Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel - GT Sport Compatibility - UPDATE

Comments

• Older games not loser.
  • Thanks Fanatec for delivering !!!! Used tha wheel today and worked fantastic in compatibility mode !!! So happy with my purchase/ the vibration on the csvp3 pedals works nice too
  • So we lost the V2 Compatibility mode with this firmware on PC. In compatibility mode it shows now as 6 axis four button generic controller. Thanks for nothing. Really disappointing.
  • Here is the current official list which wheels are supported by gts:

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/manual/#!/controller/content02

Let's hope the CSL will be added soon.
  • I downloaded the new firmware onto my CLS Elite PS4 edition. Started playing GTS but with the suggested settings rally is impossible. On the track it is do-able in my opinion. But you have to turn the wheel really far for something to happen. Has anyone else got this problem?

For rally i started playing around with the tuning settings on the wheel i changed the SEN to 10/11 instead of auto that helped a bit. But when you countersteer it reacts so quickly your car flings to the other site.

Are there any people that are willing to share their ingame and wheelsettings for trackracing and rally?

For track I have gone with the Fanatec Suggested Settings but still find that you have to turn the wheel to much.
    For rally is used the Suggested Settings and set the SEN to 10/11 and the ingame steering sensitivity to 4. That made it somewhat more driveable
  • HI guys,

On Fanatec's page on Facebook, you can find the suggested settings for CSL ELite on GtSport

Luca,

Can you re-post them here please?  I do not have Facebook.

thanks,
    SA

Hi Scott,

here they are:

FEI OFF

Other values: DEFAULT (they suggest to reset the wheel tuning menù by pressing tuning menu button 10 sec)

- in game settings:

Max torque= 2

FFB Sensitivity= 1

• Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    So we lost the V2 Compatibility mode with this firmware on PC. In compatibility mode it shows now as 6 axis four button generic controller. Thanks for nothing. Really disappointing.
    I heard that there is a hidden V2 mode if you press the Mode button for 10 seconds. Please try that if you really need that mode ;)
  • ...The new update has opened up the chance to play older games. Fanatec has managed to turn a negative into a positive...
    That's why I want to send a wholehearted thank you to Thomas and his crew. I had some concerns after playing the demo but they all went up in smoke. And if I was somehow rude in my argumentation please take this for apology. I've learned a lesson, just be patient.
  • I downloaded the new firmware onto my CLS Elite PS4 edition. Started playing GTS but with the suggested settings rally is impossible. On the track it is do-able in my opinion. But you have to turn the wheel really far for something to happen. Has anyone else got this problem?

For rally i started playing around with the tuning settings on the wheel i changed the SEN to 10/11 instead of auto that helped a bit. But when you countersteer it reacts so quickly your car flings to the other site.

Are there any people that are willing to share their ingame and wheelsettings for trackracing and rally?

For track I have gone with the Fanatec Suggested Settings but still find that you have to turn the wheel to much.
    For rally is used the Suggested Settings and set the SEN to 10/11 and the ingame steering sensitivity to 4. That made it somewhat more driveable
    I found that happened to me once so I restarted the wheel and all was well again. But if this is the best ffb the gt series can offer I'm a bit let down. It's such a beautiful game and the online is definitely fun. But road feel is still awful and lacks definition.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    ...The new update has opened up the chance to play older games. Fanatec has managed to turn a negative into a positive...
    That's why I want to send a wholehearted thank you to Thomas and his crew. I had some concerns after playing the demo but they all went up in smoke. And if I was somehow rude in my argumentation please take this for apology. I've learned a lesson, just be patient.

No worries. This is an exciting hobby so sometimes it can get a bit emotional. Just be sure that we really listen to our community and we try everything to make you happy. Sometimes it is not possible but then it is not in our hands.
  • edited October 2017
    Off topic: I hope we will see some great offers on Black Friday on Nov. 24th. My whish would be a Clubsport shifter/handbrake bundle. Just my thoughts...
  • Black Friday is not off topic. Wish we get a nice PS4 bundle. Until then should be also some answers if it is better to buy TM TGT (because of the better support from Polyphony Digital) or the CSL Elite. I hope fanatec will be competitive to TM - I like the more realistic look. TM looks like a toy...
  • Black Friday is not off topic. Wish we get a nice PS4 bundle. Until then should be also some answers if it is better to buy TM TGT (because of the better support from Polyphony Digital) or the CSL Elite. I hope fanatec will be competitive to TM - I like the more realistic look. TM looks like a toy...
    They already offer bundles. https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/product/pc
  • Please don’t turn this into a Black Friday wish list. Stay on topic please.
  • So we lost the V2 Compatibility mode with this firmware on PC. In compatibility mode it shows now as 6 axis four button generic controller. Thanks for nothing. Really disappointing.
    I heard that there is a hidden V2 mode if you press the Mode button for 10 seconds. Please try that if you really need that mode ;)
    Thomas, many thanks for your personal support here! I will try it today when I'm home. Really appreciate it!
    (I really need it for OMSI2 - they cannot handle the CSL Elite - but OMSI2 is cool)
  • I'm aware things are subject to change if and when the wheel is fully intergrated as the CSL instead of the G29 emulation. But i've had real challenges across all racing titles (F1 2017, Assetto Corsa and now with GT) trying to dial in an informative yet smooth feedback system.

I've seen many comment how good things are but I myself am struggling to see those benefits and the same with Assetto Corsa. Using both BMW GT2 & Formula Carbon Clubsport rims. 

Thanks 
    Jonathan, agree although in my case it is with F12017, PCARS 2 and WRC7 as cancelled GTSPORT. I commented earlier that when using the Formula Carbon Rim you can see the digital display options on the wheel when in tuning menu but when you come out ( which you have to do to be able to control the game menu with the joystick ) you no longer get the gear number displaying. Is that the same with you ? Also back to the clunkiness in this update which  was addressed in the previous version when FEI was introduced.
    Also, 5 optional settings you can save on the wheel are really not enough  given that 1 setting isn't always the best for every car ) and would like to see Fanatec allow more so you could save not just additional settings but also name them on the display e.g. 5.1 (then submenu PC2 or WRC7  ) then SEN, FF etc
    Now I have added the handbrake PCARS 2 RALLYCROSS is the most fun I have had to date but given VR has so much potential think that the PS4 pro just won't cut it. Either have to wait for PS5 or more realistically  switch to PC. As for GTSPORT may just pass and see what GT7 eventually brings in another  4 years!
  • Anyone tried using a Drive Hub to play PS3 games but using the PS4 wheel, pedals, shifter etc
  • Bringing this back to GT, has anyone found some good baseline settings? I used the Fanatec suggested settings and reset the wheel tuning settings, and using the BMW rim it just feels heavy with no real controlled or informative feedback. More just a big wheel that moves instead of actually feeling anything as to what the car is doing.

I'm aware this base was designed for faster turning and the ability to have greater accuracy when moving the wheel but if we are unable to really get a sense of what the car is doing in relation to the inputs we make it can make driving very un natural and challenging. I'm not asking for the wheel to be ripped from our hands but also I don't want just a dull heavy wheel that gives no sense of road feel, curb or indeed tire forces when driving. 

I have the same issues with Assetto Corsa and with F1 2017. I'm aware that in the case of the CSL the setup tuning on the base has a large baring on it but am I wrong for perhaps thinking this type of tuning and versatility is too advanced for console? I just think back to my previous wheel (T300) and I felt as though the force distribution was far more informative and balanced. 

I want to enjoy my products that's why i've invested but ever since owning the product it's given nothing but headaches as to why the wheels feel this way and why despite all the statistics and breakdown of the wheels performance it doesn't translate into the users hands very well.

I'm accepting to that each title will be different and that alone is a reason as to why some experiences are better than others. But i'm left feeling like i'm steering with no great feel or sense of control and that is really a mind numbing thing to deal with.

Any advice is welcome, but the only way I can see this being resolved is for the developers to create a profiler per wheel which we edit from otherwise I think the wheel is too advanced for the options available at least at the moment as even "Default" Settings feel so strange with how everything changes per update. 

• edited October 2017
    I'm testing as we speak Jonathan I get the very weird feeling as if countersteer help is continously active even though I use expert level and it's turned off. These are my settings, with BMW rim. Best what I could make of feeling as much as I could in GTS. (sorry for sentence build, but I'm on my smartphone, and Fanatec forum does that) Wheel: SEN=AUT; FF=100; SHO=100; ABS=OFF; DRI= -05; FOR=80; SPR=OFF; DPR=OFF; BRF=100. In game: FFB Max. Torque AND FFB sensitivity both= 10 u
  • Cool, hopefully together as a community we can find a good vareity of settings. I don't blame the product I just feel very underwhelmed upgrading to Fanatec based upon its class leading performance i'm really not seeing it first hand which is making me question my buying choice having had the wheel since launch. 

Having used it both on Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, F1 2017 and now GT Sport i'm really struggling to be gripped by the titles with the wheel. Quite a few people have reported the same feelings that I have in other community spaces (Facebook, Youtube, ISR Forums) Perhaps I and others had pre conceived ideas about how good the product would be and therefore set our expectations too high but at present I'm not that happy with my product.

I know many will say they are and they have great experiences but if that's the case we should all have the same capacity to enjoy them thereafter and through what i've seen so far it's not living up to expectations whereby I actually somewhat regret the sale of my T300. Yes the rims are better and the pedals even though I had a LC pedal but for me the overall performance of the wheel base to what we experience when driving has been very underwhelming. 
  • Hello I've got the csl and pedals I've got the 335 update but when I put it in compatability mode it just stops recognising the wheel when should I put it in purple mode
  • After testing the CSL wheel for 6 hours on Gran Turismo, I have to say the following opinions:
    - Wheel is tilt lightly on the left. It occurs when I launch the GT sport.
    - It is very difficult for the steering to stay centered or with no movements. That means that the wheel shake in the center position even when I am in the menu. It is really annoying and dangerous. I almost broke the bottons trying to stiop it a couple of times. 
    - Force Feedback feels unreal. The performance the wheel had in games such us assetto corsa is not there anymore with the new update. The wheel feels weird, yo cannot predict what the road is transmitting to the wheel.
    - Blue light (ps4) is not working anymore. The only mode it works is the purple.
    - The wheel does not have a limit. For example, in assetto corsa I could establish the sensibility and at the and, the wheel stopped with the limit of the car turning. WIth the new firmware, that is not happening again. Please, help us with this topic. I am very disappointing.  

In general, I am very disappointing with the product. For features the wheels offers right now are not good for that prize. I would like to ask formally to Fanatec for a solution. I know it is hard with oily
  • I know from pc2, feel of curbs and road is next to nothing. But try
    Hello I've got the csl and pedals I've got the 335 update but when I put it in compatability mode it just stops recognising the wheel when should I put it in purple mode
    In PS menu. You have to push PS button again. With CSW wheels like BMW, push right joystick
  • What are peoples opinions on the feedback from GT? I've used Fanatec suggested settings and don't get much feedback more just a dull heavy wheel. All settings are default FEI is off. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Try FEI 100 and FOR 60 or 70 = lighter Wheel with great Feedback
  • After testing the CSL wheel for 6 hours on Gran Turismo, I have to say the following opinions:
    - Wheel is tilt lightly on the left. It occurs when I launch the GT sport.
    - It is very difficult for the steering to stay centered or with no movements. That means that the wheel shake in the center position even when I am in the menu. It is really annoying and dangerous. I almost broke the bottons trying to stiop it a couple of times. 
    - Force Feedback feels unreal. The performance the wheel had in games such us assetto corsa is not there anymore with the new update. The wheel feels weird, yo cannot predict what the road is transmitting to the wheel.
    - Blue light (ps4) is not working anymore. The only mode it works is the purple.
    - The wheel does not have a limit. For example, in assetto corsa I could establish the sensibility and at the and, the wheel stopped with the limit of the car turning. WIth the new firmware, that is not happening again. Please, help us with this topic. I am very disappointing.  

In general, I am very disappointing with the product. For features the wheels offers right now are not good for that prize. I would like to ask formally to Fanatec for a solution. I know it is hard with oily
    Calibrate your wheel in Fanatec function test window for first point. All the rest is to blame on the fact that we are using a G29 emulation and it's far from perfect in game. But doable. It's a temporary solution for this problem, and you should check page one of this topic for clarification.
  • I've been testing GT for around 2 or so hours now, drove a lot yesterday too and every car feels like you;re driving a tank with the CSL. I'm having extreme difficulty getting the car to turn and then feel what the tires are doing. Everything feels like your driving something that doesn't want to move just slumps around and with the BMW Rim it only accentuates these problems.

Whilst I appreciate we're using a G29 emulation with the options available we should be able to create a well rounded balanced setup that people can then adjust from to acquire personal preferences depending on what you look for when using a wheel and pedals. But at the moment certain challenges in GT (Driving school) feel impossible.

I've actually had to resort to using a DS4 to complete some and that gives me better response and feedback from the game than the wheel currently. I'm not sure but if this proceeds for the coming months if completely along with Assetto Corsa and F1 i'll be considering changing brands as whilst Fanatec is an industry leader in racing hardware thus far with the CSL it's just felt like one giant lump of heavy plastic instead of giving me and others the true sensations and feeling of driving.

All my settings are default and in game is the recommended settings. I tried a suggested above and it felt awful. Given I now have 4 racing titles none of them surpass my old technology at this moment in time with a supposidly far superior wheel base. 

Help!
  • I've been testing GT for around 2 or so hours now, drove a lot yesterday too and every car feels like you;re driving a tank with the CSL. I'm having extreme difficulty getting the car to turn and then feel what the tires are doing. Everything feels like your driving something that doesn't want to move just slumps around and with the BMW Rim it only accentuates these problems.

I'm not sure but if this proceeds for the coming months if completely along with Assetto Corsa and F1 i'll be considering changing brands as whilst Fanatec is an industry leader in racing hardware thus far with the CSL it's just felt like one giant lump of heavy plastic instead of giving me and others the true sensations and feeling of driving.

Given I now have 4 racing titles none of them surpass my old technology at this moment in time with a supposidly far superior wheel base. 

Help!
    Johnathan,

My disappointment thus far has mirrored yours.  My T300 is out at TM because it died (big surprise... rolleyes) and I upgraded to the CSL Elite to get away from the reliability issues of the TM line of products.  All I was expecting with the purchase was the feel of a T300 with a bit of added smoothness and a huge increase in reliability.  

So far I have not experienced anything in terms of feel.  Smooth, yes (before V293/335) and then not really (after v293/335).  Reliability, early days but seems robust.  but FEEL ... no way.  its just heavy, dead, and springy no matter which firmware, mode or game i try.

The engineer in me has tried individually adjusting each setting on the wheel and in game one setting at a time to try and isolate what is going wrong here but there is just nothing that gets this wheel feeling correct on any PS4 game I have tried.  I have gotten to settings that are "playable" but that's not what i thought i was investing in here.  The best settings i could find dont even compare to a G25 on GT5.

I'm not sure if the devs are not implementing the control of this device properly or if there is an issue with the firmware programming.  

Asetto Corsa 1.14 on PS4 Pro w/ a T300 Alcatara was my "gold standard" for feel and feedback on a PS4 ... and that wheel wasn't even directly recognized by AC.  CSL Elite wheel on AC 1.15 doesn't get me anywhere near where the T300 was in terms of feel or feedback. 

I'm just disappointed and frustrated at this point.  Not pointing any fingers since who really knows what the issue is...but SOMETHING isn't right. 

Once my T300 gets back from TM will have to re-configure my rig to do some back to back testing and see whether these issues are game related or device related.  I hope they are game related ... but i'm starting to get a sinking feeling about the $ invested into the CSL Elite.

Lastly...I'm holding out hope because it really is a nice piece of hardware.  I think there is just something amiss with it right now.

SA

I'm not sure but if this proceeds for the coming months if completely along with Assetto Corsa and F1 i'll be considering changing brands as whilst Fanatec is an industry leader in racing hardware thus far with the CSL it's just felt like one giant lump of heavy plastic instead of giving me and others the true sensations and feeling of driving.

Given I now have 4 racing titles none of them surpass my old technology at this moment in time with a supposidly far superior wheel base. 

Help!
    Johnathan,

My disappointment thus far has mirrored yours.  My T300 is out at TM because it died (big surprise... rolleyes) and I upgraded to the CSL Elite to get away from the reliability issues of the TM line of products.  All I was expecting with the purchase was the feel of a T300 with a bit of added smoothness and a huge increase in reliability.  

So far I have not experienced anything in terms of feel.  Smooth, yes (before V293/335) and then not really (after v293/335).  Reliability, early days but seems robust.  but FEEL ... no way.  its just heavy, dead, and springy no matter which firmware, mode or game i try.

The engineer in me has tried individually adjusting each setting on the wheel and in game one setting at a time to try and isolate what is going wrong here but there is just nothing that gets this wheel feeling correct on any PS4 game I have tried.  I have gotten to settings that are "playable" but that's not what i thought i was investing in here.  The best settings i could find dont even compare to a G25 on GT5.

I'm not sure if the devs are not implementing the control of this device properly or if there is an issue with the firmware programming.  

Asetto Corsa 1.14 on PS4 Pro w/ a T300 Alcatara was my "gold standard" for feel and feedback on a PS4 ... and that wheel wasn't even directly recognized by AC.  CSL Elite wheel on AC 1.15 doesn't get me anywhere near where the T300 was in terms of feel or feedback. 

I'm just disappointed and frustrated at this point.  Not pointing any fingers since who really knows what the issue is...but SOMETHING isn't right. 

Once my T300 gets back from TM will have to re-configure my rig to do some back to back testing and see whether these issues are game related or device related.  I hope they are game related ... but i'm starting to get a sinking feeling about the $ invested into the CSL Elite.

Lastly...I'm holding out hope because it really is a nice piece of hardware.  I think there is just something amiss with it right now.

SA
    Echo all your points,

I had a bodin solutions prototype load cell for my T3PA Pro's sure I would have liked more pedal travel but I like you feel like i've sunk a lot of money into the hardware and seeing nothing like I expected to in terms of performance. The fan comes on reguarly and it's more from the dull heavy feel of the wheel than any forces.

I think maybe Fanatec have come too early on PS4 or maybe their hardware isn't suitable for the console market given it's vast array of options and the limited possibilities that developers have available. 

Scott if you wish to add me on PS4 please do!
  • Guys here is a link to the ISR from youtube, for what they say the problem with FFB is not just our CSL Elite problem it complains about the low it feels with the T-GT (Thrustmaster Official Wheel), so hope it going to get better with future upgrades......

Have a nice race!!!!
  • Guys here is a link to the ISR from youtube, for what they say the problem with FFB is not just our CSL Elite problem it complains about the low it feels with the T-GT (Thrustmaster Official Wheel), so hope it going to get better with future upgrades......

Have a nice race!!!!
    For me it's not just this title. Assetto Corsa has one of the best physics engines in the whole of sim racing across all platforms and on the CSL it feels very dull, much like GT. F1 2017 I don't expect much fidelity as it's a arcade sim title but things like Project Cars 2, GT Sport, AC are the premium racing titles on console and all feel very much the same in their performance with the CSL Elite. The only rim that's felt okay was the original but I didn't like the so called quick release and wanted the Formula Rim for F1 and other cars in AC / GT Sport.

I think it's widely reported that many users are experiencing less than satisfactory levels of feedback and fidelity with this wheel base surprisingly given the acclaim that Fanatec have. I wouldn't put the GT issues down to that either more a performance issue that plagued the wheel base since launch at least in my experience. 

I won't use GT online till suitable FFB and turning is achieved as i'll be at a distinct disadvantage and danger to other drivers.