Podium Wheel Bases (and Racing Wheels) discussion

Comments

• Guys I'm getting fed up by my issue, and Fanatec doesn't give me clear indications that they have checked the issue on their end. I've been mailing back and forth thousand of times, and we are getting nowhere in solving this issue.

Issue: DD1 is smooth at startup of the base. But after about two hours, it becomes coggy.. Like a belt driven wheel and it is not smooth anymore... As if the magnets got thousands of volts stored in them.. When I turn the wheel, it's stepping/cogging all the way around... If I RESTART the wheelbase, everything is smooth again. But after a while it becomes un-smooth... Can anyone verify this for me? Play with it a few hours and see.. I'm using torque.

I have tested every driver since 337, aswell as firmwares and motor drivers. The issue is persistent on ALL drivers... Fanatec hints to me that it could be software, but seeing that it's persistent problem across all drivers, it's likely not.. Fanatec also suggest that i can send it back, but they say that if they don't find anything wrong with my wheel, they will charge me for shipping.. It indicates that they do not believe me.

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

Do you have a analysis screen visible at the DD display while cogging happens? Haven't heard of a time dependent cogging or similar yet.

What are your FFB settings and with which games does it happen?

• It happens on all games. I sent my screen oleds to Fanatec support, they said everything looks normal. I'm using same settings as most others do, 100% ffb with the torque, but ingame gain at around 30%.. happens in all games, ac, acc, iracing, rf2 etc. Games that makes the ffb work... The wheel can even stay on untouched for a few hors, and it still happens.. I asked my fellow league mates about it, they do not have this issue.

You've said you've tried different drivers, which ones and did you change the firmware as well?

For example could you compare driver 346 and the firmware it contains with 352 if not done already and see if it happens with both?

I didn't know this issue and I can't reproduce it yet so it looks like a potential hardware problem if different firmware really does not maky any difference.

What are the rest of your settings and did you try to change some of them to find out if a setting might be causing it?

• edited February 2020

I tried 337, 346, 347, 352 and 356. Firmware and motor firmware was also upgraded/downgraded.. It happens on all of them, exactly the same..

But yesterday after I posted the last message, I found out that if I dip the FFB down to 95%, the problem disappears... The problem only appears if I have 100% FFB on the Outrunner motor... It seems like the magnet gets "supercharged" after a while, and that the issue appears when they are "supercharged". Don't know how else to explain it.. But as soon as I dip the FFB down to 95%, the issue is gone, completely gone.. And the wheel is super smooth again...

@Marcel Pfister can you guys test this with DD1 and 100% force feedback? After 1h30m or 2h, the issue should appear ever so slightly, with small smooth movements.. I have naturan damper to 25 and NFR to 5.. Rest is default.

Also, here is an older video of me explaining the problem to Support (CRM:000074010005): https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvqydetirf3h5l2/VID_20200119_232109.mp4?dl=0

• What is the temperature after 1h30m / 2h with 100% FFB strength?

• The exact same temperature as when starting it up. No difference.. Screenshots of the OLED has already been sent to Fanatec Support and verified "OK". So no issues there.

• ***I forgot to tag/quote you. Posting again***

I tried 337, 346, 347, 352 and 356. Firmware and motor firmware was also upgraded/downgraded.. It happens on all of them, exactly the same..

But yesterday after I posted the last message, I found out that if I dip the FFB down to 95%, the problem disappears... The problem only appears if I have 100% FFB on the Outrunner motor... It seems like the magnet gets "supercharged" after a while, and that the issue appears when they are "supercharged". Don't know how else to explain it.. But as soon as I dip the FFB down to 95%, the issue is gone, completely gone.. And the wheel is super smooth again...

@Marcel Pfister can you guys test this with DD1 and 100% force feedback? After 1h30m or 2h, the issue should appear ever so slightly, with small smooth movements.. I have naturan damper to 25 and NFR to 5.. Rest is default.

Also, here is an older video of me explaining the problem to Support (CRM:000074010005): https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvqydetirf3h5l2/VID_20200119_232109.mp4?dl=0

• I have now also had three other people in my iRacing Scandinavia league test the same with their Podiums. They do NOT have this issue. I suspect it's related to some rare Outrunner motors.. There were one other guy in my forum post who had the same issue on his.. Let me know what to do next to resolve this -Kim

• Hello people two questions,

I have a DD1 PS4 edition, is it normal that with the PC turned off the FFB is active and cannot turn the steering wheel more than 180º of the force it does?

I have the recent drivers (not beta) and it appears as a 108 device instead of the Fanatec DD1 base. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Thanks we will take a look at this but never heard of it before which is weird when it happens on every firmware version.

Yes, if the PC is off or USB is not connected a spring is active turning the wheel to the center, that's normal behavior for all our bases.

• edited February 2020

I got a mail from Support that they want to RMA my Podium. I am not home until Tuesday next week to be able to bring him my serial number for RMA purposes. I was wondering if you guys could check this on your own Podiums this week? So that it has been thoroughly tested on your own Podiums before I go ahead and send away my own.

1. My Podium, when the error appeared had “SETUP 2” activated with 100% FFB and torque key activated. NDP set to 25% and NFR to 5%.. Damper and Spring were both at 0%.. Boot the wheelbase with these settings already active
    2. Wheel must be on for about two hours.. If possible, play some games to put some more strain to the wheel. It’s good for testing purposes
    3. After two hours, if you turn the wheel carefully and slow, you will feel the resistance. It feels like the magnets has been “supercharged” or “overcharged”.. They all pull hard in different directions.. You can count 11 humps from start to finish (12o clock to 12o clock)
  • Exact the same problem here on my new DD1, received yesterday. Did you fix It? Thx!!

edited February 2020

Can you take a look at the troubleshooting section of this instructions? There I've explained which procedures can help with a wheel base not showing up in the gamecontroller overview.

These are new, product independent instructions I want to include in every future driver package.

Let me know if this could help. In addition you can try an older driver, the product page of the DD1 also has version 335 listed.

• edited February 2020

Thx Marcel, i've try several firmwares but same problem on all, motor firmware set to 0 and upgrade software not working, and of course, none of my rims detected.

Document reviewed, thats the process i did so no solution there :(

Sad to hear that it still doesn't work, sorry I couldn't help you with this, you should contact support so they can check if this is a defect. Hope then can solve it quickly for you.

• Hey. Have you guys been able to replicate this issue on your own bases?

• Jim LeeJim Lee Member
    edited February 2020

What do you need to see the ITM on the DD2 wheel base?

I have installed Fanalab 1.24 beta, ITM.reg but unless I have the Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R installed, only legacy shows when I have the Formula 1 v1 installed or older UHX wheel (pre-XBox) installed. Do really need the Podium Button Module Endurance to be able to see additional ITM information on the DD2 base (like I can with PBEM)?

Can anyone explain / clarify this for me.🤔

TIA

• I have firmware 670, driver 356, motor 38. Fanalabs 1.24 beta ... but with non podium wheel it only shows me legacy display (Gears and Speed) is there someway to select the other ITM like LAP, ETC?

Again TIA

• You need to press Tuning Menu Button and push the Funky switch up to go to Legacy screen, then press and hold Tuning Menu button and push Funky switch left or right to cycle through the ITM pages.

• Nevermind, I finally got it right 😔 by rereading the P-BME Quick Guide. Sorry, thanks again for your response.

• How to get Fanalab 1.24 beta ???

• Download "P BME Software Package v1.2" from Button Module or Porsche wheel page

• Maurice,

Has any thought been given making the ITM selection easier, such being able to assign a keyboard or button module press to cycle selection in game (right now it requires both hands for most people)? 🍒Thanks again for your help.

• Unfortunately that's not going to change.

But very soon you can select the ITM pages also in FanaLab and some other very cool features are coming.... ;)

• I have the Clubsport V2 wheel and the Podium Advanced Paddle Module set, would you know if I can use the 1.24 version of the Fanalab beta or just who owns the Porsche wheel?