucube completely. Thank god fanatec products can be sold easly.

• This may help workaround that solved the problem for me I just ducktaped the metal stuff outside and inside.

It seems to work

I'm gonna ask for royalties for this lol