Advent Calendar 2018

Comments

• yeah im at the point where its not even fun anymore, its just random, who doesn't get an error wins :/

nice idea to make this kind of raffles but, get everyone in the pool and pick one
  • edited December 2018

• Those who live close to servers have a chance to win. Others can go and curse the guy at Fanatec who had this idea for this calendar because this SH@% doesn't work for others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For me page openned only at 7:02 and of course it is waaaaaay tooo late to get a slight chance to get the code!!!! 

Merry Christmas everyone! Except the guy who had this calendar idea......
  • The same here with 100 Mbit fiber, only errors from 18:55 to 19:03 and not a single refresh worked!
  • One thing, how can it be gone after 5 seconds if you cannot refresh the page for a good minute or so? Can somebody actually get it to work or what?
    Yes, if it doesn't work for you, it's probably  because other people have managed to go to the site.

In my case, i managed to refresh a page at 19:00 so it works but it's just really busy !
  • it was https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-gt-xbox-one-eu.html and it was gone at 7:00 less than 5 seconds...

Whoever won, would he mind to share the 10% code? I was really looking forward to this :(
    Wow!!! World record to find out this ítem. Patience guys, today is not my Lucky day. Maybe Tomorrow???

• it was https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-gt-xbox-one-eu.html and it was gone at 7:00 less than 5 seconds...

Whoever won, would he mind to share the 10% code? I was really looking forward to this :(
    how you can affirm it was gone in less than 5 seconds. I do not believe you, it's impossible i think on this product, maybe between 10 and 30 seconds or even more but not 5 seconds !!!
    Because I managed to load that page at 7:00:05 and it was saying that the code was already used.
  • edited December 2018

it was https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-gt-xbox-one-eu.html and it was gone at 7:00 less than 5 seconds...

how you can affirm it was gone in less than 5 seconds. I do not believe you, it's impossible i think on this product, maybe between 10 and 30 seconds or even more but not 5 seconds !!!
    Because I managed to load that page at 7:00:05 and it was saying that the code was already used.
    How you saw 19:00:05 ? you have a special application for that ?
  • yes, it's call a "clock" you can find one here https://time.is/CET
  • edited December 2018
    Error 500 all the time (100Mbit).
  • Pareil.......
  • What is the trick to NOT receive the message "bad gateway" ? ....

and how is it possible to use the code within 5 secs with this "lag" ?

The idea was nice, but the outworking is meeeh
  • If you won't find the code in the first minute it will be used already.

Even you find it faster there is usually a problem connecting to that page and by the time you connect to it the code is already used.

• I wish everyone would stop complaining. It is a competition. They are giving away items for free! Who else is doing this?

Ten's of thousands of people cannot access the site at the same time. Some will reach it, most won't. Out of the one's that get lucky reaching the site, 1 will click the button and be the first registered click to receive the code.

Think of it as 10,000 people trying to put their entry into a physical box at the same time. Only so many can reach the box. One lucky person wins.

In addition to this, there are plenty of sites that list where to find competitions, so not only do we have the Sim Racing fans trying to win, but anyone else that wants a chance to win a free product and sell it on ebay. OzBargain is an example site in Australia that shows where to find sales, comps, etc. https://www.ozbargain.com.au. Fantec is not listed here yet, but when it does there are bound to me more people in Aus attempting to win for the sake of it.

Another thing to consider, there are people smarter than us. People who develop websites & applications to automate the process of winning these type of competitions. Just like you can purchase ebay sniper bots that bid in the last second to reduce the chance of driving up price. They will just use a 'bot' to go through all of Fanatec's sites (provided they don't time out) and when it finds one that has a change (or looks for a specific line of code) it will click the button and win. It will be quicker than a human. This is why there is usually a clause that you can only win one prize (like the DD1 auctions). But they just pass the code onto their friends or sign up with another account and postal address.

At the end of the day, attempt to enter the comp if you want. If you are just going to get disappointed and angry, move onto something else. Life is too short.

Thanks Fanatec for offering the great comp. I have not seen any other manufacturer (sim or not) offer such a Fanatastic give away for Christmas! I am fairly new to the Fanatec Eco System, and am looking forward to my DD2 & F1 rim in April 2019 to complete my new setup.
  • I wish everyone would stop complaining. It is a competition. 
    Competition must be fair to all competitors with equal conditions and chances to win but not only for those who have 100Mbit internet connection and who live close to it's servers. I suppose that is general reason of all complaining :-?
  • I wish everyone would stop complaining. It is a competition. They are giving away items for free! Who else is doing this?

Ten's of thousands of people cannot access the site at the same time. Some will reach it, most won't. Out of the one's that get lucky reaching the site, 1 will click the button and be the first registered click to receive the code.

Think of it as 10,000 people trying to put their entry into a physical box at the same time. Only so many can reach the box. One lucky person wins.

In addition to this, there are plenty of sites that list where to find competitions, so not only do we have the Sim Racing fans trying to win, but anyone else that wants a chance to win a free product and sell it on ebay. OzBargain is an example site in Australia that shows where to find sales, comps, etc. https://www.ozbargain.com.au. Fantec is not listed here yet, but when it does there are bound to me more people in Aus attempting to win for the sake of it.

Another thing to consider, there are people smarter than us. People who develop websites & applications to automate the process of winning these type of competitions. Just like you can purchase ebay sniper bots that bid in the last second to reduce the chance of driving up price. They will just use a 'bot' to go through all of Fanatec's sites (provided they don't time out) and when it finds one that has a change (or looks for a specific line of code) it will click the button and win. It will be quicker than a human. This is why there is usually a clause that you can only win one prize (like the DD1 auctions). But they just pass the code onto their friends or sign up with another account and postal address.

At the end of the day, attempt to enter the comp if you want. If you are just going to get disappointed and angry, move onto something else. Life is too short.

Thanks Fanatec for offering the great comp. I have not seen any other manufacturer (sim or not) offer such a Fanatastic give away for Christmas! I am fairly new to the Fanatec Eco System, and am looking forward to my DD2 & F1 rim in April 2019 to complete my new setup.
    Hi Benjamin,

I agree. Especially, that not many companies giving their products for free. This is really generous from Fanatec.

The only issue is without bots you have almost no chance to find the code.

One has to be really lucky.
    1. to actually be able to connect to the website
    2. to refresh the website with the product that may contain the code
    3. to apply that code and finish order

Not sure how that works if there is actually a problem with reaching that website.

Anyway, everyone would like to own one of these great products and the best way is probably to buy it :)

Good luck to everyone. We still have a few more days.

Regards
    Martin
  • edited December 2018

• I wish everyone would stop complaining. It is a competition. 
    Competition must be fair to all competitors with equal conditions and chances to win but not only for those who have 100Mbit internet connection and who live close to it's servers. I suppose that is general reason of all complaining :-?

Your 100Mbit internet connection really has nothing to do with accessing the page. Having a 1000HP car in traffic does not get you to the front of the queue. You just have to be the lucky one that is able to access the site at exactly the right time. It is a random winner.

By the way, I am not clever enough to develop a bot, I don't know if anyone is using one for this comp, but I know they exist in general.
  • edited December 2018
    I would assume it's not a big deal to build such a bot and become a winner by cheating. It's possible but when you check your web server logs you should be able to detect the cheater. But I think the entire Fanatec community is trustworthy and nobody is cheating here. At least I want to believe that.
  • Your 100Mbit internet connection really has nothing to do with accessing the page. Having a 1000HP car in traffic does not get you to the front of the queue. You just have to be the lucky one that is able to access the site at exactly the right time. It is a random winner.

By the way, I am not clever enough to develop a bot, I don't know if anyone is using one for this comp, but I know they exist in general.
    Maybe not a bandwidth but a ping plays an important role.. 
    Regarding a bot - that was a first suggestion from my friend when I described him competition rules. But we aren't good at this.
  • With server response related latencies such bot would be as useful as pressing F5 every a couple of seconds, so pointless really.
  • With server response related latencies such bot would be as useful as pressing F5 every a couple of seconds, so pointless really.
    I agree, as per my earlier comment.
    But in Australia, we had no such issue with page errors. I was able to press F5 rapidly across 10 different pages across my triple screens constantly without any issues.
    I just didn't have the right page open for the product of the night
  • F1 esports wheel for U.S.
  • For the winner of the F1 wheel, care to share one of the 10% off coupons? I'd greatly appreciate it :)
  • F1 esports wheel for U.S.?

Who won his? I was on this page and never saw any coupon code. Where was this coupon code mentioned?
  • Congrats to the winner. If i could get a 10% code that would make my day. Thanks
  • Tonight was the first night I had a bunch of the 500 type errors.  Have a feeling the script kiddies have figured a way out to auto refresh/hunt for the code to click and are basically DDOSing the site.

Not going to stop me from trying though :)
  • Well done to the Aus winner for the 

ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2

• Yes, it's a good idea.

A 100% free code, makes that people bid for products even they don't like/need it, but they bid because it's free and probably that products will be reselled in E-Bay. With a 20% discount only legitime coustomers who really wants/needs a product, will pay for it.
    I completely agree. That would be much better and simpler with no website crashes, this system right now is too complicated and does not work, if 90 % of the people can't participate because of 500 error. Give us - 20%  on a particular product each day for a few hours and make many of us happier. occam's razor really