Podium Wheel Bases (and Racing Wheels) discussion

Comments

• edited December 2019

did you calibrated the Motor?

Btw, what you mentioned are drivers, not firmwares. Not to confuse anyone...^^

• I made calibration and updated motor firmware and base firmware each time I tried a new driver. Missed something?

• After a motor firmware flash you HAVE TO do the motor calibration process as described in the big pop-up message which comes up after a motor firmware flash. That calibrations enables the anti Cogging to eliminate the Cogging you are feeling.

• edited December 2019

You seem to don't understand me. I made this calibration (anti cogging without the wheel), I've got the base for about two months, I know these things.

I m not speaking about little cogging, i'm speaking about something quite inusable in game.

Moreover when I turn the wheel left to right rapidly many time, it feels like a vibration inside.

• Hello I am currently using a DD2 base and I’d like to see if there are ways to hook up the Podium Hub with the standard shifter that came with the Clubsport Steering Wheel Formula v2. Reason being I have ordered the Podium Steering Wheel Porsche that included the APM but I’d like to use the APM on the Formula wheel v2 instead and just leave the standard shifter on the Poduim Hub with the Porsche Wheel with of course the button module. I noticed the APM has 6 connectors per side ( given it has 2 digital and 1 analogue switches ) while the standard shifter only has 2 connectors. Will the plug of the standard shifter fit into the Podium hub socket and will they work with just having one digital switch active instead?

• Still investigating. The problem is ONLY when I use the curves in oled display. Really curious.

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

So when you are on a different screen like the big Fanatec logo the issues are not happening?

It would be interesting to know your Tuning Menu and in-game settings and if this is also the case when you have no game running.

• Hey guys,

Couple of days ago my DD1 base decided to stop giving power to my wheel. I've tried both my wheels and none of the is getting any power. I reinstalled the drivers, tried even the one still in beta with no success.

Here is a youtube video of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6JOj0R_PrM

Here is a screenshot of the fanatec drivers: https://imgur.com/a/VofDF3K

This sounds like a hardware defect, please contact support.

Btw. the YouTube link is not working for me, it leads to the main page instead of a video.

It's probably the wireless system failing, contact support.

• Is there any plans to bring the graph/information output on the DD readout into the Fanalab software. I run VR and are not able to read the graphs or temps on the base and it woudl be useful if this was in fanalabs or other environment then I could read when racng in VR

Manythanks

• edited December 2019

Hello i made other post but may get a better answer here. When i start my DD1 base, after few minutes, even if im not in a game, the feeling when rotating the wheel changes and i can feel 11 cog , i guess this is whats called coggin. if i reset the base its gone , i still can feel something but smoth and a lot of less cogs. It happened with every driver iv tried, now its updated to the last one, also the motor, and with calibration done.

Is this hardware or software related? Do i need to send it to check to fanatec? When i restart the base it works fore more time without being again noticiable those 11 bumps/cogs without problems.

If you have DD1 wheel base please try this:

• Start the base on desktop
    • Check that there is no cogging
    • Wait 10 minutes
    • Check again moving the wheel slowly to check if u can feel those 11 jumps/cogs
    • reset the base again to check if it goes away.

You maybe think that when starting the game cogin should disapear but for me its not the case.

When i move the wheel fast left to right i can feel some friction inside (i even can feel it on my 80/40 rig) and also i dont know if this is normal.

Thanks for the help.

• edited December 2019

ok guys i been done a lot of tests (feel a bit like a beta tester) i was wrong and this does not happen with all drivers / fw, this only happens with the last driver and motor FW 352/669/38. Iv tested the 335 driver and 346 driver with motor V30 and i dont get any coggin ( stll get a little but i think its normal please tell me if its supposed to not feel anything) . I sent a mail to support . I hope fanatec developers can look into this because theres is something diferent with anticoging algorythms in the last fw and something doesnt feel right . I love the way the wheel feels with latest drivers (performance update) but this made me go back to 346. I hope it can be fixed.

• Still doing more tests, what i guess its happening is that with the newest drivers coging in my wheel are more noticiable, but on older drivers the cogging still there but a lot less noticiable, so i guess its posible my wheel has some cogin problem. I hope fanatec get in touch with me via mail and they can check my base.

• I really need help and clarification about this before i open a RMA. Iv heard that with the DD1 / DD2 off you have coggin and when u start the base it disapear. Thats not my case and i even get more coging with it powered on. Should i send a ticket to support? Im scared to send a 1200E product.

• edited December 2019

Victor Martin Osset i do have a cogin feeling wen my DD 1 is off ( not heavy),that’s the inverted motor nature, but wen is on I don’t. I do notice one thing though,after the new driver every time I turn off the wheel often I hear a little clunk noise and slight move of the wheel.

edited January 2020

When you had the newer versions installed, did you run the calibration and did it make a difference? Was it with or without a game running or did it change with a specific setting? Do you have a specific info screen visible on the DD display when feeling the cogging?

• I would find it very useful if Fanatec added a digital clock to the OLED screen. Ideally it would be one of the screens you can cycle through.

• edited January 2020

I have the same problem. It only worked for two days after I received it. Now the rim is not detected and does not seem to receive power.

Support told me to update the drivers but they were already the latest. Still waiting for another response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWwmVLIKSXE

• edited January 2020

There is some news about this, three months ago of your last comment... and there is no news about it

Thanks

Regards

• At this rate, seems like Simmagic, is not a bad choice for Direct Drive, the price is enticing, the rims both the GT and Formula looks sturdy asf. I'm not fussed about having an oled display as I'm in VR and many many people are going that VR route. more so now that you can pick up a used rift for as little as £150

And more to the point the wireless QR seems to have no flex at all going by what most if not all the YouTube reviewers are saying.

It honestly cant be that hard to RnD a wireless QR, even Simmagic have recently improved on thier already trusted QR.

For goodness sake Fanatec get this together man. Just make the new QR an option to buy, wheel and base end

We are working on a new QR but it can't re released instantly without a lot more other things to keep in check. As the majority of currently available wheels and what people have at home won't be compatible with a re-designed QR. It takes more time for us because we have sold 100s of thousands of wheels and have this QR since 10+years now. Of course someone with almost zero user base coming up with something new instead of having to adapt something that has been developed a decade ago can be more free in his choice of doing things. It's not like we are ignoring this issue or not wanting to solve it.

• Well thanks for the response, Marcel. It's good to know that you guys are on it, and are looking to resolve this big issue, that is currently more evident on most of the Direct Drive systems that Fanatec have produced. As well as some of the CSW.

I just hoped that we would of gotten more information from you guys. Especially since the pre-release fiasco you guys had with DD bases with a lot of folks and I mean alot of folks, being very much displeased with minimal updated communication.

It cant be hard just to say, "Hey guys were still working hard to resolve blah blah issues. Bear with us" periodically or even form time to time. Just to set your costumers at ease.

But thanks for responding Marcel

• I'm enjoying my DD1 but my rig doesn't have a angle adjustment for the wheelbase. Something like the 20° mounting adapter available with the ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 would be a nice accessory. ( Are you listening Fanatec? ) Have any of you guy's found a angled mounting solution for your rigs?

• I originally used a high-density rubber ramp cut to size with a sharp knife & extended screws to suit. Worked great, but yes there is probably slight flex, but realistically my whole rig flexed a lot more than the rubber when using this DD2 (much stronger than the original Thrustmaster T300RS).

I have since upgraded to a NLR GT Track Motion Rig, which has the adjustable angle & is quite a bit more sturdy than my NLR GT Ultimate V2

• Luigi DantinoLuigi Dantino Member
    edited January 2020

That's exactly what I'm looking for, except in metal. I'll keep searching other sim rig manufactures and see if I can find a attachment that I can retro fit to my old GamePod GT2.

If your mounting plate is not longer than the angled adapter of the CSW you can use it for the DD as well. It's not available in the shop but you might find one used or through contacting support.